Online Tornament.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who wants to do an online tournament. If we do it right we can even have spectators. Either using Vassal on having each player with a board and webcam set-up. We could do a few large single elimation rounds if we get a bunch of people. I think using google meet or zoom we could make this happen.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Great idea!

will you be making sure AREA ratings will apply to the results? Doug Rimmer has nearly caught everything up and we're starting to take data for new tournaments. I just help him get the data, he's the mastermind behind all of that.

I'd recommend VASL because the board setup camera thing is hard to do for both parties. And for chat I usually just use Skype, or, alternatively, Discord.

Spectators may not be a good idea, because I've been in situations where the spectators have been coaching my opponent on the other end, slowing down the game. I'm not a big fan of spectators chumming around in the game making comments or getting on the phone with the opponent.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Why waste your time with ZOOM or SKYPE?
Discord is far superior to either of those media...
Spectators can be MUTED on Discord, and you can always cheat through other means quite easily.
If they are going to cheat, there is the DICE BOT...

Theoretically we are grown men. Cheaters need someone to piss in their beer....but then again...victory is bittersweet

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Why waste your time with ZOOM or SKYPE?
Discord is far superior to either of those media...
Spectators can be MUTED on Discord, and you can always cheat through other means quite easily.
The best point-to-multi-point option is Teamspeak. You can install your own server if you have the bandwidth and horse power to serve it up. You can also take a monthly on a Teamspeak server for modest cost. Skype is point-to-point. The more users you add, the more the client (the part on your PC) has to push data to the various end points and try to keep it all in Sync. Skype recognized this and created Skype for business to get to the point to multi-point. Discord falls somewhere in the middle of these two. It has point-to-point as Skype for person to person calls, and it has point-to-multi-point in channels. Still fairly good, but in my experience, Discord breaks down sooner doing point-to-multi-point than does Teamspeak. Still quite good given what you pay for it, but TS is better IMO. I don't have much experience with Zoom. JMO. YMMV. -- jim