On All Fronts

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have several copies of the old SL/ASL gaming magazine On All Fronts but I'm missing a copy of Issue #64/March 1988.

Does anyone have a copy of this laying around that I might get them to scan for me? If you own it you know it's only 12 pages.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Good Hunting.

MR

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The scan will probably look better than the original. Graphics on a dot matrix printer, now that was something.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was functional at the time. Plus, the scenarios were generally of high quality.

Good Hunting.

MR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have several copies of the old SL/ASL gaming magazine On All Fronts but I'm missing a copy of Issue #64/March 1988.

Does anyone have a copy of this laying around that I might get them to scan for me? If you own it you know it's only 12 pages.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Good Hunting.

MR
Email me here or PM me on FB to remind me and I'll see if it is one of the issues in my collection.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well with the regular OAF issues and the Walker Files and those Play Tester Journals you never know if Treadway was Walker or not. But I do recall that OAF 'issues' came out before Fortenberry's ASLUG issues and then after Gary got hired on by AH then we started to see CH and HOB came out at the same time as well.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Email me here or PM me on FB to remind me and I'll see if it is one of the issues in my collection.
If I can get the pdf with all of them in it I'd prefer to go that route.

If not I'll be sure to contact you. Thanks for the offer.

Good Hunting.

MR

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really? and what evedence do you have to back this up oh great and powerful Pitman?

Were you playing ASL back in 85 to 94? the Happy times.

Scott
I was an OAF subscriber for a long time. If there was much play testing going on by Treadaway I would be surprised. I tried numerous scenarios, but after playing dog after dog I got the picture. You could tell just by looking at some that they were just ideas put onto paper and never really sampled.

Although, one of the best periods of my ASL life was expanding and coloring the Central Railway Station map and playing on it. Great times! Never been so excited to hear that Tom and Don were expanding it to VotG.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We didn't play them all. Far from it. We played only a select few. Those that we played usually went down to the wire.

They had a group of unplaytested scenarios that you could get by subscription, which I never understood since I had plenty of my own scenarios I was working on at the time that were unplaytested.

It's much the same with The General. I have every copy ever printed. I didn't play every single scenario or variant published in The General either. Just not enough time.

Playbalance is very hard to achieve. You have 3 forces in motion during the play through of a game. The designers skill level, the gamers skill level and luck. It's hard to get the 3 of them to come together all the time for every single scenario you make.

Good Hunting.

MR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the scenarios handed in by Bill Sisler and jeff Cabula were playtested from what I recall.

I was an OAF subscriber for a long time. If there was much play testing going on by Treadaway I would be surprised. I tried numerous scenarios, but after playing dog after dog I got the picture. You could tell just by looking at some that they were just ideas put onto paper and never really sampled.

Although, one of the best periods of my ASL life was expanding and coloring the Central Railway Station map and playing on it. Great times! Never been so excited to hear that Tom and Don were expanding it to VotG.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Tom Morrin and some of the bunker staff worked on other scenarios at one time or the other. I enjoyed some of the earlier ones but as note, the quality dropped way off later but that is another story.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always liked the scenario "Death Knell of the Panzers."

Played it as the German more than I did the Russian, but always seemed to enjoy playing that one.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the scenarios handed in by Bill Sisler and jeff Cabula were playtested from what I recall.
Playtested by Sisler, or by OAF?

I wasn't a subscriber, but of the couple dozen scenarios in the collection of one of my former opponents, at least one was so horked up it was impossible to even set it up. Whether that was due to lack of playtesting or poor typesetting I can't say.

John

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well<comma> with the regular <OAF > issues<comma> <xxx> the Walker Files and those <Play Tester Journals> <comma> you never kn<e>w if Tread<a>way was Walker or not. But<comma> I do recall that <OAF > 'issues' came out before Fortenberry's <ASLUG > issues and then<comma> after Gary got hired <xx> by AH<comma> <xxxx>we started to see< CH ><!> and HOB c<o>me out at the same time<comma> as well.