Oliver Stoned Strikes Again

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oliver Stone is now claiming that the reason Alexander failed was because of U.S. anti-gay bias and also because of "similarities" between Alexander and George W. Bush. When is this goofball going to admit that he just made a crappy movie. The cinematography and acting was great, all he needed to do was tone down the soap. Irregardless of which gender he was prancing around with, the prolonged soap opera segments were boring and the plot stalled. He advertised a war movie and gave a soap opera. Word got out fast and people lost interest. I maintain that if Oliver Stone had focused on Alexander's military campaign and kept the story moving, the movie would have scored big.

Patrocles

Reaction score
pirateship1982 said:
Oliver Stone is now claiming that the reason Alexander failed was because of U.S. anti-gay bias and also because of "similarities" between Alexander and George W. Bush. When is this goofball going to admit that he just made a crappy movie. The cinematography and acting was great, all he needed to do was tone down the soap. Irregardless of which gender he was prancing around with, the prolonged soap opera segments were boring and the plot stalled. He advertised a war movie and gave a soap opera. Word got out fast and people lost interest. I maintain that if Oliver Stone had focused on Alexander's military campaign and kept the story moving, the movie would have scored big.
oliver stoned! ha ha never that one before!

i thought i read that the reviews were pretty scathing about lack of depth, lack of character development, rewriting history to make is unintelligible. I might watch "Alexander the Lame" only if it is in my public library

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All one needs to do is sit through his completely contrived and wholly unbelievable rendition of "JFK". I think quite a few Bush Conspiracy theorists here would love it.

Oliver Stone has NEVER made a movie worthy of my 5$ Matinee ticket price.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
All one needs to do is sit through his completely contrived and wholly unbelievable rendition of "JFK". I think quite a few Bush Conspiracy theorists here would love it.

Oliver Stone has NEVER made a movie worthy of my 5$ Matinee ticket price.
The Doors was awesome.
What I saw of Natural Born Killers was good.
Platoon is usally considered a pretty good movie.
Never saw Wall Street but a lot of people liked it.

As writer there's always Scarface to his credit.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no question Oliver Stone is capable of making very well done movies...the problem arises when they are purported to be valid historical representations.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
The Doors was awesome.
What I saw of Natural Born Killers was good.
Platoon is usally considered a pretty good movie.
Never saw Wall Street but a lot of people liked it.

As writer there's always Scarface to his credit.
I never said I wouldn't rent one of his movies for $3.49 from Hollywood Video! ;)

I will not, however, own any movie he's written or directed.:p

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
I never said I wouldn't rent one of his movies for $3.49 from Hollywood Video! ;)

I will not, however, own any movie he's written or directed.:p
:laugh: Fair enough. I can't say I'm really a fan of his, but he's got some ups here and there.

I'd go with the Doc he's a capable movie maker... just doesn't make what he should!:p

Marines

Reaction score
The man is a coke head! My uncle worked with him on JFK during filming here in Dallas. He told me that Stone was constantly in a state of paranoia afraid that DEA agents were out to get him.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
The man is a coke head! My uncle worked with him on JFK during filming here in Dallas. He told me that Stone was constantly in a state of paranoia afraid that DEA agents were out to get him.
It could just be Dallas...Ross Perot was always afraid the CIA was out to get him!

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pirateship1982 said:
1. I am not American.
2. I am straight but have no anti-gay bias. I spend part of my vacation every year with a gay couple. They are great guys and good friends.
3. Alexander still sucked.

Last edited:

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't see Alexander (for the reasons named above) but for some reason I thought of Gods and Generals. The movie didn't do so good, but I don't blame that on the fact that people thought the movie wasn't PC-enough (which means that it just accurately portrayed the real history, but thats another story). I blame its poor performance at the box office on its length and the fact that it did drag in many places. Maybe thats why it did very good (it sold out in many places the first day)in VHS and DVD sales!

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

i like O. Stone mooves most of the time. I think he is a genius technician of movies. but sometimes I am disappointed...
on his comments quoted here. well if trus, so what? was commercial success his objective? if so well too bad...

JSMoss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guess he just can't admit to himself it was a just a bad movie. Folks will go to extremes to avoid admitting their own failings.

Rabbi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes Oliver Stone made some great movies a few decades ago (Platoon, Born on the fourth of July) but for the most part his talent has turned to Sh&*.

I would venture the main reason Alexander failed was not word of mouth (though that was a factor) but that it was released so soon after Troy. The market was saturated with ancient battles and the people became burned out.

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder when Hollywood will realize that people don't want to see a historical soap opera, they want to see men in skirts beating the cr*p out of each other with pointy sticks!

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Woohoo! Skirts and pointy sticks! Oh wait.. you said men in skirts... well, 1 out of 2 is good enough to rent. Pointy sticks being the one thank you very much.

We almost gave up on King Arthur because it dragged so much in the beginning. Troy and Alex can wait until they hit the rentals. I just don't like history being stuck in a blender with love, sex, betrayal, and everything that sells from Hollywood and pureed together. For me, history can stand on it's own without love triangles and such. Next thing you know they'll be a John Smith movie with romance... or a Scots versus English with... hmmm... Caesar... Mark Anthony... King Arthur... fuedal Japan... oh forget it... leave it to Hollywood to ruin history. :mad: :D

Wait, they have't ruined Herman the German or Charlemagne yet... have they?

Last edited:

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
chrisvalla said:
Woohoo! Skirts and pointy sticks! Oh wait.. you said men in skirts... well, 1 out of 2 is good enough to rent. Pointy sticks being the one thank you very much.

We almost gave up on King Arthur because it dragged so much in the beginning. Troy and Alex can wait until they hit the rentals. I just don't like history being stuck in a blender with love, sex, betrayal, and everything that sells from Hollywood and pureed together. For me, history can stand on it's own without love triangles and such. Next thing you know they'll be a John Smith movie with romance... or a Scots versus English with... hmmm... Caesar... Mark Anthony... King Arthur... fuedal Japan... oh forget it... leave it to Hollywood to ruin history. :mad: :D

Wait, they have't ruined Herman the German or Charlemagne yet... have they?
Well the thing about Troy is that THAT was the original story, about love and betrayal, etc., as well as the war. So I rented it realizing that and was pleasantly suprprised how they incorporate that stuff into the story, which most certainly is still a war story. Alexander, on the other hand, should have been exclusively about the great conquests. I didn't see not so much because of bad reviews (I don't agree with the critics most of the time) but because of what I heard of the story. Although I know I'll have to at least rent it when it comes out.