Operation Neptune - HBR ON3 Questions

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I received Neptune yesterday and it looks great, thank you!

Quick questions on Historical Battle Rule ON3:
--ON3 says, paraphrasing, that a Boat that enters a "partial Marsh/Mudflat AND River hex" takes an NTC, and if it fails, it's Beached across the Mudflat hexside. (I'm a Boating novice, so my questions might not be applicable.)

Q1: I presume when ON3 talks about being Beached across the "Mudflat" hexside, it means across the "Mudflat/Marsh" hexside (since this rule could conceivably kick in for hexes H6/H7/I8/I9/etc.--which are "partial Marsh AND River hexes").

Q2: Assuming that's so, then what about a Boat in hex H10 that fails its NTC: is it Beached across the Mudflat hexside, across the Marsh hexside, do the Boaters choose, or is this decided by RS? (A similar situation can happen in hexes H4 and H5.)

Q3: May a Boat that gets stuck this way automatically unBeach itself during the APh later that same player turn without having to pass an NTC or anything?

Q4: ON3.2 talks about "any Infantry" attempting to exit such a hex--I assume this is referring to the Boat/Amphibian "Passenger"? If there's an SMC and an MMC in the same Boat, can they use the same exit dr, or do they each roll their own exit dr?

Q5: What happens if, by ON3.2, a Boat Passenger has insufficient MFs during its MPh to exit a Beached Boat due to a high dr: may it try to exit again in the later APh? May it use an Advance vs. Difficult Terrain to do so?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received Neptune yesterday and it looks great, thank you!

Quick questions on Historical Battle Rule ON3:
--ON3 says, paraphrasing, that a Boat that enters a "partial Marsh/Mudflat AND River hex" takes an NTC, and if it fails, it's Beached across the Mudflat hexside. (I'm a Boating novice, so my questions might not be applicable.)

Q1: I presume when ON3 talks about being Beached across the "Mudflat" hexside, it means across the "Mudflat/Marsh" hexside (since this rule could conceivably kick in for hexes H6/H7/I8/I9/etc.--which are "partial Marsh AND River hexes").
Yes. Mudflat/Marsh.

Q2: Assuming that's so, then what about a Boat in hex H10 that fails its NTC: is it Beached across the Mudflat hexside, across the Marsh hexside, do the Boaters choose, or is this decided by RS? (A similar situation can happen in hexes H4 and H5.)
The Marsh/Mudflat beached on if more that one possibility exists is determined by RS. This also means that in a hex like I10, if the boat winds up getting stuck, it is stuck across either the Marsh or Mudflat hexside, the Open Ground hexside is not an option.

Q3: May a Boat that gets stuck this way automatically unBeach itself during the APh later that same player turn without having to pass an NTC or anything?
Yes.

Q4: ON3.2 talks about "any Infantry" attempting to exit such a hex--I assume this is referring to the Boat/Amphibian "Passenger"? If there's an SMC and an MMC in the same Boat, can they use the same exit dr, or do they each roll their own exit dr?
Yes, this is referring to the boat Passengers. Each unit rolls independently. So while the squad may slog its way inland, the leader could wind up stuck up to his waist in mud (as happened to a number of Brits).

Q5: What happens if, by ON3.2, a Boat Passenger has insufficient MFs during its MPh to exit a Beached Boat due to a high dr: may it try to exit again in the later APh? May it use an Advance vs. Difficult Terrain to do so?
Yes, it may exit in the later APh (since it is not marked Pinned or CX).