Operation Hubertus - CG II Red Barricades

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That burning house counter in the photo is from the original Squad Leader is it not Melvin?

Many thanks for the AAR - looks good. How many times have you played RB? Have you played the other campaign games as much?

Hope things are good in Sweden,

Joe

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The burning building counters are from the 2nd edition of YANKS, you get about 10-12 of them, it should have been a little more (16-18) to be sufficient, perhaps more will be printed in Red Factories.

Played Red Barricades 90+ times vs 13 different opponents.

All the other CG combined have been played almost 60 times (half of them is that fast tracked CG Pegasus Bridge).

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The burning building counters are from the 2nd edition of YANKS, you get about 10-12 of them, it should have been a little more (16-18) to be sufficient, perhaps more will be printed in Red Factories.

Played Red Barricades 90+ times vs 13 different opponents.

All the other CG combined have been played almost 60 times (half of them is that fast tracked CG Pegasus Bridge).
That is going some Melvin...........I have not played one, I could never find an opponent :rolleyes:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Day Two report (12/11) of this 5 day-CG, see link in the first post of this thread.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That is going some Melvin...........I have not played one, I could never find an opponent :rolleyes:
If you are interested in doing a CG over PBEM PM me. Occasional live sessions possible at times. Done 10 CGs on PBEM (4*FB, 2*RB, 2*Edsons Ridge 1*Achtung Panzer 1*PT of Königsberg). Daily logs or close to it.

/S

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you are interested in doing a CG over PBEM PM me. Occasional live sessions possible at times. Done 10 CGs on PBEM (4*FB, 2*RB, 2*Edsons Ridge 1*Achtung Panzer 1*PT of Königsberg). Daily logs or close to it.

/S
A kind offer - thank you. In addition to never having played a campaign I have never done PBEM or VASL...............I am low tech :)

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Day 3 (13/11) and day 4 (14/11) reports are completed only one last day to play before a victory can be declared of this 5 day-CG, see link in the first post of this thread.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The CG is completed, the last Day 5 (15/11) report can be found in the link above.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks for the AAR Melvin - I enjoyed reading it. You must really be looking forward to the new Red Factories...........

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This CG has the reputation for being unbalanced. What's the opinion from Stavka? And do the Leaflet Rules help offset any balance issues? As the smaller of the RB CGs, this one is tempting

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
This CG has the reputation for being unbalanced. What's the opinion from Stavka? And do the Leaflet Rules help offset any balance issues? As the smaller of the RB CGs, this one is tempting
Have played CG II, three times now and the last time several changes have transformed the CG into a balaced struggle and even faster to play.

The CG is between 30-34 Game Turns and a much better feel than the scenario Last Bid that also try to simulate the same 5 day assault operation.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Playing without LHR, the Russian best purchase will be 8-9 Coys (with LHR, max 5 different Coys are allowed) and the German will purchase about 6 Coys (with LHR, max 3 different Coys are allowed).

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Perimeters for Operation Hubertus CG II in the North Red Barricades and the South Red October.

Last edited:

Mike-the-fish

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Can I ask Your thoughts about the new Red October CG II Oktyabr's Hubertus initial scenario OB?

Specifically:
Russian receives 3 infantry coys, 1 HW Pltn plus fortifications & guns. In addition 12CPP.
German receives 7 infantry coys plus fortifications & armor & guns. In addition 18CPP.
So the Germans have got the russian infantry outnumbered by 2:1 (roughly).
I wonder if the new CG II is balanced...

Comparing with the old Red Barricades CG2 Operation Hubertus, I am surprised to find that new the new CG victory conditions are actually a little easier (!) to achieve for the germans, requiring control of "all but any ten stone locations" vs the old "all but any five". Studying the map and initial scenario perimeter didn't provide any hints to me with regards to why the change.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Comparing with the old Red Barricades CG2 Operation Hubertus, I am surprised to find that new the new CG victory conditions are actually a little easier (!) to achieve for the germans, requiring control of "all but any ten stone locations" vs the old "all but any five". Studying the map and initial scenario perimeter didn't provide any hints to me with regards to why the change.
There isn't any change - I think you might be comparing RB CG II (11.52 RB Campaign Game II: OPERATION HUBERTUS) to the new RO CG II (11.56 RO Campaign Game II: OKTYABR’S HUBERTUS).

Mike-the-fish

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
There isn't any change - I think you might be comparing RB CG II (11.52 RB Campaign Game II: OPERATION HUBERTUS) to the new RO CG II (11.56 RO Campaign Game II: OKTYABR’S HUBERTUS).
Yes, I am indeed comparing the old RB CG II with the new RO CG II. My point is: If the old was balanced with a roughly 1:1 ratio in initial sxenario, can the new be balanced with germans at 2:1 initial ratio??

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes, I am indeed comparing the old RB CG II with the new RO CG II. My point is: If the old was balanced with a roughly 1:1 ratio in initial sxenario, can the new be balanced with germans at 2:1 initial ratio??
They are completely different scenarios played on different maps representing different fights. The are not "new" and "old" versions of the same battle. They are incomparable.

Note that in Red Factories there is a RB CG II and a RO CG II.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Perhaps it needs to be explicitly written: the RB CGs are played on the RB map group, and the RO CGs are played on the RO map group. And never the twain shall meet [EXC: if playing RF CG-1].

JR

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What jrv wrote above - two completely different CG.