On The Table:

PanzerElite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Northern Knights game reports for the week of Oct 4-12:

I spent the first few days prior to V-Con playing Vae Victis "Semper Victor" with Terence Co. It is a 2-player game about the Roman Empire 305-350 AD. It uses a system similar to Joe Miranda's "The Ottomans", in that it uses strategem chits, but this is a legitimate 2-player game, rather than requiring 4 players to get the full flavor of the system. One can only retain up to 5 strategem chits, and must return any chits only playable by one's opponent by the end of each turn. Built into the system is the balancing effects of controlling Non-Roman forces that enter the areas controlled by ones' opponent, as well as using one's "Usurper" leader to sway unaccompanied troops onto your side.

The thing that has really stuck me about the system is how well it penalizes a player for moving out of one's own area (or diocese), as if one is outside the home diocese one cannot get replacements. As most combat movement phases have 3 turns each, excursions are either short distance or when more ambitious suffer a penalty. Each game I have played has been very evenly balanced and reminds me of Brittania crossed with "The Ottomans"; a historical lesson as much as a chaotic backstabbing contest with the last man standing claiming victory.

V-Con Oct 8-10

This was my first experience at a convention of any sort, and was apparently the first time historical boardgaming has appeared at V-Con...I found out why that might be

I had a tough time at the con mainly because there was a lot of goofballs, who were remarkably successful at luring some of my group to play silly animal games (block leader...basically a silly version of "Squad Leader"). Once we got through the first day, I managed some gameplay with "Semper Victor" which I have outlined a few impressions above.

Day 2: This was more like it. We met a few old time hex gamers who marveled at our 2 table diplay of old AH titles as well as newer games: Six Angles "Kharkov 1941-43", Games Journal #1 " G-Barbarossa", Across 5 Aprils' "Pea Ridge", and VV "Semper Victor". we look forward to gaming with these guys in the future, as I have already spoken to Brant and Gary who will likely join us for gaming next week.

I got totally slaughtered..twice!, as the Rebels in the A5A scenario "Pea Ridge". I tried to hold the center of the map and push hard to take the north, but problems in the south kept sucking my resources dry. By the end of the game, I was thinking this was a lot like WW2 Eastern Front, as I ended up fighting on 2 fronts and this became my demise.

On Oct 12th: Terence and I finally got down to playing Games Journal #1 "G-Barbarossa". This game is fairly easy play, with very SPI like rules. Move-Combat- mechanized move, being the basic game mechanic... The things that set this game apart was the anti-armour ZOCs which are only present when units are within the command radius of their leader, and Hitler's orders; which if not followed and achieved result in cumulative penalties for the German player as the game develops.

There is also they severe movement problems the German player has from turns 7-9 (snow)...making it necessary for the Germans to make hay in the first 6 turns, and then try to hold onto cities captured while the huge threat of Soviet Far East Corps descend with both quickness and intensity... Of Course, Hitler's orders mess up all the best German plans as they must decide to try something innovative and take the penalty or stop the bleeding by gaining some of the objectives Hitler is calling for...

I plan on playing this one several more times before moving on to something new. I made a critical error in not taking Odessa early on which allowed the Russians to reinforce there..This is critical, as the capture of Odessa releases Romanian troops to the Axis cause. I also feel I have a long way to go in using air interdiction to slow the advance of Russian units via rail movement. I have really enjoyed my first look at this game, and am already doing a bit of solitaire in preparation for a rematch vs.Terence on Sunday (I'll get those filthy Russians yet!)

PanzerElite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have taken a week off gaming to recharge my batteries...but am ready to go again at GJ#1 G-Barbarossa with Terence Co on Saturday afternoon (12 Noon start time). Terence has, in the meantime, in communication with Ginichiro Suzuki, clarified several rules and most importantly the victory conditions. I believe we have the game (or rather the english translation) debugged now, so it should be clear sailing ahead.

I have done the old cut n' paste and assembled counters for Joe Miranda's "Greenline Chechnya", and that game should see some action soon. Also coming down the pike for our group will be: S&T "Chad-Toyota Wars", ATO #8 "Fortress Berlin", Vae Victis "Austerlitz", Korea 2000? with some sort of latest expansion (maybe Terence can give us the exact title).

As we have been playing plenty of magazine games recently, Terence has put out the suggestion that we try some of the boxed games we have been accumulating. Needlesss to say, there is much interest in trying thses titles: Deluxe Trajan, Downtown, 7 Days of 1809, The Sun Never Sets, L2 The Russian Campaign 4th Ed.

Y'all can expect us to resume our deluge of AAR's again, as we refire our engines!!

PanzerElite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GAMEDAY, Oct 23: Terence Co and I had our 2nd playthrough with GJ #1 "G-Barbarossa", giving my Germans a chance to redeem themselves... I started off with a solid strategy of taking Odessa as soon as possible, in order tom bring the Romanians into the fray; but once again that meddlesome Corporal screwed me around.

On the second turn, Hitler's orders dictated that I capture Smolensk, which as footy fans would say "that's a bit optimistic"... I was a good distance away, and basically had no chance in hell of accomplishing my task...goodbye 5 VP's. Turn's 3's orders were to isolate Leningrad and drive south (take either Kursk or Kharkov), which essentially meant another 10 VP's bite the dust (2 orders unaccomplished). This threw German plans into the blender, as I needed to now launch an all out assault on Russian commanders in order to regain some victory points. It was either that or game over, as the game ends if the German side drops into negative VP's (zero is OK , apparently).

Needless to say I had poor luck, even with air support from the Luftwaffe. I could not manage 5 more VP's in order to keep the game going. I had taken 5 or 6 cities, which would be counted as 5 VP's each at the end of the game; but this was not what was required to continue. Once again the Germans bit the dust, even though "on paper" they were making progress into Russian territory.

I revise my plan for success with the German side to this: 1. Take Leningrad, as this will for sure come up by turn 3... It seems critical to continue the game that one must avoid the VP loss for at least 1 of Hitler's orders. 2. Drive straight for Kursk/Kharkov, as it seems this is the next most likely stumbling block 3. Root out and eliminate as many 1-3 strength commanders ASAP, as the German player gets 1 VP for every command strength point. This also mightily screws up the anti-armour ZOCs for the Russians and it is much easier to break through the Russian lines. I a really hoping that Terence is charitable to give me another chance with this game, as I've had a lot of fun; even though I've yet to have a glimmer of hope as the German side. Stay tuned on this one!!

The next game up for playing goes on Friday night, as we make our first attempt to play S&T's "Chad- Toyota Wars" I have already punched the game, and Terence set it up "ready to play" after our Barbarossa game ended a little earlier than we anticipated. It looks heavy on the gov't management side , as the player must manage the GNP of the country as it is connected to troop deployments and foreign aid...pretty snazzy design, I think.

After this, we are preparing for, "The Sun Never Sets", "GMT's "Saratoga", Pac-Rim's "Korea 1995", AVP's "MacArthur's Return"...just to name a few. As always, game selection often comes down to the whim of the evening...

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
For a look at the supersized Downtown game, check out Consimworld. go to the Boardgaming/Individual or series games/Contemporary/Downtown folder. You'll see some of my friends going at it last week and catch a good glimpse of what supersizing a board game can do for adding enjoyment to your next session. Warning: it is expensive to supersize the map and you'll need permission to do so. My friend made sure he got permission GMT.

PanzerElite

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Should I continue to post my AAR's here at ACG? (are you guys digging it?)...I am not even sure anyone but Tom Defranco and myself are frequenting this folder.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
PanzerElite said:
Should I continue to post my AAR's here at ACG? (are you guys digging it?)...I am not even sure anyone but Tom Defranco and myself are frequenting this folder.
I think this thread is a good idea.

dgfred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzerblitz/PanzerLeader is always on my table :D . I still play
by e-mail, although it takes a very long time to finish. Much
fun! We sometimes play mega-games with several players on each
side with and umpire. ;) . Please PM me if anyone is interested,
we are always looking for reliable new players.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Our playtest of the upcoming South Mountain by MMP will be on our tables today. So far (9:45 am was the last played turn) some desultory arty fire has taken out a couple of Union guns and routed one Confederate battery. We expect some infantry fighting today.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing CWBS Gaines Mill, Guilford from GMT American Revolutionary Series, and Great Battles of Alexander (solo).

Keith

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
On Saturday the 12th, we continued our playtest of South Mountain. The Federal Kanawha Division of the IX Corps came marching up the road leading up to Fox's Gap. They began to engage Garland's brigade there. In the meantime, Pleasanton's cavalry was sitting on the National Road without moving up the road to the crossroads that I'd like them to guard. Attempt after attempt to get Pleasanton to move failed, until he became a loose cannon, he then had orders (courtesy of the Confederate players) to fall back to the town of Bolivar. Random events hurt the Confederates when, first Colquitt and then Garland had brigade order stoppage results. This was a double edged sword for Garland, as it probably saved his brigade, but forced him to relinquish the important area around Fox's Gap. Also, Colquitt had recovered nicely from his brigade order stoppage when D.H. Hill saw them leaving their positions and ordered them back quick. As we left off (to be continued on Sat 2/26) at 12:15pm, Union reinforcements (which were delayed by way of random event) had just arrived on the field and are headed to reinforce those elements of IX Corps already on the scene. Looking forward to a donnybrook.

