Operation Overlord Round 2 - Confusion Reigns

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
sneak a peek

Thanks, but I'll wait until my round with Karl is finished before I have a look.

He (Americans) is already slapping me around like the newbie that I am. I'm forced to implement plan C :-( .......

Priest

Reaction score
CPRad said:
He (Americans) is already slapping me around like the newbie that I am. I'm forced to implement plan C :-( .......
Me too, I've whacked about seven of Alan's German HS, but, I'm starting to lose him off the north edge of the board. :argh:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Priest said:
...but, I'm starting to lose him off the north edge of the board.
That was going to be my strategy as the Germans, but then I got the opportunity to grab a bunch of German prisoners and take one a US Stack with PBF and advance in for CC... my guys who were attempting to run off the board turned around and came sprinting back to try and get their share of the action! ;)

Priest

Reaction score
You know Reepicheep with the ability of the Germans to escape off the north edge of the board I'm having a hard time with the play balance being on the American side.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Priest said:
You know Reepicheep with the ability of the Germans to escape off the north edge of the board I'm having a hard time with the play balance being on the American side.
No doubt that's why the movement restrictions are in place; to make it more difficult for the Germans to succesfully escape sufficient CVP.

So if the American's are going to counter this strategy, they need to get up there quickly so that any escapees can get cut down in flight. Or, overwhelm a lightly held perimeter (attempting to delay the Americans) so as to get into the action quickly.

My thoughts, anyway, for what they're worth.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:
No doubt that's why the movement restrictions are in place; to make it more difficult for the Germans to succesfully escape sufficient CVP.

So if the American's are going to counter this strategy, they need to get up there quickly so that any escapees can get cut down in flight. Or, overwhelm a lightly held perimeter (attempting to delay the Americans) so as to get into the action quickly.
I found that setting up a firebase (MMG347x2,9-2) on level 2 of the building 1Y3 is a good deterrent for the German from fleeing the kesselschlacht. With a
possible 8-4 attack out to 10 hexes and 4-4 to 20 hexes, the German will definitely prefer to stay and fight it out.

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
ToxicShock said:
I found that setting up a firebase (MMG347x2,9-2) on level 2 of the building 1Y3 is a good deterrent for the German from fleeing the kesselschlacht. With a
possible 8-4 attack out to 10 hexes and 4-4 to 20 hexes, the German will definitely prefer to stay and fight it out.
Agree. I am the victim ;) of this tactic. Note that a 8-4 attack means a NMC (if attacker rolls 12) or worse. Any ideas about how to deal with these MGs?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Minaya said:
Agree. I am the victim ;) of this tactic. Note that a 8-4 attack means a NMC (if attacker rolls 12) or worse. Any ideas about how to deal with these MGs?
Actually, if the attacker rolls a 12 the MMG's will break! ;)

But, no board in front of me now, it sounds like a reasonable question to ask. It would seem to me that staying and fighting is probably the best tactic if you face such a strong defence preventing you from running.

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Minaya said:
Any ideas about how to deal with these MGs?
As with any kill stack it helps to stay out of its LOS.
In the case of this scenario, the Germans need to setup in such a way as to reduce the effectiveness of the board 1 level 2 locations. There are many hexes on board 24 that are blind to all of the level 2 locations.
Another way is good old TEM.
I noticed in your setup, Minaya, that you had many squads in open ground and brush. That's just asking to get whacked. The trees might be a little dangerous, due to mortar fire, but nothing like the 8-2 shots that you had dealt out to you in the brush.
Another trick is to give the kill stack a less desirable, but dangerous, target in good TEM to shoot at instead. This is a gamble, admittedly, but it keeps the more vulnarable targets from getting blasted and the decoy target may stand to be broken but not killed (hopefully).
In confusion reigns, a squad in V7 level 2 with the MMG works well to draw fire. If you really want to get crazy, throw the 8-1 in there as well.
Anyway, hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Minaya

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Nate Stapf said:
I noticed in your setup, Minaya, that you had many squads in open ground and brush. That's just asking to get whacked. The trees might be a little dangerous, due to mortar fire, but nothing like the 8-2 shots that you had dealt out to you in the brush.
Yes. I tried to set up out of sight or behind a hindrance. I Thought that mortar fire would be more dangerous that it actually was.

Nate Stapf said:
Another trick is to give the kill stack a less desirable, but dangerous, target in good TEM to shoot at instead. This is a gamble, admittedly, but it keeps the more vulnarable targets from getting blasted and the decoy target may stand to be broken but not killed (hopefully).
In confusion reigns, a squad in V7 level 2 with the MMG works well to draw fire. If you really want to get crazy, throw the 8-1 in there as well.
Interesting idea. Thanks!. Too late for this game, but I'll keep it. It is said in chess that losing games is the way for learning. It seems that it works in ASL as well.

Priest

Reaction score
My main problem in this tournament was with LOS, I had some troubles with it both with Nate and Alan. I would move stacks to a location that I thought was safe just to get them shot to pieces.

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
Actually, if the attacker rolls a 12 the MMG's will break! ;)

Yep, at least one will, but the attack still takes place. Future attacks might be a little gentler, but a -4 shot is not to be laughed at (no matter what your game face says!)

Mark