"Open ground" while broken

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A unit is in an open ground hex, but the only enemy units that can draw an LOS to it must do so through a wall/hedge hexside. Is the broken unit considered in an "open ground hex" per the first sentence of A10.5?

If the answer is yes, would the fact that all of the enemy units were broken make any difference?

So in the above situation, must the broken German unit in the open ground hex Z19 rout in the German RtPh? Unbroken Russian units in BB18 and BB19 are "firing" thru the hedge, but the German is in open ground to broken Russian units in Z17 and X19 and BB18 level one.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The enemy units must be able to apply the -1 FFMO DRM during a "hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity". The units seeing through a hedg can' do that, and I'd say neither can the broken units.

A10.531:
"For purposes of rout determination, Dash, concealment gain/loss, and Interdiction, an Open Ground hex is any hex in which the particular enemy unit(s) could apply, during a hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity ..."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A10.531 with J11 errata, "For the purposes of rout determination, Dash, concealment gain/loss,, and Interdiction, an Open Ground hex is any hex in which the particular enemy unit(s) could apply, during a hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity (regardless of what attacks it actually made in previous phases), the -1 FFMO DRM."

The unit in Z19 is in Open Ground relative to, for example, Z17 & Z21 but not relative to, for example, X19 & BB19. A broken unit ?must? rout if it is in Open Ground in the Normal Range and LOS of a Known, non-Melee, enemy unit. Z21 is a friendly unit, and Z17 has no Normal Range.

JR

Last edited:

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks guys!

I wondered why broken units were not mentioned in the first bit of A10.5, and I realize now that it is because they have no normal range! And I did forget that units on upper levels don't automatically disregard walls/hedges, per B9.33...