PS Keith, to answer you on another thread, I like the LA Tigers, from the two times I played. Not sure if that's enough for a solid recommendation.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom, I am ordering LOUISIANA TIGERS .

On the table

Aspern-Essling (NBS), Gaines Mill(CWB) and A Fearful Slaughter(RSS).

Keith

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
sgtono said:
Tom, I am ordering LOUISIANA TIGERS .

On the table

Aspern-Essling (NBS), Gaines Mill(CWB) and A Fearful Slaughter(RSS).

Keith
I enjoyed A-E, but haven't played it since I playtested it back in 1998. Gaines Mill is a blast as part of the Seven Days (but I even had fun with Mechanicsville). A Fearful Slaughter is a great game, it is sometimes frustrating as the Confederate (the only side I'd played, yet) coming to grips with the sleeping Union troops because of Beauregard's initial deployment. (How's this for namedropping, my first playtest of AFS was with Dave Powell, Butch Schorzman, Dave Frederichs and Dan Cicero at Dave Powell's place). Keep in mind the new rule for AFS and probably down the road, in which you have to roll to get out of an EZOC. It could get messy, especially since you've got units rated A - F on both sides!

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
On the table tomorrow, the continuation of the South Mountain playtest. Both sides have reinforcements entering the map with the Federal reinforcements heading to the elements of the IX Corps already on the map. IX Corps is already in complete possession of Fox's Gap. I'm waiting for even more reinforcements to deny him my right flank as I punch away at his right and center.

Last time Random events figure big, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

dgfred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PanzerElite said:
Yes please ;) :D . Me digging :laugh: .

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Since my last post in this thread, we have continued the playtest of the "South Mountain" game designed by Dave Powell on 3/5 and 3/19. The 1 Div/IX Corps and the Kanawha Div/IX Corps attacked Garland's and Colquitt's brigades after securing Fox's Gap. The results were two wrecked Union divisions and two wrecked Confederate brigades. The attack, as initially conceived, cannot be sustained. However, IX Corps has more reinforcements coming up ther road, and will be there to support the attack (support, hell, they'll probably be the only guys going in). This will mean fresh troops against beat up defenders (but with a decent gun line). Stay tuned for my next installment, soon.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
The playtest of South Mountain went on without me last week. Both Colquitt's and Garland's brigades are wrecked as are the k-9 division and 1-9 division of IX Corps. Other elements of IX Corps are following up on their attacks (IX Corps has just failed their attack orders, and will have to renew those orders to make it to Turner's Gap). I Corps has made it onto the map and threatens the Confederate left. We should continue in a week or two.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I expext to finish off the first playtest of "South Mountain" of the Gamers/MMP for their CWB/CWR system. I had to miss the most recent playtest session because of illness. Many Federal reinforcements have entered the map. They need to burst through the Confederate lines to to Turner's Gap. Control of Turner's Gap is what stands between the Federals and victory.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
The continuing saga of the South Mountain playtest (The Gamers' new Regimental Sub-Series game) finally ended last Saturday with a probable Union marginal victory. We played through 36 of 45 moves and came to this conclusion based on wrecked Confederate brigades vs. those of the North. The North also controlled Fox's Gap. Third Division of Union I Corps went on a flanking mission around the Confederate left and were met by Longstreet with Hood's Division, thus neutralizing the northern area of the map. Garland's Colquitt's and Evans' brigades were wrecked(Evans to the point that he might have given up Turner's Gap.) The fabled Iron Brigade had problems following orders to support the rest of 1-1 division in its annhilation of Evans Brigade, as did Rodman's 2-9 division with a left support of actions in IX Corps sector of the field. If I had managed to wreck Evans brigade and capture Turner's Gap It is quite possible that the result would have been a Federal minor victory.

Ken Feldman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently reading "This Terrible Sound" by Cozzens which covers the ACW battle of Chickamauga so I have the Gamers Civil War Brigade Series game on the subject, Barren Victory, on the table.

I just got some new folding tables that will handle larger games, so River of Death, the Great Battles of the ACW game on the battle will probably up next. I may take a short break from the ACW by playing a few scenarios from the new ATS releases covering action on Iwo Jima and Okinawa first though.

Ken