One Day in Pomerania

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 6 of SP11 Pomeranian Tigers. Dave Mareske's Germans are doing fine, but my 57L ATG has mission-killed all three non-KingTigers and one of the KTs succumbed to an IS-2 on turn 5. It would have helped if I hadn't plunged another IS-2 into a Building Cellar, but we weren't keeping close count of VPs. Still, I felt pretty good, with an IS-2 and an 8-1, 628/LMG guarding the road from Q7-Q10 to keep the Germans from going left:

Movement Phase comes around, and the 548 in R9 Dashes to P8. Shrugs off a PTC from the 8-1's stack, which laid a firelane.

Much to the 548's chagrin, the problem with winding up next to an IS-2 is that the turret spins pretty easily:

8-flat shot from the tank's CMG gets a 2MC. Which the squad rolls snakeyes for, HoB'ing to Fanatic. And then comes the tank's MA shot:

Oooh, a CH from a 122mm gun. I haven't been in the Heavy Payload section of the rules for quite some time. It got resolved as a 36(-1) shot:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

But wait! Boxcars are Duds only on TK rolls! An 11 on the 36 column is still a 2MC!

Well. THAT didn't go very well:

Still and all, if I could just nail that last remaining King Tiger who started the turn in U2, maybe I had a chance. Especially since he just rumbled right up to my other IS-2:

My To Hit:

GAH! Hull hit!

Dave says what the heck, let's take a Bounding Fire shot:

Aaaaand that's all she wrote, One Day In Pomerania.

Sigh.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I didn't recognize the map until I looked up the scen at the Archive and realized that this is Board 41 and that hex 010 has been (correctly) changed in VASL. The centre dot is on a "branch" of the depression spilling over from P9 - does this mean O10 is actually at level -1?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
You wouldn't have left 12 Residual. Turret CA change and BU would have reduced it by 3 steps (so 4 FP). Not that it would have made any difference, obviously.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
This story reminded of my game of this same scenario against my brother Teemu years ago.

I am the German. He fires a gun of an IS-2 and I decide kill that IS-2 with my King Tiger. I move the KT adjacent to the IS-2 and stop for my bounding fire shot. BOXCARS. Rats, lets get this thing moving so he might miss me on the prep - start roll- BOXCARS! One King Tiger less...

Later I have surrounded an IS-2 with my infantry something like 3-4 squads and leader- the Russian MPh comes up and Teemu announces th start MP. I roll all possible PF shots I can muster - like 7-8 attempts- and not a single hit. After this is over and we are done laughing at the poor SS grenadiers my brother states - ok, let me think. I did not see him surviving any of that so I got to figure out where he is going with the rest of his MPs.

Checking my records, this was played in May of 1999. I have noted I won, but I have no further recollection how that came to be...

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You get FFMO and FFNAM on the CH resolution as well. It was a 3MC. That is an extraordinarily lucky 548.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking take the Stg III and bypass sleaze the Russian 8–1 stack, cancel the fires lane and charge forward, desperate measures. Thanks for the cool report.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking take the Stg III and bypass sleaze the Russian 8–1 stack, cancel the fires lane and charge forward, desperate measures. Thanks for the cool report.
The StuG was immobilized.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
I wouldn't be giving the guy who writes your jokes a raise anytime soon.🙃