"One Thing About"...Night

bos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
+1 MF cost for movement in concealment terrain, but not when cloaked!

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use of a captured MG causes an immediate sniper attack against that location.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too funny Argent......don't faust me bro............find me a 6 foot or taller blonde for your next avatar........

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too funny Argent......don't faust me bro............find me a 6 foot or taller blonde for your next avatar........
I'm fine with the current smokin' hot brunette he's got. Salma Hayek is one of the most interesting woman around. Not just beauty, but brains and definitely has a sense of humor.

JT

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The ATTACKER´s ambushed dr must only be two less than that of the DEFENDER´s, unless in an illuminated location.

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
E 1.71 is cool (for defenders anyway): "Once any starshell/IR has been fired, a MG can place a Fire Lane without firing at any moving target if it can place a Fire Lane Residual FP counter in a Location that is Bore Sighted by that MG..."

The Bore Sighted location doesn not have to be within NVR (confirmed by a Q&A to Perry).

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave C,

Thanks for that awesome tidbit w.r.t. MG Fire Lanes @ Night towards Bore-sighted Locations. I will be using that knowledge in my next defensive setup for a Night scenario.

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
Wow... quiet thread. Where's the love for night?

Here's another:

E1.421 All MF costs for a Cloaking counter are identical to daytime costs...

This is great for hauling-ass through jungle. But if you've played the Japanese side of Edson's Ridge, you already knew that. :cool:

Dave

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
Okay... here's another, and most important:

JRV is tha man... and wrote the definitive article on E1 ("Bring On The Night" in Backblast #1 and Out Of The Attic). Read it. Again. Then read Tom Repetti's examples, and follow his advice, and read Bring on the Night again!

My favorite passage:

Once the first Starshell/IR has been placed, subsequent Starshells/IRs may be freely placed according to the methods described below. Unlike placing the first Starshell/IR, subsequent attempts to place a Starshell/IR may be made by qualified units unconditionally (at the proper time): there is no need to meet any conditions, including the conditions for firing the first Starshell/IR. During the Player Turn of the first Starshell/IR, they may be fired at any time during the PFPh, enemy MPh, or DFPh by the appropriate player [E1.92]. After that Player Turn, for the rest of the game, the ATTACKER can fire Starshells/IR only at the beginning of the PFPh [E1.921], and the DEFENDER can place Starshells at the beginning of the enemy MPh and IR (both OBA and MTR) at the beginning of the DFPh [ASOP3.12D, ASOP4.11D]. There is one major exception: a Leader (including a CE Armor Leader) can place a Starshell at any point during the PFPh, enemy MPh, or DFPh [E1.921].
Catch that? Once a starshell/IR has been placed, on subsequent turns if you're the DEFENDER and have an IR capable MTR... you can only pop one at the start of your DFPh... (thanks to Trezz for driving that home during a half-in-the-bag VASL observation session). In other words, the ASOP is huge (wikkid 'uge for my YASL/Bunker bros) for Illumination!

Dave

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Catch that? Once a starshell/IR has been placed, on subsequent turns if you're the defender and have an IR capable MTR... you can only pop one at the start of your DFPh... (thanks to Trezz for driving that home during a half-in-the-bag VASL observation session). In other words, the ASOP is huge (wikkid 'uge for my YASL/Bunker bros) for Illumination!
I have not the time to look this up and I am NRBH anyways, but could this be a confusion between the terms SCENARIO DEFENDER (the chap who gets stuck on No Move counters) and DEFENDER (ie; the player who is not the phasing player)? Each player is the DEFENDER and ATTACKER in any given whole game turn. That would allow you to fire the mortar twice a turn (once in PFPh and once in DFF). Anyone else out there who can confirm this? -- jim

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have not the time to look this up and I am NRBH anyways, but could this be a confusion between the terms SCENARIO DEFENDER (the chap who gets stuck on No Move counters) and DEFENDER (ie; the player who is not the phasing player)? Each player is the DEFENDER and ATTACKER in any given whole game turn. That would allow you to fire the mortar twice a turn (once in PFPh and once in DFF). Anyone else out there who can confirm this? -- jim
A Scenario Defender is the player that sets up on board with all enemy units entering during the scenario.

The ATTACKER is the player whose player turn is currently being played. The DEFENDER is the player whose player turn is not being currently played.

Note the capitalization of DEFENDER as opposed to the Scenario Defender. There is no such thing as the SCENARIO DEFENDER.

So, an IR can be fired twice each turn (i.e. once each player turn) by a MTR. Once while the owning player is the ATTACKER (at the beginning of the PFPh), and once while the owning player is the DEFENDER (at the beginning of the DFPh)--after the player turn in which the first SS/IR was placed.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So, an IR can be fired twice each turn (i.e. once each player turn) by a MTR. Once while the owning player is the ATTACKER (at the beginning of the PFPh), and once while the owning player is the DEFENDER (at the beginning of the DFPh)--after the player turn in which the first SS/IR was placed.
This is what I thought Brian. Thanks! -- jim

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
I corrected the capitalization in my post. And yes, as the ATTACKER you can pop an IR at the start of the PFPh.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting:

"There is one major exception: a Leader (including a CE Armor Leader) can place a Starshell at any point during the PFPh, enemy MPh, or DFPh [E1.921]."

If a leader makes a starshell attempt at the beginning of the opponent's movement phase, can they make another attempt later in the movement phase or at during DFPh?

If not, if a MMC stacked with a leader makes the starshell attempt for that hex in the beginning of movement phase, can the leader in the same hex attempt to do so at DFPh?

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a leader makes a starshell attempt at the beginning of the opponent's movement phase, can they make another attempt later in the movement phase or at during DFPh?

If not, if a MMC stacked with a leader makes the starshell attempt for that hex in the beginning of movement phase, can the leader in the same hex attempt to do so at DFPh?
No to both. It's one attempt per hex so no double-dipping. i.e. units cannot attempt twice at different times nor can multiple units in the same hex make individual attempts during the same player turn.