Operation Marston scenario from General v20,#2

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Asked this on ASL Facebook couple days ago.

Has anyone played this? Thinking of giving it a try with some modification to OB before trying the Primosole Bridge mini-CG from Journal 6.

Robert Fabbro

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hah! 1987... Four of us were living in a large rented house. We were all avid wargamers, and since we had one spare bedroom, we set this monster up in there. If I recall we played it about halfway through before we had to give up the room for a fifth room-mate, but not before writing down all the current board locations, etc. Sadly we never returned to it, and it was probably my last play of SL before converting to the One True Game!

PS - We also had some large smashing parties, so we always had one of us guarding the door to that room, but happily answering questions to any interested, if somewhat perplexed, guests!

Last edited:

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played any monster scenarios like that. But have always wondered if they played like "five [or whatever] little scenarios" in small battles across the area.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Memories!!

Played this way back in the past in SL days and again in mid the 90s with ASL along with some major changes. The map and scenario are very much out of date and full of inaccuracies. It doesn't really represent the battle well at all. I would wager that simply playing Primosole Bridge would be a better use of time.

However,...

Here what's left of my notes from back then.

1 - change Italian 347s to 346 with ELR 2
2 - get ride of the SS. The unit was SS in name only and was actually an ad hoc unit attached to the corps HQ and equipped with outdated weapons. We used 4 x 548 and 6 x 447s with ELR 3, 9-1, 8-0, 7-0, 3 LMG, 1 MMG (dm), Radio (70+ OBA Normal Ammo), 1 SPW 250/sMG, 4 x Opel 67. ELR of 3.
3 - We changed the 88LL ATGs to 50L AT towed by SdKfz 11. Change the 6 x Pz IIIE to 2 x Stug IIIG and change the StuG IIIF to StuG IIIG, only a single 9-1 AL is used.
4 - German Fallsch'r (ELR 4). Change 8-3-8s FJ to 548s with 1 FT, 3 DC. Delete one radio, the other radio cannot be used until Stage II, 80+ OBA Scarce ammo). Change SMCs, to 9-2, 2 x 9-1, 2 x 8-1, 2x 8-0.
5 - duplicate maps could be changed out for newer 'like' maps.
6 - The Brit paras had 57L AT guns,... the 2 pdrs were no longer in use by the Sicilian campaign. Change para SMCs to 10-2, 2 x 9-1, 8-1 2 x 8-0 The radio is for 80+ OBA Normal Ammo (Stage II and later). Change 3 x ATR to 3 x PIAT.
7 - 8th DLI (ELR 4). Change SMC to 9-2, 9-1, 8-1, 3 x 8-0, 2 x 7-0. Add 3 51* Mortar, 3 ATR and 3 PIAT. Change 3" mortars to 81* (16 FP). Change 3 x Bren I carriers to 1 x Carrier B, 2 x Carrier C. Change 3 x Bren III to 1 x Carrier 3 in (81* - 16 FP) and 2 Carrier MMG A. Change trucks to 6 x 3 ton Lorry. Change Boats to 12 x 3 Boat Small Rafts. Radios have 80+ OBA
8 - Change the 13 Sherman tanks to 8 x Sherman II and 4 x Sherman III. Add 1 x 8-1 AL.
9 - Radios can be used as per the SSR but also "reload" OBA after each stage unless previously disabled.
10 - Between stages Fanatic squads return to normal and another squad may be BH (but not to Fanatic). Remove heroes and BH another squad. Role on the KGP Tables for SMC BH (I suppose using SASL Campaign tables would work as well).

We used Battlefield Integrity due to the size of the battle. All SAN's were 2.

There's some more but I can't make out the chicken scratch and washed out ink.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Memories!!

Played this way back in the past in SL days and again in mid the 90s with ASL along with some major changes. The map and scenario are very much out of date and full of inaccuracies. It doesn't really represent the battle well at all. I would wager that simply playing Primosole Bridge would be a better use of time.

However,...

Here what's left of my notes from back then.

1 - change Italian 347s to 346 with ELR 2
2 - get ride of the SS. The unit was SS in name only and was actually an ad hoc unit attached to the corps HQ and equipped with outdated weapons. We used 4 x 548 and 6 x 447s with ELR 3, 9-1, 8-0, 7-0, 3 LMG, 1 MMG (dm), Radio (70+ OBA Normal Ammo), 1 SPW 250/sMG, 4 x Opel 67. ELR of 3.
3 - We changed the 88LL ATGs to 50L AT towed by SdKfz 11. Change the 6 x Pz IIIE to 2 x Stug IIIG and change the StuG IIIF to StuG IIIG, only a single 9-1 AL is used.
4 - German Fallsch'r (ELR 4). Change 8-3-8s FJ to 548s with 1 FT, 3 DC. Delete one radio, the other radio cannot be used until Stage II, 80+ OBA Scarce ammo). Change SMCs, to 9-2, 2 x 9-1, 2 x 8-1, 2x 8-0.
5 - duplicate maps could be changed out for newer 'like' maps.
6 - The Brit paras had 57L AT guns,... the 2 pdrs were not issued for this operation. Change para SMCs to 10-2, 2 x 9-1, 8-1 2 x 8-0 The radio is for 80+ OBA Normal Ammo (Stage II and later). Change 3 x ATR to 3 x PIAT.
7 - 8th DLI (ELR 4). Change SMC to 9-2, 9-1, 8-1, 3 x 8-0, 2 x 7-0. Add 3 51* Mortar, 3 ATR and 3 PIAT. Change 3" mortars to 81* (16 FP). Change 3 x Bren I carriers to 1 x Carrier B, 2 x Carrier C. Change 3 x Bren III to 1 x Carrier 3 in (81* - 16 FP) and 2 Carrier MMG A. Change trucks to 6 x 3 ton Lorry. Change Boats to 12 x 3 Boat Small Rafts. Radios have 80+ OBA
8 - Change the 13 Sherman tanks to 8 x Sherman I and 4 x Sherman III. Add 1 x 8-1 AL.
9 - Radios can be used as per the SSR but also "reload" OBA after each stage unless previously disabled.
10 - Between stages Fanatic squads return to normal and another squad may be BH (but not to Fanatic). Remove heroes and BH another squad. Role on the KGP Tables for SMC BH (I suppose using SASL Campaign tables would work as well).

We used Battlefield Integrity due to the size of the battle. All SAN's were 2.

There's some more but I can make out the chicken scratch and washed out ink.
Well, at least you left the scenario title unchanged... 🤣

von Marwitz

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played it as ASL, the British drop was a catastrophe, quit before the ground reinforcements arrived.

Kind of like a playmate centerfold chick - better to look at than to meet in person.