"One Thing About..." LOS

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The concept:
Each thread will be about a particular aspect of the game. Each person to submit to the thread enters one (new) rule/tactic regarding the subject.

Guidelines:
1) The rule/tactic should be a single sentence which touches on only one facet of the thread topic.
2) No ‘multiple-postings’ (ie, you must wait until somebody else posts before you can submit another entry)

My submission for this thread:
LOS checks for Concealment removal are 'free' (ie, with no penalty for a blocked LOS).

asler

Reaction score
The concept:
Each thread will be about a particular aspect of the game. Each person to submit to the thread enters one (new) rule/tactic regarding the subject.

Guidelines:
1) The rule/tactic should be a single sentence which touches on only one facet of the thread topic.
2) No ‘multiple-postings’ (ie, you must wait until somebody else posts before you can submit another entry)

LOS checks for Concealment removal are 'free' (ie, with no penalty for a blocked LOS).
A unit on a second level hill hex can see over a 1st level building (excepting Blind Hexes). For some reason I always think the building blocks LOS.

CG

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Any combination of LOS hindrance ( Smoke, vision and/or terrain ) DRM ≥ +6 blocks the LOS completely.

MK

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hills

A LOS traced to a crest reduces the number of hexes blocked by one....

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A unit firing on an enemy in bypass can optionally use it's one LOS check to either vertex (or one of three verticies if two hexsides are bypassed) and if free of hinderances gets the FFMO -1.

Rich

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LOS is reciprocal, excepted for a unit IN smoke.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

For this reason, it is sometimes a good tactic to voluntarily drop concealment before moving. It there are any "iffy" LOS issues where you'll be moving - drop concealment and make the other guy risk a shot on a blocked LOS. (IOW, don't let him take the free check.)

:p

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SMOKE and FFE LOS hinderances take affect in the attacker/defender hexes, as opposed to other LOS hindrances which must be between the attacker and defender.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because of the geometry of hexes, LOS traced to and from a hex center will always pass through the middle of a hex side, OR the middle of a hex at the mid point of the LOS.

This is very useful for estimating LOS before stringing it.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The odds of a given LOS being "Open" are inversely proportional to how much you want it to be open. :angry:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOS to a unit using a road can also be traced to where the road crosses the hexside.

Something like that. Sorry, NRBH.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOS down an orchard road is only unhindered by said orchard if the LOS never leaves the road depiction.

The oddly undulating orchard roads on board V kept me from accepting the surrender of a half squad last night no less...

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Odd Board printing

Because of the geometry of hexes, LOS traced to and from a hex center will always pass through the middle of a hex side, OR the middle of a hex at the mid point of the LOS.

This is very useful for estimating LOS before stringing it.
How do You play that on boards with definitely off center hex dots (eg. mounted boards 22, 23) when estimating an alternate hexgrain LOS?

I would propose that the LOS follows from printed dot to printed dot and if it does not touch the hexside it is "supposed to" touch You have estimated wrong.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOS to a unit using a road can also be traced to where the road crosses the hexside.

Something like that. Sorry, NRBH.
Man, you really should have a better grasp of the rules before you post in here! :hush: :p

Actually, it's A4.132, and I never knew that. Thanks.

Last edited:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do You play that on boards with definitely off center hex dots (eg. mounted boards 22, 23) when estimating an alternate hexgrain LOS?

I would propose that the LOS follows from printed dot to printed dot and if it does not touch the hexside it is "supposed to" touch You have estimated wrong.
When playing on a board with obviously out-of-center dots, I usually suggest to my opponent (at the beginning of the game, or the first LOS check) that we use the dots for LOS even tho' they are wrong. It's just impossible to trace from the "center" when it's miss printed. I'd rather have a LOS that is clearly defined. So in these cases, the trick is not as accurate...

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
When playing on a board with obviously out-of-center dots, I usually suggest to my opponent (at the beginning of the game, or the first LOS check) that we use the dots for LOS even tho' they are wrong. It's just impossible to trace from the "center" when it's miss printed. I'd rather have a LOS that is clearly defined. So in these cases, the trick is not as accurate...
I also try to play it your way because it would be no good to take the real (non printed) hex centers for LOS exactly along a hexgrain or along an alternate hexgrain and to fall back to the seemingly misprinted ones for all other hexgrains. But occasionaly I find opponents who dont accept this.

Hopefully the new SK maps take care of that.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The limitation in B10.31 for loss of HA while moving up the crestline with the LOS crossing that crestline only mentions DFF, not interdiction. :crosseye:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The limitation in B10.31 for loss of HA while moving up the crestline with the LOS crossing that crestline only mentions DFF, not interdiction. :crosseye:
I'm not sure the lack of mention matters. (IOW, interdiction would still occur.) The reason it doesn't matter? Because Open Ground (for purposes of interdiction) is defined as any hex "in which any Interdictor could apply the -1 FFMO DRM". So if any interdicting unit gets the exception for HA - it's open ground. (JMO - YMMV - NTIAPITW*).

JMO - Just my Opinion
YMMV - Your Milage May Vary
NTIAPIR - Not that I've always played it that way