"One Thing About..." Bypass

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like the first thread generated good input, so here is a topic that I'd be interested in hearing some tactics for. This can be either infantry of vehicular bypass.

Remember that each reply should only touch on one rule or tactic of the topic (thus the title of the thread)

My submission to start of this thread:
If a unit is in Bypass, and breaks, it remains in the open until the end of it's MPh, and is then considered in the woods/building it was bypassing during Final Fire.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Units in bypass can claim the TEM of the woods/building against residual firepower in the location.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Units in bypass can claim the TEM of the woods/building against residual firepower in the location.
And they suffer Air Bursts when hit by Indirect Fire/OBA, while bypassing woods.:upset:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A unit firing at a bypassing infantry unit has three LOS options.

1 & 2) Either of bypassed hexside's verticies

and

3) The hex center dot if los also exists to the any portion of the bypassed hexside

(I am NASLRB handy, so 3 may be off in that it may be that the LOF has to cross the hexside being bypassed, although I do not think that required)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
3) The hex center dot if los also exists to the any portion of the bypassed hexside

(I am NASLRB handy, so 3 may be off in that it may be that the LOF has to cross the hexside being bypassed, although I do not think that required)
Rule A4.34:
"If the firer traces his LOS to the hex center, it must cross a bypassed hexside (thus usually qualifying for a -2 DRM for Non-Assault Movement in Open Ground) before reaching that hex center or the LOS is blocked."

Used this specific LOS option early this year in a game of "RPT4 Transylvania 6-5000" to hold off the Hungarian hordes.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When checking for LOS (because of a declared shot, for example) you may ony check ONE vertex (or the center if the LOS crosses the bypassed hexside). (IOW, you may not check each of the two or three vertices bypassed.)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
the unit bypasses the hex at the base level of the hex not the level o the obstacle. i.e. when a level 1 hill hex has woods that "spill" over the crest line such that the depiction of the hexside is all level 0 the hex is still bypassed at level 1.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a vehicle is destroyed in bypass, no other vehicles my bypass that hexside.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A vehicle in bypass is subject to the -1 for Street Fighting in both movement and CCPh attacks by non fire marked infantry occupying the woods or building being bypassed.

Rich

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A unit (infantry or vehicle) in bypass occupies the same location as a unit in the woods or bottom level of the building be bypassed.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Two vehicles may not be in bypass along the same hexside, even if they are in both adjacent hexes the hexside belongs to.

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are we allowed to ask questions here?

Q: A non-dm brokie 'sees' the 1mf of bypass, as a KEU slips around a rowhouse hexside, and into another rowhouse location adj (but not ADJ) to the brokie, for 3mf total. Brokie is no longer ADJ to KEU, but did that one MF suffice for a DM?

DaveStory

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are we allowed to ask questions here?

Q: A non-dm brokie 'sees' the 1mf of bypass, as a KEU slips around a rowhouse hexside, and into another rowhouse location adj (but not ADJ) to the brokie, for 3mf total. Brokie is no longer ADJ to KEU, but did that one MF suffice for a DM?
I'm not completely clear on your question, but I think a general answer is that if, at any time, a Broken unit as ADJACENT to an Known Armed Enemy, then it gets DM.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am NASLRBH, but I believe that the bypassed MF is spent leaving the building location currently in (e.g. range is based on the building hex exited). Therefore, the enemy unit is never ADJACENT to the broken unit.

However, I may be wrong--the MF may be spent in the hex being entered, in which case the unit is ADJACENT and the broken unit is DMed.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am NASLRBH, but I believe that the bypassed MF is spent leaving the building location currently in (e.g. range is based on the building hex exited). Therefore, the enemy unit is never ADJACENT to the broken unit.
Pretty sure the MF is spent in the entering hex. If shot on the bypass the unit still ends up in the new hex & does not revert to the old location they were trying to leave.
However, I may be wrong--the MF may be spent in the hex being entered, in which case the unit is ADJACENT and the broken unit is DMed.
Although I disagree with this sentiment. I view the bypass location as a "meta state" where the unit can be shot, but for all other purposes doesn't really exist in that vertex. After all, a unit can't go from bypassing that vertex into the next hex beyond, where the brokie is (ignoring the fact that in most instances the broken unit prevents entry), directly - he has to go into the building.

Wouldn't shock me if I'm wrong on the latter point, but I'd play it that the brokie didn't become DM. When there was LOS, there was no ability to advance directly into the brokie's hex (i.e. when bypassing the vertex) & when there was the ability to advance (i.e. when in the rowhouse proper) there was no LOS. Hence the unit was never truly ADJACENT IMO...

And on the original topic - how 'bout something esoteric: Cavalry cannot bypass when galloping...Makes Charges on a woods board a pain.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A vehicle towing a Gun (and possibly other stuff) may not bypass.

JT

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure the MF is spent in the entering hex. If shot on the bypass the unit still ends up in the new hex & does not revert to the old location they were trying to leave.
ASLRBH now, and the bypassed vertex is in the hex being left. If broken/pinned the unit remains in the location it was trying to leave, B23.71.

So, the enemy is never ADJACENT and the broken unit is not DMed.