Operation Overlord - Gavin Take

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
I get a 404 error when I try to access it. The link seems to have a different format to the rest of the AARs - is it pointing in the right place?

keethrax

Reaction score
Reepicheep said:
Chas has written an interesting and detailed AAR for his Round 1 "Gavin Take" encounter with Strix. You can find it on our AAR's page :)
I don't think the "&" in the filename is kosher in a URL (not this link, but the one form the AAR section to the acutal AAR). Not positive though. BUt it would explain the 404's that we're getting.

keethrax

Reaction score
keethrax said:
I don't think the "&" in the filename is kosher in a URL (not this link, but the one form the AAR section to the acutal AAR). Not positive though. BUt it would explain the 404's that we're getting.
Feeding the page to http://validator.w3.org/ seems to verify that this is the problem.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Actually there was an upper-case/lower-case naming error. The actual file had upper case, but I had posted the link with some lower case. I've also removed the "&" just in case that was a problem too.

In any case, the link now works correctly. Sincere apologies! :eek:

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Very nicely done AAR Chas. :) It contained all the elements, riveting story, color pictures, good prevailing over evil, etc., etc.

BobEury

Reaction score
First name
Bob
Country
llUnited States
Victory Conditions

Thanks for the AAR. I'm playing the US side and as it gets down close to the end I had a question about the Victory Conditions. Perhaps I missed something but it looked to me like you ended the game prematurely. The US wins by exiting >= 1 leader and >= 1 squad equivalent at games end. That condition was met in Turn 5. However, couldn't the German side have thrown a monkey wrench into the affair by exiting men. Since the German side moves last and each equivalent he exits increases the American victory requirement, the German side only needed to hold the Americans as they were in Turn 5 and 6, and then jump a HS off to deny the Americans the win. Is this correct?

Bob

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
BobEury said:
... However, couldn't the German side have thrown a monkey wrench into the affair by exiting men. Since the German side moves last and each equivalent he exits increases the American victory requirement, the German side only needed to hold the Americans as they were in Turn 5 and 6, and then jump a HS off to deny the Americans the win. Is this correct?
Bob, that's how I read the VC's. I must admit the turn number escaped my notice when I read through Chas' AAR.

Also, in the article on this scenario in ASL Classic, the advice given to the Americans is... "Remember to leave a covering force behind, since the German player moves last and can therefore exit his troops, modifying the Victory Conditions."

btw, I've emailed Chas and Strix to see if they can agree on what should be done in their case, should our understanding of the VC's be correct.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's no "immediately" in the VCs. They'd have shaded the bottom half of T6 on the turn record chart, too. In our game, I never got a leader off the board: 10-2=KIA, 8-0=broken in Q10, and 10-3=pinned in Q10 on last MPh! It was close. I even rolled all possible resid. attacks against him after pinning to get him to go heroic(when you're about to lose, you get creative)but even if I had exited him, Ron would have had HIS half of the turn to eliminate my pile of broken pieces in Q10 and try to run off board as well.

A guy can concede whenever he wants, so I wasn't going to say anything about the less-than-6-turn games. I think you've got to assume everyone knows what the VCs mean as written.

Alan

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks-

Strix conceded after I exited my guys, and this is what he wrote to me:

"I know about the VC, but I quit.
I dont think it could survive a 20-5 shoot in Q10 =)."

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Gosh. I know this thread is 4 years old, but is this AAR of Gavin Take still available somewhere? The link given no longer works.