Operation : Schmidt

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I predict there will be maps, scenarios, a magazine with articles, some rules pages, and possibly counters.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will "Operation Schmidt" come in a box?
Probably not. It will consist of scenarios, probably a couple half sheets of counters, CG rules, and the maps. The biggest thickness will taken up by the maps. I've done some preliminary dividing up of the map and we are looking at 6 total 22"x 34" map sheets. Vossenack will take 2 of those, the Schmidt map will take 4 (think Festung Budapest in size).

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably not. It will consist of scenarios, probably a couple half sheets of counters, CG rules, and the maps. The biggest thickness will taken up by the maps. I've done some preliminary dividing up of the map and we are looking at 6 total 22"x 34" map sheets. Vossenack will take 2 of those, the Schmidt map will take 4 (think Festung Budapest in size).
Thanks for the info - really appreciate the info re the maps!
Really looking forward to this one.
BFP's first HASL - magic is about to happen - I expect to see stars when I open "Operaton:Schmidt"!!!

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that your silly tourney is over, I'm sure you are ALL hard at work on this project.. So what? August? September??! Surely not November?!?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought I'd post a few images here of some of what I've been working on. Been going over the maps (just never satisfied, it seems), and been generating the last few counters that we are needing and getting counter layouts finalized. It looks like OS will have 2.5 counter sheets (2x1/2" sheets and 0.5x5/8" sheet), 6 map sheets (2 for Voss, 4 for Schmidt) along with CG rules and articles (~35 pages) and 17 scenarios. The CG takes place on the Schmidt map and covers 7 CG dates. We have also done a CG-like scenario on the Voss map (25 turns, with 4 opportunities to use CPP to buy during the scenario). We are getting close on this one. We have one more scenario to wrap up, and I just need to call the maps 'good enough'.
usC227.png us81L.png ge228C.png Schmidt.png

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks great, but do we really need more counters? It is such a pain rooting around the counter mix looking for those special types of counters, and you guys do alot of special counters. Will there be an option to but OS without counters?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks great, but do we really need more counters? It is such a pain rooting around the counter mix looking for those special types of counters, and you guys do alot of special counters. Will there be an option to but OS without counters?
There really isn't that much that is 'new' from a counter standpoint with this. Actually most of the counters are associated with the CG. We have to make the assumption that folks have the basics (just a single copy of BV, Yanks) in playing the scenarios/CG. Given the counter density on the CG, we had no choice but to supplement those core counter sets. For example, if one were to buy all the possible German infantry RGs, we'd be looking at a possible 96 German 467s on the map. Given that BV only gives you 26, you can see the issue. If you already have a couple copies of BV, or supplements from other HASLs, then you probably won't need to punch any of these out. But if someone can't play the CG because there aren't enough counters, that's a problem.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You forgot your usual go to move of "wonky SSRs." :D

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I thought I'd post a few images here of some of what I've been working on. Been going over the maps (just never satisfied, it seems), and been generating the last few counters that we are needing and getting counter layouts finalized. It looks like OS will have 2.5 counter sheets (2x1/2" sheets and 0.5x5/8" sheet), 6 map sheets (2 for Voss, 4 for Schmidt) along with CG rules and articles (~35 pages) and 17 scenarios. The CG takes place on the Schmidt map and covers 7 CG dates. We have also done a CG-like scenario on the Voss map (25 turns, with 4 opportunities to use CPP to buy during the scenario). We are getting close on this one. We have one more scenario to wrap up, and I just need to call the maps 'good enough'.
View attachment 2560 View attachment 2561 View attachment 2562 View attachment 2559
Great CG though, I might add!!!

Question - since I have probably lost my mind - what's the "11" about? On the crew counters. Battlefield Integrity?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have no problem with extra counters if they are completely equivalent to existing ones (and justified by the CG's needs). It just means I need to decide on an "overflow" system for a bit more counters, but that's OK. Plus, these seem to look quite nice, and BFP have shown how dedicated they are to provinding quality material (witness the free replacement counters for earlier products when the originals had distinctively whiter sides).

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate the fact that you are including extra counters to cover OB shortfalls, but the artwork is so different that you have to put those counters in a separate bin, might as well spend a few bucks on an extra Yanks and BV instead of having to deal with counters that will be very graphically different then whats published officially. Please for the luv of gawd, keep the MG's the same as official MG's, the biggest hurdle in setting up a PiF or B&J scenario is trying to find dozens of special MG's for that scenario. I'm not trying to be lazy, but I prefer to set up a scenario as quickly as possible and not spend 30 or so extra minutes trying to find that 4-10 MMG with a B#11 amongst 100 other MMG's with b#11's. Basically I want to set up a scenario and not have to root though hundreds of special counters to do so.