"One Thing About..." Moving, Motion, Stopped, etc.

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen alot of questions about this from SK3 players. Can we possibly cover all the bases in this thread?

My submission:
"You may attempt to put a mobile vehicle in motion with a Motion Attempt (even if your vehicle is already in motion!) during your opponents MPh"

JD Sullivan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Moving vehicles shoot with a doubling of the lower dr on their To Hit attempt can cannot place an Acq unless equipped with a functioning Gyro.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A vehicle must Stop when switching between Reverse and Forward movement.
Bah. So ahistorical - I've seen the Rockford files & there's no stopping!

Only Stopped vehicles are eligible to receive the -2/-1 for point blank fire (IIRC case L?). That's true as both targets or firers...

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Moving vehicles shoot with a doubling of the lower dr on their To Hit attempt can cannot place an Acq unless equipped with a functioning Gyro.
Bounding First Fire (whether while stopped or non-stopped) does not allow Acquisition placement (EXC Gyro).
Area Target Type is not allowed during BFF, either.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A vehicle which bypasses a hex containing an enemy unit and ends it's movement in bypass (whether in motion or not) immediately strips the enemy unit's concealment.

Rich

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't advertise this as an SK3 primer when many of the tactics likely to be discussed will only be good for ASL, not SK3.
True. It can definitely be inferred I was aiming for a SK FAQ thread - but I wasn't. That would probably open up a can of worms on the differences (tactical or otherwise) of the two systems.

I tried a SK scenario with AFVs and I was constantly checking the rules to see what I couldn't do with that system.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An LC may not end its MPh stopped unless adjacent to a pier.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't know that. I thought only the Stopped vehicles were eligible. ;)
D'oh! Thanks - I edited my original to correct the obvious error of my ways.

I started off writing about Non-Stopped w/regards to CC & changed my mind mid-stream, but not the Non-Stopped portion...Arrgghh!!

The +2 DRM in CC applies immediately to a Non-Stopped vehicle which starts even though it does not qualify as a moving target to ordnance THs until changing hexes.

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A vehicle which expends an MP to start is NOT (yet) a motion target. If it spins around in its hex, it is not yet a motion target. If it pops smoke, it is not yet a motion target. however, once it 'leaves' its hex, it is now 'moving' and harder to hit.

For the very first mp expenditure, ie, starting the engine, is the vehicle non-stopped with regard to point blank fire?

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D'oh! Thanks - I edited my original to correct the obvious error of my ways.

I started off writing about Non-Stopped w/regards to CC & changed my mind mid-stream, but not the Non-Stopped portion...Arrgghh!!

The +2 DRM in CC applies immediately to a Non-Stopped vehicle which starts even though it does not qualify as a moving target to ordnance THs until changing hexes.
Yep, most misinterpret the stopped vehicle definition with ordinance and then CC as well. If you expend a Stop MP then you are eligible for point blank, but you still get +2 DRM for having entered a new hex that turn (if you did). This +2 DRM however doesn't apply in the CC phase, it's only during that DFPh.

TSUN

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A vehicle which expends an MP to start is NOT (yet) a motion target. If it spins around in its hex, it is not yet a motion target. If it pops smoke, it is not yet a motion target. however, once it 'leaves' its hex, it is now 'moving' and harder to hit.
It's Moving Vehicle Target (C.8), (MVT) but the target vehicle can be in Motion.
The Firer is in Motion/Non-Stopped. (Case C4) ;)

And the vehicle doesn't have to enter a new hex to be a MVT. VCA followed by VBM around the same hex obstacle would still count as moving.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's Moving Vehicle Target (C.8), (MVT) but the target vehicle can be in Motion.
The Firer is in Motion/Non-Stopped. (Case C4) ;)

And the vehicle doesn't have to enter a new hex to be a MVT. VCA followed by VBM around the same hex obstacle would still count as moving.
D2.12 "The Starting MP expenditure is considered to take place in the currently occupied hex (thereby making it subject to Defensive First Fire in that hex although not as a moving target; C.8)."

Maybe that's what you are saying, but for some reason it comes across as quite the opposite to me.

RG

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If your AFV is not eligible to stop in an enemy AFV's Location due to lack of adequate TK capability, your AFV can't attempt ESB to generate the additional MPs needed to leave that Location. Your AFV is simply not allowed to enter the hex!

Learned this one running a German HT against a T-26 last night during an attempt to Exit the map at a VC Exit hex!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If your AFV is not eligible to stop in an enemy AFV's Location due to lack of adequate TK capability, your AFV can't attempt ESB to generate the additional MPs needed to leave that Location. Your AFV is simply not allowed to enter the hex!
You AFV may use ESB even when it may not remain in one of the hexes it drives through. Per D2.6, it "may not attempt ESB in that hex," i.e. the hex with the enemy AFV. Per D2.5, your AFV may make the ESB DR "at any point during its move". So as long as you don't attempt the ESB DR in the blocking enemy AFV's hex, you are good. I suppose it gives away the tactic, but it still gives you a shot.

JR