OP Stuart in "Roadblock at Mithwephok"

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I'm up to the third (and last) scenario of the mini-CG from China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater - a great scenario pack, btw! With luck, Jim Burris is lurking nearby, but I'd be happy if some others have experience with OP AFVs or this CG...

The Commonwealth have chosen the OBA support group which includes an OP Stuart I(a). Since I have never used an OP AFV before, this requires some assumptions:

1. The Stuart is not listed as one of Britains' "standard" OP vehicles. But I assume that the extra +1 accuracy drm will apply when BU.

2. I am also not sure whether to keep the Stuart's armaments as per the counter or whether it loses it's regular MA as does a Sherman, Cromwell, or RAMs. If it is treated like the others, it gets no 37LL, but will still have all 3 MGs. The CMG would become the MA with a 1 ROF (but that's a lot of assumptions!).

3. Finally (and this is a general question regarding all OP AFVs), how are the vehicle's other armaments and ability to move affected while the Radio is in use (or when an AR/SR/FFE is in play from its battery)? The rules (H1.46) are written as if the Observer is just a passenger on board, and the AFV is otherwise free to move/fire so long as any necessary LOS to its AR/SR/FFE isn't affected (as would be required of a standard OBA observer). A Q&A, OTOH, states that an OP AFV cannot make or maintain Radio Contact or conduct other OBA actions while in Motion.

I'll send the question to JagerSoft if needed. Thanks!

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I today received an answer to my questions from the CG's designer, Jim Burris. I'm still not certain if his answer to #3 is what the ASLRB intends, but I am just glad to have a referee in this matter (since the ASLRB info is so sparse). Here's how he responded (obviously, #s 1 and 2 are his call to make):

1. Yes it receives a +1 drm to its accuracy roll if BU.
  2. The Stuart is fully armed, 37LL MA and all MGs.
  3. Treat the observer as a passenger and the AFV is otherwise free to move/fire so long as any necessary LOS to its AR/SR/FFE isn't affected (as would be required of a standard OBA observer). I would say that the OP observer would be able to do all of his functions separate of the tank's other abilities and not be restricted from making/maintaining radio contact in a moving AFV.
Q&As exist to muddle this a bit:

C1.6 May an Observer use a radio during the PFPh and then during the MPh be moved by the vehicle he occupies? May this be done if he is Inherent in an OP tank?​

A. No to both. [Gen27.1; An91; An95w; An96; AP1; Mw]​
-------​
H1.461 Can an OP Tank (e.g., a U.S. OP Sherman) attempt radio contact (C1.2) and other OBA actions while in motion (C1.6)? While it is stunned/ shocked? If it is Recalled?​

A. Not during PFPh. No. No. [Compil4]​

[P.S. of course, in my own game none of this mattered. A Japanese Chi Ha immobilized, then KO-ed, the OP Stuart before the first AR went down.]

Last edited: