Operation : Schmidt

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received a clean M20 counter in the mail today. AWESOME service. Thanks guys!

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
OS is GREAT!
Gone is my dining room table for a while as it now the hardwood "sandbox" for the Voss map with the counters out and set up once already.
Now looking at a second set up as the implications of a WIDE open ground entry has caused some second thoughts on the German set up!.

Map sections are an excellent idea as they can be used in sections.
Counters are excellent (as usual).
Wide selection of scenario sizes, lengths and armaments... could not be better!

Kudos to Chas and crew at BFP!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That looks like something like an oil spot on the printing plate. If they are all the exact same counter then that can be fixed with a replacement counter in BFP's next release. I have yet to get my copies (via SCG, England), but if I have a similar problem I will be happy to wait for it to be fixed, especially if only one counter.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That looks like something like an oil spot on the printing plate. If they are all the exact same counter then that can be fixed with a replacement counter in BFP's next release. I have yet to get my copies (via SCG, England), but if I have a similar problem I will be happy to wait for it to be fixed, especially if only one counter.
That's most likely what we'll probably wind up doing, Paul. We did that for the Polish HMG counter errata update with our ITR2 counters.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
How come no images of the maps posted anywhere?

Glossy maps do generally create more glare problems. Maybe BFP can test spray a map with Krylon Matte Finish #1321 and see if that improves things very much..

Is there no market for unwanted spare counters? I've got ebay modules that are missing swathes of counters -- anything that was a replacement for an error in a previous product is also usually gone. Specialty counters like the "arrows" for denoting CG areas of control are often missing too.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dan,
There have been several images out on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212768671464172&set=pcb.1730586493671852&type=3&theater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1982620692061934&set=p.1982620692061934&type=3&theater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212478364327486&set=gm.10159872103555029&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Unfortunately there is a limit of 1 meg for uploads, so these are pretty low res. The one on the left is Vossenack. The one on the right is Schmidt/Kommerscheidt.

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Interesting.

I am somewhat surprised that the Kall trail with the Mestrenger Mühle from Vossenack to Kommerscheidt is not covered.
But I did not follow the development of OS in detail and looking at the scale of the Vossenack and Schmidt maps, the Kall trail would definitively not have fit within the scope what is doable on a common map. The only possibility would have been a seperate map for it but the terrein might have created technical issues with many levels and LOS mostly being blocked ASL-wise by trees and woods.

von Marwitz

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting.

I am somewhat surprised that the Kall trail with the Mestrenger Mühle from Vossenack to Kommerscheidt is not covered.
But I did not follow the development of OS in detail and looking at the scale of the Vossenack and Schmidt maps, the Kall trail would definitively not have fit within the scope what is doable on a common map. The only possibility would have been a seperate map for it but the terrein might have created technical issues with many levels and LOS mostly being blocked ASL-wise by trees and woods.

von Marwitz
Simplest answer on why the Kall River valley isn't included is because there were very few actions there. It would have meant a lot more terrain/map with very little benefit. So a tradeoff issue, though it would certainly be feasible to connect the Voss and S/K maps, it just wasn't practical.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Simplest answer on why the Kall River valley isn't included is because there were very few actions there. It would have meant a lot more terrain/map with very little benefit. So a tradeoff issue, though it would certainly be feasible to connect the Voss and S/K maps, it just wasn't practical.
It's been quite a long time since I read about Vossenack and the Kall trail, so I don't remember how many actions there were on the latter. What I do remember was that the US had a hell of a time navigating it with their vehicles - but this may well have been without being under fire for most of the time.

I have been on site in Vossenack, the Kall trail, and Simonskall a couple of years ago. From the "real life" perspective, the Kall valley looked very interesting. The area around Vossenack and Schmidt is quite open, which is captured quite well on your maps.

von Marwitz

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In OS-17
Is the Max limit for the purchase pools a per turn or per game limit?
Sorry if this is stated somewhere but I can't find it.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Apart from the multiple back and forths between Chicago and Warsaw with a toilet/rest break in London and a complete orbit over both Chicago and Warsaw, Chicago to Warsaw in 2 hours and 4 minutes! The distance is 4,664 miles, so allowing, say, only 10 minutes to land/take-off each end and (un)load that's over 2,600 mph, 400 mph faster than a SR-71!

So either they are using some retired black book aircraft or someone in USPS is yanking everyone's chain and wondering if anyone notices.
Not quite the same thing, but this article made me think of this sub-thread.

WHEN RANDAL MILES woke up from a nap during his flight from Los Angeles to Paris last week, he opened the interactive map on his seat-back screen to see how much longer he'd be in the air. But the number that caught his eye was the jet's speed. The Norwegian jet was flying at 770 mph—about 200 mph faster than its standard cruising velocity. “I thought, ‘Damn, this thing is hauling ass,’” Miles says. “I thought I was either sleepy or it was reading wrong.”
https://www.wired.com/story/norwegian-air-transatlantic-speed-record/