On All Fronts

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From a quick look at the scenario, it does appear to be rather messed up, despite having no less than seven playtesters credited. Specifically:

* The scenario only uses boards 7 and 34, but the Marines set up on any whole hex of Board 2.

* VC involve evacuating Good Order Marine squads as per SSR #6, but SSR #6 only talks about NOBA support.

* SSR #1 states that hexrows south of row 5 on board 7 are not in play, which means that the Marines cannot win, because the beach hexes that they would have to evacuate from are not in play.

* SSR #5 is missing.

Not OAF's finest moment... :crosseye:

If I was going to try to play it, I would make the following adjustments/guesses:

* Marines set up on Board 34.

* Good Order Marine squads evacuate as per SSR #4.

* Hexes numbered greater than 5 on board 7 are not in play.

That should at least make the scenario playable... although the "all buildings are jungle" SSR might be troublesome. There was no errata published in the following issue, #106, which was my last issue.
You forget to mention: "Original design by Bill Wilder."

And I'm not trying to be funny, that's what my copy says.

The other names I don't recognize with the exception of Ted Bleck, who I think had some designs published in The Wargamer? He's credited as a playtester for the ASL Annual '93b mini HASL of Gavutu-Tanombogo as well.

Last edited:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From a quick look at the scenario, it does appear to be rather messed up, despite having no less than seven playtesters credited. Specifically:

* The scenario only uses boards 7 and 34, but the Marines set up on any whole hex of Board 2.

* VC involve evacuating Good Order Marine squads as per SSR #6, but SSR #6 only talks about NOBA support.

* SSR #1 states that hexrows south of row 5 on board 7 are not in play, which means that the Marines cannot win, because the beach hexes that they would have to evacuate from are not in play.

* SSR #5 is missing.

Ah, yes. That was indeed the un-legged dog in question. Not even three-legged, not even one-legged... it didn't have a leg to stand on. :p

Thanks very much, Jay, for posting all that!

The scenario looked like it would be a fun/interesting one, as Don says -- which was why we picked it in the first place. But when we actually tried to set it up... hoo boy!

We did make an attempt to guess what the intention was supposed to have been and fix it, but it turned out to have so many issues that we gave it up as a total waste of time, and found something else to play.

Interesting that it was by WBW... but I don't think he deserves all the blame on this one.

John

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Interesting that it was by WBW... but I don't think he deserves all the blame on this one.
Yes, I just thought it interesting as well. Not trying to assign blame. I think the scenario in question is an ASL conversion of one of WBW's original Pacific theatre Squad Leader variants, or at least, that is the subtext I get from reading the scenario card. Anyone can draw whatever conclusions from that they will.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since I'm only addicted by CG or monster scenario, I'm still looking to have Across the Ambleve. I just found the CLAG's site who's speaking about it.
I have it in a poor quality hard-copy (paper copy someone sent to me). It is only to the GI:AoV rules for OoB and play. Not converted to ASL level or rules or OoB (counters).

Starlancer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I have it in a poor quality hard-copy (paper copy someone sent to me). It is only to the GI:AoV rules for OoB and play. Not converted to ASL level or rules or OoB (counters).
That's a bad news for me but many thanks for the info and the link Kevin.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
My scenario does not indicate this, it says: 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment set up on any whole hex of board 34 [ELR: 4] {SAN: 3}, so no confusion here.

VICTORY CONDITIONS: The American player must evacuate (SSR #6) >= 12 points of Good Order Infantry on/after turn 5.

This is in error, it' should say: evacuate (SSR #4)

SSR #4 On/after turn 5 at the end of the CCPh, any Good Order U.S. unit in a shore hex within the Evacuation Zone may evacuate. Evacuated units are removed from the board.

I also think this is an error it should say hexrows north of 5 on board 7 are not in play.

* SSR #5 is missing.
I don't have the full issue here at work (on the 285 page PDF with just the scenarios) and it says see page 7. I am thinking SSR #5 is the Evacuation Zone rules, which must be either the shore hexes or a subset of them.

No they had worse. Here is a screen shot of the VASAL map, note I took some liberty with the huts/buildings and made them palm trees and removed the islands.

Okay, can't upload a file for some stupid reason.

EDIT try this:

Last edited:

richfam

Reaction score
My scenario does not indicate this, it says: 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment set up on any whole hex of board 34 [ELR: 4] {SAN: 3}, so no confusion here.
You must have a later, corrected version of some sort. The copy of OAF #105 that I received as a subscriber says specifically:

"1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment set up on any whole hex of board 2 [ELR: 4] {SAN: 3}"

Maybe they caught this error as the issue was being printed, so early copies are wrong but later copies are right? If the issue was "printed" on a photocopier, that would be one possible explanation.

The continuation on page 7 contains no SSRs or other rules; it's just the continuation of the introduction and the historical aftermath.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You must have a later, corrected version of some sort. The copy of OAF #105 that I received as a subscriber says specifically:

"1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment set up on any whole hex of board 2 [ELR: 4] {SAN: 3}"
Was it re-published in a CH OAF pack and that is what he is using?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Maybe they caught this error as the issue was being printed, so early copies are wrong but later copies are right? If the issue was "printed" on a photocopier, that would be one possible explanation.

The continuation on page 7 contains no SSRs or other rules; it's just the continuation of the introduction and the historical aftermath.
Mine says board 34. I got a sub almost at the end (around 118 or so) and bought all the old stuff at once.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
BTW anyone interested can email me privately, I cut out all the ASL scenarios and renamed them and organized them by issue (like OAF 158 (#123) which would be OAF scenario 158 from issue 123, etc.).

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW anyone interested can email me privately, I cut out all the ASL scenarios and renamed them and organized them by issue (like OAF 158 (#123) which would be OAF scenario 158 from issue 123, etc.).
I wish to publicily THANK Don for his tireless work and sharing with the ASL World.....

Thanks Don.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just thinking (yeah, I know I'm hurting myself),

I have the SE#2 Road to Ambleve River. I will see what I can do to get it available for other (it is the SL version of play)......

dundas61

Reaction score
Country
ll
I got the whole lot on PDFs
Hi there,
Can I ask if anyone has a copy of those "On All Fronts" PDFs please that they'd be happy to sell?
Many thanks.

Last edited: