Old Panzerblitz with 2.0v rules

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Has anyone tried to play the old PB/PL with the v2.0 rules? If so how did you work with the counter values?

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
With v2.0 I meant the ones from HOD of course.
So, I tried it out, AFV are not too much of a trouble, slightly different ratings but still valid. A-type AF still halved. The infantry ratings are rather different, you need to switch AF and DF (and half AF as if A-type). Each platoon is 2 steps, a company 4 steps. The whole chit pull system you need to add and make a judgement call of how much you give to each side, based on the scenario info (or just do a IGU-UGO style like old PB). Same goes for the Efficiency, 5-9 depending on the info you have.

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is too much trouble. The old PB/PL is great for a good game. The PB:HOD is too much a change for me. Nostalgia and ease of play will keep me coming back to the original though I wish the new version all success.

I may relook PB:HOD system once the promised East Front version is published and it generates some good buzz. I will withhold final judegment until then of course.

pugbuddy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is too much trouble. The old PB/PL is great for a good game. The PB:HOD is too much a change for me. Nostalgia and ease of play will keep me coming back to the original though I wish the new version all success.

I may relook PB:HOD system once the promised East Front version is published and it generates some good buzz. I will withhold final judegment until then of course.
Pretty much this. HOD is essentially a new game system and I really like the original one.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have tried using some HOD rules for combat and firing, but using the PL/PB rules for the rest. I.E. no chit pulls, no modification of the terrain movement. It seemed to work really well. I tripled the inf counter values against soft targets, and doubled them for hard targets. I left everything else alone except I made the towns an unarmored rather than an armored target.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I used to be a big PB/PL fan but decided that the combat model, especially armour combat, to be far too ... unsophisticated. SPI produced various attempts to give better mechanisms, reaching a peak with October War. Avalanche Press's Panzer Grenadier series is quite good in that regard, but I will get any PB2 extensions that come out.

Because PB and PB2 start from entirely new and different foundations with regard to mechanisms, I personally would not waste my time trying to combine both.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To each his own! I tried, because PL/PB is a simple game, with good scenarios, and a broken combat system. Fix the combat system, and you have a simple game with simple counters, and a combat system that works well. It is sometimes refreshing to play something with simple rules after playing ASL.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two years ago I consolidated the rules of PB and PL into one rule system. It always drove me nuts trying to remember the nuances between the two games so i decided to do this. Wherever there was a difference I made a decision to use one rule from either PB or PL. I had help from two other long time PB/PL players, one who revamped the whole artillery system which I incorporated. I've played ,any scenarios using them and i like the consolidated system a lot and it stay true to the original two games. You can download the rules from the PB and PL pages on Board Game Geek or on the PB/PL page, or my blog "Blackcloud's Military Analysis Blog" on Consimworld. Look for "Panzer Warrior." There are noes at the end of the rules telling why I made the decisions I did.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two years ago I consolidated the rules of PB and PL into one rule system. It always drove me nuts trying to remember the nuances between the two games so i decided to do this. Wherever there was a difference I made a decision to use one rule from either PB or PL. I had help from two other long time PB/PL players, one who revamped the whole artillery system which I incorporated. I've played ,any scenarios using them and i like the consolidated system a lot and it stay true to the original two games. You can download the rules from the PB and PL pages on Board Game Geek or on the PB/PL page, or my blog "Blackcloud's Military Analysis Blog" on Consimworld. Look for "Panzer Warrior." There are noes at the end of the rules telling why I made the decisions I did.
I'll check it out! I did something similar with PL/PB before HOD came out, but I suspect yours will be more organized and logically thought out.