Open Source SPWAW

TheZel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know if its possible to get a copy of the source code for SPWAW? I know Matrix is looking into other games now, but i think SPWAW engine can be incorperated into a great open source version, using web services to better manage scenarios/campaigns.

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
I wonder if an SPMBT-like game could be made with the SPWAW egine. I think it is likely to be possible, as it was designed for modern warfare (SPIII).

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Artur said:
I wonder if an SPMBT-like game could be made with the SPWAW engine.
I am sure it could be. I think the biggest part of the work would center around the OOB's but I am just guessing since I hve no programming experience whatsoever :eek:

Oh, if only SPMBT would work for me! I have yet to be able to get it or SPWW2 running on my XP machine. Luckily I did keep my older W98 PC but I would have to take it back from my daughter :devious: . Maybe when I get DSL and establish my network I can use get back into it.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just wandering about at the moment eh

Two comments

SSI (whoever the heck owns the name currently) owns the source code for Steel Panthers (and I think that includes every single permutation Matrix Games or SP Cammo sources).

This explains why Matrix Games and SP Cammo have to date never had any chance of selling it in any way. Because they can't.

Oh and you can play both SPMBT and SPWW2 in XP and even SP3.

It is all in how you master the process. Head over to SP Cammo to find out how.

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo-SPinXP.htm

I won't promise that will be easy to understand, but the answer is in there. I found it eventually, and if this psuedo blonde could understand it, you should be too :)

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LestheSarge9-1 said:
Oh and you can play both SPMBT and SPWW2 in XP and even SP3.
Actually I have gotten them both to kind of work but cannot get around the slow mouse issue (tried all the fixes, just no luck so far) :eek:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had that mouse trouble too, the fix is buried rather well.

You have to find the game's system ini file (which won't advertise itself in any convenient fashion either).

Then you need to adjust the setting number that represents the mouse response to scrolling. The number if raised to say 4 or 6, greatly alters that habit of zipping around the screen way to fast.

I am still working on the slow mud mouse issue inside the screen though (not involved with scrolling).
But I have not yet tried all the mentioned mouse fixes so I have not given up fully.

I do agree though, repeatedly moving the mouse through what seems mud effectively kills the thrill in a game almost entirely mouse control oriented.

I basically doesn't matter much how great a game might be, if playing it is a major burden on the control function.
Just to easy to say phooey and go play another game that operates correctly.

Marauder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Double Deuce said:
I am sure it could be. I think the biggest part of the work would center around the OOB's but I am just guessing since I hve no programming experience whatsoever :eek:

Oh, if only SPMBT would work for me! I have yet to be able to get it or SPWW2 running on my XP machine. Luckily I did keep my older W98 PC but I would have to take it back from my daughter :devious: . Maybe when I get DSL and establish my network I can use get back into it.
Deuce,
SPMBT works fine on my home machine with XP pro. Never a single problem. Now the original SP seriues will not run on it. That is not due to XP, but something with the vid card.
It pissed me off to no end, so I loaded SP+ camp disks 1 and 2 on my 400mhz w/ Win 98. What do you know, but it didnt run. It ran fine before I upgraded the vid card to a Voodoo 3000. I took the V3000 out and wala, plays great.

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, so far the only real culprit I have ever encountered where Steel Panthers is concerned is changing hardware.

I have usually found that the software is not the problem but rather it has often been the fault of something hardware related.

Sometimes the upgrade comes at a price.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LestheSarge9-1 said:
I have usually found that the software is not the problem but rather it has often been the fault of something hardware related.
Agreed, and with all the hardware configurations/components out there, some may never get it to work correctly.

Bernie

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Double Deuce said:

No, as a programmer who has been in the gaming business for almost 25 years now, trust me when I say the OOB's are the easy part! :D

To take the SP3 game engine, and revamp it to current generation computer hardware alone would be a major undertaking, to address all the limitations of the engine, vis-a-vis depicting modern military hardware, would entail almost a total rewrite of the code.

Yes, there are some tweaks that could be made that would help, without doing a complete rewrite, but they wouldn't address all the limitations. One example would be in just the variables used in the engine. Many of them "max out" at 255 (being 8 bit) such as armor values, etc. They'd have to be changed to 16 bit, or, preferably, 64 bit. There are other things as well... How to model reactive armor? Chemical weapons? Modern C&C?

And it's not just present day that's the problem... What we have today (military hardware-wise) represents a steady development over decades. That too would have to be coded in, with different variables and formulas for different time periods.

No, the OOB's would be difficult, but recoding the engine would be a programmers nightmare. (IMHO)

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Bernie noticing you are a recent arrival, welcome to the site (assuming you have not been a reading type for a time).

The forum will be well off with you wandering around on it.

Don has built himself a very first class forum here eh.

Bernie

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LestheSarge9-1 said:
Hey Bernie noticing you are a recent arrival, welcome to the site (assuming you have not been a reading type for a time).

The forum will be well off with you wandering around on it.

Don has built himself a very first class forum here eh.
Greetings Les :)

Double Deuce was kind enough to stop by and offer his support at my new site SP:WaW Depot so I felt the least I could do was drop in here and introduce myself.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don also has a very happening very rockin cool ASL forum as well.

Plus TOAW and Talonsoft games in general are well covered here as well.