Operation: Colossus - a TacOps Narrative PBEM Campaign

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
this is more of a request for interest at the moment, to see if it's worth investigating further :)

this is sort of an expansion upon the Kiribati based roleplay that never got off the ground, but with much more emphasis on actual combat - where the players are the officers in charge of the battlefield, not the politicians that the Kiribati ex was attempting to simulate.

anyways, read on...

Situation - Zimbabwe, 2008

President Robert Mugabe has been in power for as long as anyone can remember. He has frequently flouted human rights and Commonwealth Head of Government (CHOGM) conventions, and even pulled out of the Commonwealth. In November 2004, he changed the law such that foreign aid organisations that tried to educate the Zimbabwe people would be subject to arrest and even execution. He ruels with an iron grip, and the country slides deeper in to poverty as more and more formerly white-owneed property is seized and given to Mugabe supporters.

In July 2008, a CARE Australia missionary team conducting missionary work in the country's south is arrested on trumped up charges of inciting sedition - in a widely boradcast sham trial, Mugabe has the 3 officials imprisoned; despite widespread uproar across the international community.

November 2008, a French news crew stumble across a Pro-Mugabe militia in the process of massacring a group of Australian, British and Dutch tourists; display of the footage on ly causes Mugabe to ban foreign press from the country.

The final straw in the Zimbabwe situation is the execution of a group of British missionaries, by Zimbabwe army officers. Morgan Tsiangurai, the erstwhile opposition leader appeals for international help in removing Mugabe from power - for not the first time , Tsiangurai is charged with treason, but this time he is eecuted immediately.

Following his execution, Mugabe instigates a crackdown on all pro-Tsiangurai groups, encroaching into the realm of ethinic cleansing.

At the CHOGM meeting in Brunei, the UK Prime Minister proposes further embargo and sanctions against Zimbabwe. John Howard, Prime Minister of Australia goes further and states that military solution is required.

Thus is born the seed for Operation: Colossus - the removal of Mugabe and the installment of a democratic regime in the African country.

-end-

OPERATION: COLOSSUS ORDER OF BATTLE

TF MAGELLAN(UK)

- 1 Warrior equipped Infantry Battalion
- 16 Air Assault Bde forces
- Royal artillery battery

TF BUNYIP(Aust.)

- 2 Cav Regt.
- 6RAR(+) with 25/79RAR attachments
- 5/8 Battery
- ARH troop

TF GRIZZLY(Canada)

- PPCLI Battalion
- JTF2 elements
- support

-end-

okay, the ideal situation would be to have 3 Commonwealth players (UK, Oz, Ca) vs 3 Mugabe Players. This may sound rather unblanced as force quality and such are so different, but there is plenty of scope for additions, and I have plenty of ideas for inclusions to spice things up (but I won't mention here as it will spoil the surprise :D )

As each scn is fought out, I'll write a newspaper-esque article to post here so that the forum as a whole can follow the fight, as we do the fighting in iraq at the moment - the Replays will be made available, so that everyone can criticise a commands decision, and offer tips on what should have happened.

this isn't a typical OPFOR vs BLUFOR fight - there will be user defined goals and objectives, and I'll try and make it so that the outcome of one fight has an effect on the next in the series.

so, if this sounds like something people would like to have a go at, please speak up. I chose this setting as I know it pretty well, and the fact it's non-European, a more failed state typoe scenario with the newer additions to the TacOps DB unit-wise. It is hopefully also not too far fetched.

This more to spark debate, provide some different fights, and get people using some of the newer gear.

cheers,

Jim

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am interested, but involved in too many games right now. If this wasn't started until the new year, then I would love to join in.

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
tinjaw said:
I am interested, but involved in too many games right now. If this wasn't started until the new year, then I would love to join in.
What he said...

Oh yeah, due to the PPCLI having to hitch hike to Zimbabwe, please start the war without them...

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hub said:
What he said...

Oh yeah, due to the PPCLI having to hitch hike to Zimbabwe, please start the war without them...
heh, we're assuming someone will give them a lift ;)

we're assuming a lot actually :D

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It does sound interesting. No promises yet though. I don't event have time for a PBEM at the moment.