Online version of VASL Information Table tool (no html knowledge needed!)

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
https://asl-players.net/vasl-tables/

Time to open this up for some testing. Kai Stonex and I have been working on an online version of my VASL Information Table (see vertical example below) where you need no html or CSS knowledge to build. Just fill in the form with your scenario info, copy the html, and paste it into a VASL label. That's it. All the required images (nationality logos mostly) reside on my server and are pulled from there. VASL info counters, phase wheel, etc still need to be placed in the appropriate places as shown below.

We're still tweaking things (font option isn't really working yet and we may just nix it due to complications), but I think we're mostly done. Take it for a drive if you want to add some useful info to your VASL games ...

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That does look nice!

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks and works great!
(note on PF: balance given)
Thanks17063

[edit] It would be really cool to specify re-inforcement entry turns and show up the turn track using the nationality image

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks and works great!
(note on PF: balance given)

[edit] It would be really cool to specify re-inforcement entry turns and show up the turn track using the nationality image
Good suggestion on reinforcements.

I don't think we can do anything with PF, because the amount of html to generate the table is quite large. If we include PF balance in the html, making changes to the PF balance during the game would be a massive pain. I think it's best if players track it on the side like you're doing in an unused cell..or any cell. Players are free to used any of the tracking cells to track anything they want. The ones included are just the most common environmental stuff.

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good suggestion on reinforcements.

I don't think we can do anything with PF, because the amount of html to generate the table is quite large. If we include PF balance in the html, making changes to the PF balance during the game would be a massive pain. I think it's best if players track it on the side like you're doing in an unused cell..or any cell. Players are free to used any of the tracking cells to track anything they want. The ones included are just the most common environmental stuff.
I'll be hopeful on the reinforcements.
Wasn't intimating anything on PFs. I was setting up a scenario for real, and needed the PF counter.
Again, the site was easy to use, and produces a real VASL value add, in my view.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The markers and phase wheels are customizable in that you select country specific markers for the sides in play. They are of the same footprint and general appearance as the current components. Gordon Molek’s and Walter Parker’s contributions were crucial to this addition. This has been a long requested addition and without them, it wouldn’t have happened. The updated graphics will look great with what you’ve done here. Doug will release the next VASL beta when VASSAL 3.5.4 is released sometime this month.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I'm using this for every game now. It looks and works great combined with Pacman Ghost's VASL Templates. The only change I would make is to repurpose the Victory Conditions box because (1) the text in this box can cause the bottom row of turn track boxes to distort and (b) the VASL Template VC's look better anyway. One approach might be to make it a setup instructions box instead, as the table doesn't include this information, which I'd like to see added.

At the moment I'm just editing the HTML like this:

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I edited the HTML code from the VASL Information Table tool to make my own table. I found the three turn width/height of the table to be too small for my taste, plus I added a track for the Sniper activation number and some extra boxes in Environmental Information for tracking dust, NVR, or other things.

Still a great idea and tool for those who don't want to edit the html.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLinRealTime are you OK with some theft of your HTML? I've developed my own layouts but would like to use some of your ideas, including the cool font. I can see you've put a lot of work into this and don't want to lift it without permission.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm using this for every game now. It looks and works great combined with Pacman Ghost's VASL Templates. The only change I would make is to repurpose the Victory Conditions box because (1) the text in this box can cause the bottom row of turn track boxes to distort and (b) the VASL Template VC's look better anyway. One approach might be to make it a setup instructions box instead, as the table doesn't include this information, which I'd like to see added.

At the moment I'm just editing the HTML like this:
View attachment 17559
Have pity on Mac users who cannot easily use the Pacman Ghost VASL Templates program. Besides, referring to the VC during a game is more common than referring to the setup instructions.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Have pity on Mac users who cannot easily use the Pacman Ghost VASL Templates program. Besides, referring to the VC during a game is more common than referring to the setup instructions.
Mac users always have my deepest sympathy. ;)

I wasn't actually arguing for the removal of the VCs box and its replacement with startup info; just the adding of startup info somewhere. It's just handy for me to use the VCs box.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All, the VASL Information Table Generator has had some updates since I last posted.

I just finished adding the ability to mark turns as low visibility or night turns. https://asl-players.net/vasl-tables/

One approach might be to make it a setup instructions box instead, as the table doesn't include this information, which I'd like to see added.
I don't think the table really needs setup information. The scenario setup sheet has all that. This table is meant to track gameplay information after the game is set up and ready to play, not aid in setting up the scenario.

Last edited: