"One Thing About..." Prisoners

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played Point of the Sword (ASL102) this weekend, and had to reference the Prisoner rules a few times. So I thought it would be fitting for the next topic.

My Submission:
"A Guard Squad with a Squad of Prisoners can attack other units, but a Guard Squad with a Squad of Prisoners plus a Leader Prisoner cannot"

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
They work for you ( digging foxholes, clear rubble etc. )

MK

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prisoners generate more questions than almost any other section of the rulebook.

(From my own experience compiling Q&A).

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Japanese and Italians never try to escape, also Axis minor Allies ( but they do when fighting in their own country )

Realy cool allies, Adolf :rolleyes:

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
A single Guard unit can guard prisioners up to 5 times it's own US# (EX: A SMC can guard one squad and one HS).

A Guard whose US# is lower than the total US# of it's prisioners may not attack other than it's prisioners (except in CC), nor Interdict, Kindle or use an SW.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Guards may freely break thier prisoner squads into HS or re-combine them as they wish. This means Russians can split their prisoners up to double their deployment sleaze fun. -- jim

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guards may freely break thier prisoner squads into HS or re-combine them as they wish. This means Russians can split their prisoners up to double their deployment sleaze fun. -- jim
I just had some fun with this this weekend. The word "freely" really needs to be fixed. Imagine - you have a squad guarding a prisoner. They prep fire with full FP and then freely deploy during the DFPh so as to limit their exposure to dfire. Then freely recombine afterwards. Not such a good thing.

I wrote a kickass prisoner article called Hande Hoch for Coastal Fortress's Forward Observer (volume 1). I can't find it from my machine at work, but I think the Wayback Machine (www.archive.org) should have it. It answered a lot of prisoner questions with the aid of Perry Sez's.

Perry is aware that the prisoner rules need tweaking. It's on his agenda, and when they do get tweaked, I imagine an article will be accompanying in some issue of the Journal.

Tom

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just had some fun with this this weekend. The word "freely" really needs to be fixed. Imagine - you have a squad guarding a prisoner. They prep fire with full FP and then freely deploy during the DFPh so as to limit their exposure to dfire. Then freely recombine afterwards. Not such a good thing.
Tom
When I saw you had a response to this thread I was sure your contribution would be "Towed Guns are NOT prisoners!"

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing about prisoners is...

Who rolls the MC's required of prisoners?

The original player? (whose troops are now prisoners)

Or the player whose troops are currently guarding them?

I've see it played both ways. :smoke:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
One thing about prisoners is...

Who rolls the MC's required of prisoners?

The original player? (whose troops are now prisoners)

Or the player whose troops are currently guarding them?

I've see it played both ways. :smoke:
Is there a situation where it matters (since Prisoner MCs can't trigger SAN anyway) ?

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Prisoners do not prohibit movement through their hex except if they are Japanese. The Japanese kind of go crazy and jump all over you or something like that?

:ciao:

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a situation where it matters (since Prisoner MCs can't trigger SAN anyway) ?
Not that I can see (with the possible exeption of booby traps), but I've had opponets that insist it is one way or the other. I'm just wondering if it is specified somewhere in the rulebook that I've missed. Failing a rules reference I was wondering how most folks played it.

Last edited:

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Japanese and Italians never try to escape, also Axis minor Allies ( but they do when fighting in their own country )

Realy cool allies, Adolf :rolleyes:
Yes our nowadays German government is a bit smarter.

They ally with some really big nations (USA et al) to invade Yugoslavia (only a part of) and Afghanistan.

But really:
Prisoner rules need a fix (sequential CC, Pin status).

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I wrote a kickass prisoner article called Hande Hoch for Coastal Fortress's Forward Observer (volume 1). I can't find it from my machine at work, but I think the Wayback Machine (www.archive.org) should have it. It answered a lot of prisoner questions with the aid of Perry Sez's.
Bumping this because I found Tom's article here. They also have Costal Fortress 2 there as well. -- jim

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick quiz.... What nationality's escaped prisoners are (in some ways) more "macho" than their 1st line armed quivalents?

Give up?

USA first line squads have a morale of 6 - same as an unarmed (escaped) prisoner. So, if you have an 6-6-6 squad who is captured and escapes - hand him a SW so he's "armed".

Now, an armed 6-6-6 who is charging across open ground and he gets a morale check. If he rolls a 7 or more he breaks and stops his charge.

An unarmed unit doing the same charge rolls a 7 or more (as long as it's not a 12) and he just reduces to a HS and continues the charge.

Weird...:)