Operation Herring? Allied Italian paratroopers and partisans versus Germans in March '45?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick search on the scenario archive didn't turn up anything.

Could be a cool scenario if a designer wanted to tackle it.
Gordon, that designer should be you my man. You "discovered" it. If you wait for someone else to do it, you may wait a while. Bounce your thoughts off us here, but go for it. Sounds very interesting.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick search on the scenario archive didn't turn up anything.

Could be a cool scenario if a designer wanted to tackle it.
If I can get more details on English on this I would look into this. However, I prefer book based info over Wiki. Any additional info would help me get me started.

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
it's not doable, at least in ASL terms. Main firefights involved the equivalente of 4-6 half squads.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they can reasonably do an all armor scenario with all the drawbacks that has in ASL, I'm fairly certain one could design a workable scenario with small infantry forces. As Gordon has pointed out, there's quite a few very small scenarios out there already.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
it's not doable, at least in ASL terms. Main firefights involved the equivalente of 4-6 half squads.
Reading some of the accounts that Luis provided, I'd tend to agree, though I would never say never.

The "M" Patrol, consisting of ten men, arrived at the target at 11.10 pm on April 20, 1945. The plane was the target of enemy fire, but all the paratroopers reached the ground unharmed, except for the commander, who was entangled on a tree for some time. Three men began the search for the officer: after finding him he was joined by a paratrooper and the two joined a group of Partisans with whom they attacked a house occupied by an enemy squad. The other two Paratroops crossed the Reno river to avoid being trapped, but died in combat surrounded by an enemy group.
My impression is that these patrols were mostly cleaning up small pockets of rear area troops or remnants of fighting units. By this time the Allies had started their final offensive, and the Germans were driven from the Apennines into the Po Valley. There were no positions established south of the river, and of course the orders coming from high command were to prevent the Allies from crossing to the north. The Germans were by now mostly on foot, under constant air attack, and forced to retreat through swarms of partisans. Entire divisions began to melt away, many finally seeing the writing on the wall.