One year (and 9 days) anniversary of no patch

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a bit sad.

The last report on the forum are talking about friendly fire issues that were apparently solved by a beta patch not widely distributed :(.

I've been playing with the new map maker that seems more user friendly than ADC2 (and forget about trying to use real world map) using Don Maddox (IIRC) hexamps for all zoom level but encountered issues linking it to a TEC. To boot, there doesn't seem to be the same supporting files for a new map than for the old POA2 maps - color me confused.

Anyway, is there anything on the horizon apart from vague promises ?

Last edited:

turbidite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
UPDATE: replayed a couple of scenarios during the past few days and, in my case, I've written this game off. Even with lowest resolution on all settings turns are agonizingly long, odd friendly fire is happening (saw a buch of german grenading a friendly Opel Blitz truck while not under attack). Just for the record, I played using maneuver groups. Tried to run non-stop or by increment of 5-10 turns to increase a bit the tempo but the flow was regularly interrupted by pop-up messages about "Clear" being added to some units or corruped aircraft paths. These needed to be acknowledged before turn execution could proceed (I am using the latest patch: TU_1_00_10(beta_b)).

Good luck for the courageous few that will keep trying !

O.Schmidt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I give up! I think this (TU) game is dead!

I go now to "Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge" (Matrix Games)!

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AFAIK the game is not dead. The predecessor (POA2) took years to turn into a good product, but it did. I think that the designer has just had a great many personal issues which have slowed things, but I do believe there will be a patch/update on this.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just spoke by email with the designer today, and they are expecting a patch release in days if nothing crops up, as well as that he states that ADC3, and the second edition of TU are in advanced testing stages also.... so no, the game is not dead, just very complex- so much so that each small change requires a great deal of testing to be certain of not altering game play in other areas.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just spoke by email with the designer today, and they are expecting a patch release in days if nothing crops up,
LOL

For that matter, complex software is usually done with automated testing. If all testing is by hand this mess is hardly a surprise.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the end this is a small niche market. HPS Simulations has put out a lot of great products, but to do things any differently probably the price of the products would make it an even smaller market, until there was no market.

I really feel that this market needs some better advertising. I know that my own nephew loves war games now, after I got him to try them. The problem really is that the only people who usually know they even exist, are a small piece of the population. They are seldom advertised anywhere. It is truly amazing that there still are talented people willing to do the work to provide these products.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Re: New Patch Available

I just played TU with the latest patch posted on HPSSIMS website (I did TSS Update 3 and then 8) and the game rules a lot faster, seems overall nice progress. Yes this is a very complex software and there aren't that many people interested in something like TU, Western Front is under testing as well right now.

Mike Acid

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It's a bit sad.

The last report on the forum are talking about friendly fire issues that were apparently solved by a beta patch not widely distributed :(.

I've been playing with the new map maker that seems more user friendly than ADC2 (and forget about trying to use real world map) using Don Maddox (IIRC) hexamps for all zoom level but encountered issues linking it to a TEC. To boot, there doesn't seem to be the same supporting files for a new map than for the old POA2 maps - color me confused.

Anyway, is there anything on the horizon apart from vague promises ?
So, it seems that another year has passed since the last update.

Some months ago I've read they were going to release the second game in the series from '43-'45, but then nothing more. I tried their custom support service on their web page to get som info whats going on, but never got an answer. That was several weeks ago.

I don't know if I care anymore. I read a new Steel Panthers is in the making. Perhaps I'll look into that instead of this major fiasko. Ten plus years... geesh.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My last communication with Scott was late July. In it, he indicated an update was forthcoming and subsequent to that, two new games in the TSS series.

I will ask him for an update.

void

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Since last patch I managed to get married, get a daughter over 1 year old and forget about that game... and still nothing has changed about it.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since last patch I managed to get married, get a daughter over 1 year old and forget about that game... and still nothing has changed about it.
Void,
Congratulations!

What is it that John Lennon :"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans".

When it comes to the TSS engine, I have no expectations. Every couple of months I check if there is anything new. If not, I either play Flashpoint Campaigns, Command Ops, Command: Modern Air/Naval, or Combat Mission. Plenty of games to play. I still fool around with POA and TU from time to time. It's my "white whale" game - if it ever reaches it's potential, it would be the only game I would play. I'm always optimistic Scott will make that happen.

void

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Yes! Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm. Also WinSPWW2/WinSPMBT.
The moment I got a daughter I started appreciating PBEM with a friend. I have more games then time.

Mike Acid

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I got my hands on the pre-beta, and the game is MUCH faster. The sighting phase now uses more than one core, and some new stuff. I created a scenario with about 500 units in total on the map, and the sighting phase is a no issue, it really only takes about 10 seconds using everything on the quickest calculations. Not minutes, but actually seconds!

Give him a mail and see if you can get a hold of the it, and see for yourself. I'll try and play around with it a little more and see if I find any bugs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Major Change List:

* = Corrections
+ = Additions/Improvements

* Updated the WpnSys Data Table Editor Form - was showing double first columns, and can now set name of new system when adding.
* Fixed an intermittent c++ access error when an artillery impact detonated multiple mines without any other units nearby.
* Fixed a number of incorrect size values in the IP Data Table.
* Corrected C++ error in Composite Units Form
* Fixed access error when selecting "Specialized Engr Op" from Engineering Operations Form.
* Added a "Water Placement OK" flag to IP's; IP's and obstacles placed in prohibited terrain from previous saves are now automatically removed.
* VP's weren't being added back when player-placed objects (IP's, mines, etc.) were removed from the map.
* Limited situational auto-unloading to ground units.
* Stopped the Main Form Pop-up menu
* Fixed "Cut/Copy/Paste" pop-up menu functions from Force Selection Form; now also highlight updated units on tree.
* 'Done' button now always enabled after force selection on low Expert Levels.
* Fixed an intermittent c++ access error in the AI force auto-selection process.
* Corrected issues with New Game Checklist form:
- was showing incorrect steps completed
- was not completely resetting after closing
- was not displaying correct Personnel VP totals.
* Fixed "Div by zero" floating point error in Shoot & Scoot determination routines.
* Corrected an issue with sighting under low light conditions - was "overflowing" and acting as if in full light.
* Lowered mechanical breakdown probabilities (for movement).
* LOS wasn't being displayed in replay (at Level 6) for units that were destroyed during the turn.
* TO&E Form was resizing properly below a certain size.
+ Updated Turn Combat/Action Reporting to better preserve FOW and also show more results info.
+ Adjusted force auto-selection routines; now more heavily weighted towards combat arms over support type formations.
+ Added new options to speed up sighting (Preferences | Performance):
- "Aggregate Units of Same Type": all units of the same general type (Infantry, AFV, etc.)in a loc are considered a single 'unit' for sighting purposes (as spotter or tgt) and use avg values for unit values and equipment.
- Min Visible Target Size: A random determination is made to skip checking to the LOS to targets of this apparent size (in Min of Arc) or smaller.
- Quick LOS Blocking check: The blocking points (as %) in the spot and tgt locs are totaled, and a random determination made to see if the LOS should be skipped (60% blocked, 60% chance of being skipped).
+ Arty Missions Form now shows message while processing.
+ Mouse Wheel now zooms in/out on map. Zoom-in centers on mouse position.
+ Optimized LOS sighting routines
+ Added options to use multi-core processors/threading: Set in Preferences | Performance. Currently only used for Turn Detection Phase.
+ Updated AI to better unload units when they get into locs threatened by enemy fire.
+ Added automatic checks for visible display layers when new game loaded, or player logs in.
+ Adjusted LOS X-Section Form to be resizable.
+ Adjusted Main Form to make resizing smoother.
+ Modified hexside obstacles to be a single side (instead of N/S/E/W)
+ Updated FOW for obstacles to be more realistic.
+ Expanded set-up sequence and controls to give players more options and information on the steps and sequence.
+ Added check if primary map display layers enabled when game first shown.
+ Adjusted max possible known level for enemy personnel in IP's, based on IP blocking: 30%=Level 4 Max; 50+%: Level 3 Max.
+ Updated Engineering Operations Form to be more intuitive, and to show more information and feedback on actions.
+ Added option to remove unit FOW from combat reports in games with at least one AI player (use Arrow Control on Reporting Form). It affects ONLY the text shown; normal FOW and limitation remains in effect for all purposes.
+ Added "Suppression to S-1 Staff Officer, and also as an option for 'mouse-over' text (Preferences | Map/Colors"
+ Changed "Move Timeouts" caption on Combat Reporting Form to "AI Move Timeouts", and added a descriptive mouse-over hint.
+ Added "additional Illum" level to mouse-over text (from flares, fires, etc.)
+ Added and option to "Zoom out for Air Movement" in the combat phase instead of just doing it by default.
+ Added option to stop the auto-close countdown tfor the LOS Form during the Combat Phase/Replay (Detail Level 6)
+ Updated the Set Initial Conditions Form (when creating new games) - Nation selction now on top, and country name shown in header.
+ Improved ammo selection AI to better account for "area" effects from HE, flame, incendiary, etc.
+ Leader casualty status now shown in S-1 screen, incl from all previous turns.
+ Additonal unit symbols added.
+ FSO (arty) Staff Officer now shows a list of all IF units and allows player the option to see their existing missions & possible targeting locations.
+ Added checks for invalid weapons systems when creating/editing scenarios.
+ Updated Composite Units Editing Form to be more user-friendly & allow multi-selection.
+ Added option to remove a carrier from a Composite Unit Group after unloading passengers (if they are in the same group). This creates a separate unit for the carrier.
+ Updated Unloading Form to be easier to use and provide more information on Composite Unit Group status and on how to keep them together.
+ "Added "TRP:" to the info text string for them in the Location Information Box.

O.Schmidt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the Info!

This B-Patch is for TSS or PoA???

Salute
OSchmidt

Mike Acid

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks for the Info!

This B-Patch is for TSS or PoA???

Salute
OSchmidt
I only got the .exe file (for tigers unleashed). There is some problems during scenario creation, so I haven't been able to play. I might get a new beta next week. Scott might give you too if you ask.