Op Nemesis

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see this is in the offing.

http://opnm.phpbb3now.com/

The premise looks good as well, though he may be being a bit ambitious looking for up to 30 dedicated SF players to complete a battle every 2 weeks.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The more people, the more pieces of the machine that can fail. You can only do this in small groups of diehard wargamers that are already formed around a club or gaming website. But I wish for them to prove me wrong.

Cheers!

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've yet to be involved in a meta-campaign that succeeded. Most never get out of the conceptual stage. The only exception might be the Onion Wars saga which by all accounts was a success but I left that one early on - but even then, I understand it was retooled after the first round.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
http://www.onionwars.net/phpbb/index.php

So what is the story of the Onion Wars? It looks like there were at least five iterations. I had a lot of fun with the original iteration but I don't know if any of the four or five ever actually went through to completion? Can anyone shed some light on the history behind this?

I know CMMC was successful in the first one or two iterations as well, but I wasn't involved with that.

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is the ultimate form of war game playing. But as you've all said, it's a long, long road to the finish line.

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Onion Wars IV is on turn 24 with 25 soon to start.

Each turn corresponds to a month of game time, with the tech date advancing 2 months each turn.

The central format has remained unchanged throughout this iteration, but the rules have been tweaked, mostly to suit the tastes and desires in terms of workload of the reigning GMs.

Work is tentatively afoot on Onion Wars V.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Onion Wars IV is on turn 24 with 25 soon to start.

Each turn corresponds to a month of game time, with the tech date advancing 2 months each turn.

The central format has remained unchanged throughout this iteration, but the rules have been tweaked, mostly to suit the tastes and desires in terms of workload of the reigning GMs.

Work is tentatively afoot on Onion Wars V.
Did any of the previous OW campaigns play out to a conclusion?

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I'm not sure because I only joined on turn 6 or 7 of this one, but I don't think so.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Having pondered this one a bit more I think it is too ambitious in its timeframe for starters.

To finish this in 2 weeks, based on a small 40 minute game, would take 3 mails per player per day. I just think thats asking a lot of guys who are primarily using the game as a hobby.

Stretch the games out to 1-2 months and lower the amount of participants to 10-15 per side and I think he has a change of succeeeding.