On the Table: SM 11 Ridgways Mission

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is my set up as the Americans. The VC is pretty straight forward and pretty much boils down to the Germans wiping the Americans off the map. The American group that sets up on map NE will need to set up as far back as they can IE 5 hexes away from Ne U14. This is to try and deny the Germans from wiping out those forward units to quickly. Then boarding the Se and Ne map are more Americans that can swoop in on turn three to further deny the Germans their turn 9 auto VC (wipe all American on map NE by turn 9 and win) Of course the Americans will need to keep guys on map Se (wipe out the American on map Se and win immediately) So basically wipe out the Americans will be the German order of the day, that last VC stipulation is a suckers bet just because the German armor is so brittle that it can become easy CVP's for the Americans to gain (The side amassing twice as many CVP's wins) not a winning VC in this one.

If I was the Germans I would just go for total annihilation of the American OB. And to be honest, I really do not see this one going the full 18 turns, I think either one side will be wiped out or the other side take too many losses, especially if they are careless with their armor.

As can be seen in the pics, I have clumped my units around key VC buildings on map Se, with my ATG in the northern group sitting right there astride the Se road. Cant use HIP for it nor get emplaced but it will keep the German armor off the road..... maybe. Below are more pics:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is also an interesting looking scenario. Keep us updated on the progress!

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi all-

Bob came by and we play to the start of American turn 3 with the German reinforcements making thier appearance. The Southern group of Germans did take the two objective hexes near their set up area but have lost an R35 and a Marder, one to a Baz attack, the other too my ATG (you can see the concealed ATG in the building with a labor on it, was trying to reposition it). Before Bob left we did discuses the nuances and tactics of this scenario, it is like the others we have played alot of fun but we both feel the best way for the Germans to win maybe is to capture the Church on the Se map. That might be the way to go.

We skipped the cow rules and just left them off the map, too much rules to really make it worth while using. Very much unnecessary chrome. Other things we noticed, no slopes, that was kinda surprising, No two squad self rally on such a large playing area and no two snipers for a large playing area also. Still all in all we are having fun, kinda reminds me of those days playing CH All American series and point du hoc. anyway, here are some pics:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy all-

Arthritis in the knee acting up, so hense the weird hours I am up. Anyway, Bob did roll by last night and we managed to get to American turn 7 before calling it a night. The Germans are having some issues on the Sa map as their 2nd liners and conscripts are faltering in ejecting the Americans from st Marie Eglise. On the Ne map, the Germans have just about annihilated my small up front group, the German armor was able to get around them and prevent this group from withdrawing further afield. But the Germans probably wont be able to achieve the turn 9 VC, this is probably due to having to clear out the small force and the bocage terrain is a real time sink to deal with. So far casualties for the Americans are 13cvp vs 9 german cvps. The lost German armor does not count as cvp for the Americans unfortunately.

We both really like this scenario, and would probably require another playing since this first go around is basically just trying to grok the damn thing. below are some pics of the battle:

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, this was a rarity; had a game with Rich monday afternoon then another game on monday evening with Bob to continue are playing of SM 11. My guys on the Se map around the Church area are now trying to counter attack to retake the two VC buildings initially taken by the Germans at the beginning of the game. Bob is desperately trying to shoreup the defense around those two buildings as a strong force of high firepower paratroopers are moving forward and crushing anything in their way.

On the otherhand the Ne map group is having serious issues as the Germans might have a possible chance to wipe out the whole lot of Americans on turn 9 and win. So it will be touch and go on turn 9. Here are a few pic of the game:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scotty played a double header on Monday. Fun scenario. Seems like a throw back to an bygone era of scenario design with classics like Action at Balderkamp and Hill 621. Lots of movement and grand strategy. Heading into American turn 9 Scotty finally realized how weak and brittle the Germans are attacking into St Mere Eglise actually are. He is suspecting he can counter attack and take those 2 outlying farm buildings that are the first part of the German VPs. Plus rack up some CVPs in the process. I'm suspecting the best German strategy are just massive and wide enveloping movements with the turn one forces to surround Mere-Eglise and then eventually attack from all four sides at once around turn 10 or so when the larger force entering from the opposite side can reach the town.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Bob and I did finish this one up with my Americans retaking the two mandatory VC buildings on map Se on turn 14. The Germans came within a hairs breadth of winning on turn 9 but an intensive fire shot from my 57 took a tank out trying to reach a couple of American squads on the Ne map as well as a failed ambush on the edge of the Ne/ Se map which allowed me to get back on the Ne map on my turn 9.

The weakend Se map germans just could not hold off the American counter attack that ended up retaking the two VC buildings. With only four turns left and two turns being night and no real chance to retake the two VC buildings, the Germans gave up.

Bob had alot of fun and I can see that with the Germans , lots of movement and digging out the Americans. On the other hand, I thought the scenario was ok for the Americans, you basically sit in place for 9 turns and watch the Germans smash your guys to pieces. Then watch a conga line of Germans moving down the Ne center map road the rest of the game.

I personally think the scenario might be tough on the Germans, the Se map forces consisting of conscripts and 2nd line troops might not be able to take the two frontal buildings if the Americans have a very determined defense, peeling off the American 9-2 with MG's and a few squads from the map Ne forces will really help in smashing the Germans on map Se. Putting ATG near the VC buildings (not in them) with LoS to
to the open area to the German AfV's can be helpful, after all, those AFV need to put smoke out and be in LoS of the two VC buildings so as to help the german advance. I do not think I have seen any wins thus far with attacking forces in these scenarios. The defender seems to be very strong thus far. We will probably try it again later on.

Scott

Last edited:

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

What company made this scenario? Is Ridgeway the same Ridgeway from Korea?

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
I really want to say it Jazz but I will be nice. MMP makes this scenario it is from Drop Zone St Marie Eglise module.
Wow that a really cool map. I've been to St Marie Eglise I should have recognized it. lol