One-sided Sunk/Elevated Roads

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Actually, Steve, it's easy for me to envision these things since I live in Colorado. Oftentimes you wonder why they cut the road into the side of the hill, vs going THROUGH the hill or around the hill.
I know exactly what you mean. I lived for three years at about 8800 feet in Florrisant CO and serviced hospitals all through the hig country up to the Grand Tetons.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I think the important thing is that the terrain feature has to seem necessary given the other terrain around it. Often geoboard terrain seems to be somewhat arbitrary. There needs to be a reason the road cut into the side of the hill rather than going over it or around it.
Alpine Slopes (B10.211 ALPINE HILL OPTION )

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm doing a board for Designer X and I'm intrigued with the notion of one-sided Sunk/Elevated Roads:

View attachment 17074

These certainly are commonplace enough in hilly areas, but I'm wondering whether the general public hates the concept and whether there are obvious rules problems with it.

Edit - the valley is completely irrelevant to the proposed terrain type; I just added it to help motivate why the one-sided sunken road might be there. Sorry if this caused confusion.

Thoughts?
Wait until you make the narrow street version with buildings

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a minor data point, the Japanese at Kohima were astonished to the point of panic when the British tanks (Grants, I believe) drove up the side of the hill to get into their position. Nobody -- including the tank drivers! -- thought it could be done.

We ASL players with perfect knowledge of what is and isn't possible are difficult to astonish in the same way.
Which is why we need to use all the tools available, and on occasion create some more -- we do a LOT more with tanks, especially, than any real drivers were willing to try.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Pah! I am always out trapesing around the area. I wear out hiking boots regularly. The town lies on the high ground between two drainage areas. The coulee pictured above comes in from the west and winds its around the south of the town (with higher, steeper and often wooded slopes) and then heads east again to meet the Ghostpine Creek that meanders through its own broad, shallow valley.

If you want a real piece of Steppe Terrain this feature is just 15 minutes east of town. There are some abrupt elevation changes involved:

View attachment 17119
Maybe a new set of CTO* terrain features are needed?

*Canadian Theater of Operations. Or Canadian Theatre of Operations?

Nice pics, BTW!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Maybe a new set of CTO* terrain features are needed?

*Canadian Theater of Operations. Or Canadian Theatre of Operations?

Nice pics, BTW!
I think you'll find that Alberta is so much like other places - Ukrainian Steppes, Italian Apennines, Russian forests, Tunisian badlands - that whatever rules you wrote for them, would apply without need for change here.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I think you'll find that Alberta is so much like other places - Ukrainian Steppes, Italian Apennines, Russian forests, Tunisian badlands - that whatever rules you wrote for them, would apply without need for change here.
Tru Dat! This province have everything from muskeg in the north to (semi) desert in the southwest. Mountain peaks nearly 4000m (over 12,000') to badlands deep enough for dinosaur bones. Alpine and Boreal forest to the Great Plains of North America.

Bit of a geological mongrel if you really think about it.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the original question: if what's pictured is the only example on the board, please don't do this. Terrain that requires a whole bunch of new rules for two or three hexes on the board is miserable.

If you're making a 82-style board that is lousy with them, that's less bad (although don't expect it to get reused for anything ever again if it has its own unique terrain associated with it).

haggis

Reaction score
Country
ll
But that would require you to put that second hill in there, and sometimes that's not good.

I understand that Cliffs function similarly, but not exactly the same as the proposal since infantry can only Climb to get up a cliff.

Sounds like a collective "meh", which surprises and disappoints me, but hey, that's why I asked. Ya narrow-minded so-and-so's.
Actually, I really like this idea, I'm not sure why "extra" rules would be needed.