but can't for the life of me remember the name. Can anyone
be of help?
TIA

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently you are not the only one who has irrational "feelings" about the dice bot.

Its even possible that some of the other on-line dice rollers use the same functions that VASL uses...

My offer of a free dice tower to anyone who can tell me which of the five sets of 100 rolls are generated by hand and which were rolled by the dice bot stands. If you can't identify the "bogus" rolls it call into serious question the validity of your claims about the dice bot.

But use whatever you want to roll dice.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was thinking that an online roller might be appropriate for the 'secret' rolls.

Of course I trust the VASL roller.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Bryan Holtby said:
Despite your 'bait' Sam, Im not going to bite.
Why not?

It seems a valid, if not particularly mathematically rigorous, test.

I've sworn at and questioned the dicebot my share of times. Then I remember that I have done the same to my dice....

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ditto.Don't know what all the fuss is about,The dice bot is just as random as normal dice IMHO.And when you really get down to it,who cares?

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sigh.......We have gone through this over and over on the ASLML and here. There is another thread discussing it and if you want more info read it. Its on page 2 of the general forums and the discussion was 5 pages long. Have fun.

Unless you are a computer programer you will not convince me that there is nothing wrong with the bot, even then I will have a tough time with it.....seen enough (lots of it).....heard enough (too much).....talked about it enough (way too much).

Suffice to say that I made a tower and spent $40 CAN on a web cam to mount on the tower and now use REAL dice. I must admit that they have done some bizarre things too, back to back boxcars, back to back snakes. But at least I dont get the errie feeling that once I roll snakeyes, boxcars isn't far behind.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might also want to look at the article on warfareht.com. See http://www.warfarehq.com/articles/asl/computer_generated_numbers.shtml

By Robert Delwood on random number generators...

Here's a quote from the article...

Such statements are purely speculative and always subjective. In short, the current state of computer technology assures a nearly perfect random number distribution, at least in the confines of the ASL world. If there is a biased in the numbers, it would take a set of billions or trillions of instances and surprisingly advanced mathematics to show it.
What we have is a set of 100 DRs or less and a "feeling" that something is wrong.

JMO.

Sam

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Bryan Holtby said:
Sigh.......We have gone through this over and over on the ASLML and here. There is another thread discussing it and if you want more info read it. Its on page 2 of the general forums and the discussion was 5 pages long. Have fun.

Unless you are a computer programer you will not convince me that there is nothing wrong with the bot, even then I will have a tough time with it.....seen enough (lots of it).....heard enough (too much).....talked about it enough (way too much).

Suffice to say that I made a tower and spent $40 CAN on a web cam to mount on the tower and now use REAL dice. I must admit that they have done some bizarre things too, back to back boxcars, back to back snakes. But at least I dont get the errie feeling that once I roll snakeyes, boxcars isn't far behind.
Actually, I am a programmer. I also have pretty extensive experience in statistics applied to decision making in a manufacturing environment.

At first blush, I held the same opinion that you are espousing. After seeing just how many and how often seemingly "improbable" things happen, any lack of randomness in the dicebot would take way more rolls than would occur in a large RB scenario to have any statistical confidence that it is not random.

Like I said, I've seen physical dice do things just as improbable as anything I have seen or heard about the dicebot.

Really guys, it's just a friggin' game.

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I was reading it while it was going on,and I still think the dicebot is fine.

Suffice to say that I made a tower and spent $40 CAN on a web cam to mount on the tower and now use REAL dice.
Hope you think it's money well spent.And are you using the dice where the '1' hole is deeper than the '6' holes on the opposite side as not to inbalance the dice and cause 'slewed' results?

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually wasn't trying to stir up trouble or insinuate that the VASL
dicebot is skewed. Planning on playing tonight and with the server
being a bit jumpy over the holidays, needed a way to do the DRs
while playing via TeamSpeak.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I appologize for the nasty tone of my message...

Complaints about the VASL dice bot bug me for two reasons.

1. It discourages play. I've heard new players saying they won't use VASL because the dice bot is "broken".

2. Its irrational. ALL of the arguments / discussion I've heard has been pretty dang shallow. If you can prove to me that there is a problem severe enough that it is evident in 100 die rolls or so then I'll change sides. I'll even go over to Rodney's house and beat him up for publishing a piece of junk.

But untill you can demostrate more than a "feeling" you're just wasting time and discouraging players from trying VASL.

JMO*, YMMV**, WTHDIC***

Sam

* In My Opinion
** Your Milage May Vary
*** What the Heck Do I Care

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
dicebot woes...

I agree. I have seen real dice do the strangest of things at times.

This past summer a buddy who makes his annual migration to his birthplace and I were playing a short scenario from OotA. In one sequence of DRs, I rolled 6,6 - 6,6 - 1,1 - 6,6 - 1,1

That is no lie, and these dice havent been noted as being unfair in the past. In fact, my opponent used the same dice, so go figure...

IMHO, the bot is fine, though I do have the feeling that when boxcars is rolled, a snake-eyes isnt far behind. I just hope its me that gets the good DR!!

If the reluctance to use the bot is turning you away from vasl, you are missing out on the finest bit of programming known to mankind. Many cheers to RK and the gang!! Keep up the good work men!

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The bot doesn't discourage me from playing at all. I find I enjoy the game more using real dice and my tower. It really is the best 40$ I have spent in a while. My opponent and I are quite happy with this. An added benefit to this is that we no longer need the control window open at all and the MSN window (used for both webcam and voice) is on the side thus allowing for the map window to occupy almost the entire screen.

If anyone else has a webcam I suggest they give it a try sometime.

I guess I just dont trust the bot, I've been screwed so many times its not funny anymore. At least I can laugh at real dice when they hose me. The bot just makes me want to break something. Besides, if my real dice burn me I can pitch them across the room and get another set and THAT feels good :lol:

How typical to remember all the times that it's burned me and not remember all the good times (except the rolls :? ) I've had playing VASL. So on that note let me add that, like many others, if it wasn't for VASL I woudnt be playing ASL at all.

Thanks Rodney.