One thing about 6+1 leaders

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MGMASL gave me an idea when he was complaining about the randomness of leader generation in CGs...

So, the one thing about title says it all, but the subtitle should be "Colonels, huh, oh no, what are they good for?" Absolutely nothing isn't the right response... (Extra points for making it fit in the song at 6 syllables.)

Sni-i-i-iper bait.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
MGMASL gave me an idea when he was complaining about the randomness of leader generation in CGs...

So, the one thing about title says it all, but the subtitle should be "Colonels, huh, oh no, what are they good for?" Absolutely nothing isn't the right response... (Extra points for making it fit in the song at 6 syllables.)

Sni-i-i-iper bait.
a 6+1 is the ideal spotter or radio operator.

It can be useful also for its movement bonus and to carry that extra PP.

As sniper bait I would rather use dummies or - even better - I would deploy a couple of squads in the hex containing the VIP needing protection.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I generally treat my 6+1 as a full leader for everything except fire direction. He'll move squads around as fast as a 10-3. He's not quite as good as a 7-0 for Rallying, but in woods/building he's ok with non-DM troops. I have even used one to direct fire when a cower was a much worse result than the +1 DRM.

The other classic use for the 6+1, which has been discussed many times before, is as a DC Delivery Guy and/or FT bearer. He probably won't get through, but he will draw fire. (I like the 7-0 better for this role, because the 7-0 won't disrupt on ELR failure.) In general, except in campaign games, if you have a 6+1, you usually don't have a leader to spare.

JR

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Sni-i-i-iper bait.
6+1's are still elite so they can use toys like FT and DC. They are also good for movimg troops up to the front. Have him move with one stack and in the advance phase have him drop back to the follow up stack. This way he can share his movement bonus with more guys.

jim

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The presense of a leader - even a 6+1 leader - means your stack of broken guys can attempt rally every rally phase. And not just the one MMC in your player turn.

A 6+1 negates the +1 for self rally so you're typically rallying (in woods or building) with your broken morale up one for terrain (and down 4 if you're DM).

Still, better than no chance to rally.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
They are perfect for guarding prisioners and take them offboard at the first opportunity. :D

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are perfect for guarding prisioners and take them offboard at the first opportunity. :D
What, Col.Klink isn't good enough for you?

Seriously, good thread.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I moved the thread to the Tactics and Strategy forum, as it is not a rules or errata question, but a discussion of how to use a 6+1 leader.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That 6+1 can still manage to open a tincan in CC as he is freed of PAATC. I once lost an immobilized king tiger to a wounded 6+1 (D'oh).

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
♪ Cutting off those rout paths! ♫
Finally someone got the musical extra to the one thing about thread...

I moved the thread to the Tactics and Strategy forum, as it is not a rules or errata question, but a discussion of how to use a 6+1 leader.
It was supposed to be another one thing about thread. Nobody seems to remember much about them and posted lots of things early on.

It's really a rules discussion since at first glance a 6+1 looks good for "absolutely nothing!"... What rules can they be used to activate/abuse/use/etc., in other words, "what rules are they good for?"

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It's really a rules discussion since at first glance a 6+1 looks good for "absolutely nothing!"... What rules can they be used to activate/abuse/use/etc., in other words, "what rules are they good for?"
I would rather consider it is not a question of understanding the rules, but of applying them.
Application of the rules is nearer to tactical discussion, IMO.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You seem to be in a thread moving kind of mood today...:laugh:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They usually attack alone in CC as no one goes near them and their +1 CC mod.

They help their side by running up to enemy kill stacks and limiting SFF opportunities against their troops.

Rich

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Should be Rallied by another Leader for possible Battle Hardening(facing those consequences as Berserk could become a problem :laugh:).

6+1 to 7-0; "Your Promotion just came in"(what we said whenever someone BH'd :smoke:); Colonel to Corporal :laugh:

Last edited: