Old Monkeys with Typewriters content criteria

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have searched the forums but cannot seem to locate any threads (or posts) that list the design criteria for any of these previous contests. I am finding all the general discussions and completed submission threads but nothing that details the specifications that were set for them. I am thinking that maybe this finalized information was sent out in seperate documents to the participants, probably via email. If anyone can point me in the right direction or has a copy laying around that they could send me I would greatly appreciate it.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I can't recall how or who it was, but this link has my scenario and the others with the criteria posted.

http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php?title=QuickFire_Challenge_1

I think both Paul Kenny and Steve Swann did the layouts (two separation ones some place, I think I have them somewhere in digits...who knows...its mess in there...and even I can't figure out my insane data storage-data-archival-crypto-schema at times...locally hard drive I mean....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I recall that the late Bigkayeh compiled the scenario submissions and formatted the cards, IIRC, early on in the life of the contest. As far as the actual design criteria I seem to think they were discussed here.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I found a bunch of attachments in some of the posts earlier but most wouldn't open (I think the forum attachments thing got borked a while back for older posts).

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ugh, looks like the links in that document are all junk now, too. The pdfs on the scenario archive do give a brief overview of the contest and criteria though.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
well I was involved with MWT 4, 5, & 6 and here is what I have for #5:

OK, here we go again.
The battle is as describes in post #1.(Battle of Ilomantsi)
Based on any date of the battle.
Two categories ...
1. Anything goes, provided it is historically accurate.
2. Special: all infantry three player scenario.
Use any historical source available, just be ready to justify the source if challenged.
Scenario submission date is March 1 2016. ( extra time due to thanksgiving and Christmas.)

Have fun!

Steve Swann

When it was all said and done I was the only submitter! I passed it over to LFT. My submission for MWT #4 was tweaked and printed in one of the ESG packs and my submission for #6 never made it in for judging due to new email glitch (argh!).

my memory of the process is:

1. Somebody posts they want another MWT.
2. everyone banters on about what it will be but eventually a particular battle, book chapter, monograph, etc is chose and that is the base source.
3. Somebody becomes the organizer and gets judges together (usually person in #1).
4. Designers are given parameters (see above) and due date.
5. Designers submitted their scenario card info as a text-based Word file and Steve had somebody turn them into a scenario card for judging. a copy of new card sent to designer to make sure all was correct else edits made.
6. the judges after playtesting gave a summary of each and designs were ranked in order from #1 down through however many entries were provided.

it seems to me the more these were done, the number of participants drops off and the winners no longer wanted to post their creations but submit them for publication so the community waited months but never got to see what was made. There was an interesting one done with making a overlay for Boards 10 and 17 that were eventually published by MMP (but lots of wining from usual forum members so experiment will never be redone).

so the person making the request usually makes the rules! Hope that helps.

Vinny

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
well I was involved with MWT 4, 5, & 6 and here is what I have for #5:

OK, here we go again.
The battle is as describes in post #1.(Battle of Ilomantsi)
Based on any date of the battle.
Two categories ...
1. Anything goes, provided it is historically accurate.
2. Special: all infantry three player scenario.
Use any historical source available, just be ready to justify the source if challenged.
Scenario submission date is March 1 2016. ( extra time due to thanksgiving and Christmas.)

Have fun!

Steve Swann

When it was all said and done I was the only submitter! I passed it over to LFT. My submission for MWT #4 was tweaked and printed in one of the ESG packs and my submission for #6 never made it in for judging due to new email glitch (argh!).

my memory of the process is:

1. Somebody posts they want another MWT.
2. everyone banters on about what it will be but eventually a particular battle, book chapter, monograph, etc is chose and that is the base source.
3. Somebody becomes the organizer and gets judges together (usually person in #1).
4. Designers are given parameters (see above) and due date.
5. Designers submitted their scenario card info as a text-based Word file and Steve had somebody turn them into a scenario card for judging. a copy of new card sent to designer to make sure all was correct else edits made.
6. the judges after playtesting gave a summary of each and designs were ranked in order from #1 down through however many entries were provided.

it seems to me the more these were done, the number of participants drops off and the winners no longer wanted to post their creations but submit them for publication so the community waited months but never got to see what was made. There was an interesting one done with making a overlay for Boards 10 and 17 that were eventually published by MMP (but lots of wining from usual forum members so experiment will never be redone).

so the person making the request usually makes the rules! Hope that helps.

Vinny
I'm not sure if it was "MwT #6" or not, Vinny - but I know it was the 2017 Scenario Design Contest where your submission ran afoul of not being transmitted due to email glitches.

for the 2017 Scenario Design Contest, the rules were delineated and simple when finalized.

1. Your action was limited to those that took place as described in a single reference item, in this case, an identified free to download and read "Center for US Army Military History- History of US Army Operations in World War II" monograph from the provided link.

2. Your action could only span a limited time frame of dates as outlined in the rules.

3. Your submission required both a reference write up where to find the action in the given reference used, and a separate write up on designer notes as to why you modeled the action in ASL the way you did. An entry without those was considered incomplete.

4. You knew going in who the judging panel was comprised of, in this case, a very well respected ASL scenario designer judging blindly from copies with all traces of identification of the author removed from them by the contest director.

5. A time limit, strictly enforced, for submissions to be received by the contest director.

6. A design requirement that all features must be 100 % official (ie MMP or the old TAHGC published only), in your submission.

Those were the rules, and it was a fun experience, and something I'd strongly consider doing again. IIRC, there were a few good scens created, plus Vinny's failed transmission scen which was also interesting.

Those rules transpired to "fix" most of the previously identified concerns of the earlier MwT contests. IMHO, they did a wonderful job of doing just that.

KRL, Jon H

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I found (and participated in) the first QuickFire series, but seen a QuickFire 2 series. Where to download?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I found (and participated in) the first QuickFire series, but seen a QuickFire 2 series. Where to download?
Don - we lost the entire download area and all post photos when GS did it’s major upgrade last year.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Double Deuce, if you want to do another MwT scenario design contest I am interested in participating.
I wish I had the time and organization skills to pull that off. I pretty much found the various created scenarios (thanks to those that sent links in their posts above). I had participated in one a long time ago but had to drop out at the last minute do to family issues, so I was interested in seeing how the criteria changed between the various contests.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Don - we lost the entire download area and all post photos when GS did it’s major upgrade last year.
I was wondering where all the files were, thought they may have banned me from that area lol.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering where all the files were, thought they may have banned me from that area lol.
No not yet give it time! Dr Z has been slowly rebuilding the site and adding/changing functionality. There is a download area somewhere but not structured for ASL and not much in there. Sadly when GS was down for a few months folks moved on to other platforms ( like Facebook) so sadly GS is a bit of a backwater now.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the history update. Personally I won’t touch Facebook with a ten foot pole.

In the old days que Psycho in 3, 2, 1, but he is sleeping the big one I think, poor soul...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the history update. Personally I won’t touch Facebook with a ten foot pole.

In the old days que Psycho in 3, 2, 1, but he is sleeping the big one I think, poor soul...
He's active on Facebook with the rest of us.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So that's why I can't find it. Looked like some interesting scenarios

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States

Yup, he’s on the Facebook ASL sites. No good flamewars there but good pics of daily ASL goings on