Oklahoma City (OKC) Tournament

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,

Many people have asked me to explore the possibility of hosting a tournament in OKC at sometime in the future because of its central location for numerous ASLers residing in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas and Texas.

Has anyone put together a checklist or any other documentation on what needs to be done? Any tournament director after action reports perhaps? Any material or advice is appreciated.

Anything for the cause!

Mike

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Notes from a first timer

Mike,

OK City Tournament? Sounds good! I'll be there unless duty calls...

Things to think about:

1. When to have it. The dates are important as I doubt people will attend more than 6 tournaments a year. With Texas in June, St. Louis in July and KC back in March, those months are out. October is ASLOK that month is out. December is always too full. Hmm looks like you have 7 months to choose from.

2. Hotel. Finding the hotel is key to your budget. The cost of the conference room will comsume 60% - 75% of your budget. If you are in a tourist month (may - Sept.) then the cost will be more. You want to find one the will work with you on the first year for expandable space. Start with room for 10 - 20 people, but could be expanded to 20-30 people or even more. The date you have to make that decision is the date you set for pre-registration. Hotel should be near some places people can eat at, A nice combination of fast food or sit down. If a person can walk you might get more people flying in (you save alot of money if you do not have to rent a car and can just take the hotel shuttle or a taxi).

3. Duration and play. Most start on Friday and end on Sunday. The big ones start on Thursday to get in extra rounds for the higher number of players. 5 rounds can usually handle as may as 40 players. Might need six rounds after that. I perfer open format, however that is because I am not a contender and like to play scearios I have always wanted to try after losing the first one. The pattern now seems to be a playlist for each round. People select from the list for each round. Most tournament do not release the playlist until close to the tournament dates so no one can pre-play the scenarios. I like the St. ouis method to not announce the scenario until play starts. Scenario selection varies based on themes or just good quick scenarios. The first and last can be medimum sized with vehicles, the middle because it usually jammed into Saturday are short and tournament style.

4. Administration. You will need a budget to get started and it includes prizes (usually MMP or a local hobby store will sponsor for gift certificates) however the plaque and any product prizes will have to be budgeted for. Also the down payment on hotel conference room will be required (although they may just take the CC number). Also be careful to resist the temptation to list your address on the internet (unless you have a PO Box number). Most people have a contact by e-mail. Advertize on the internet for 6 months or more in advance if possible. Mine is just two months and I think that did not leave people enough time to plan.

5. Have fun. As TD your job is to let people have fun and enjoy the game. You will have to settle disputes and rules questions. Best to have a partner to help.

These are the thoughts of some who has not completed the first tournament yet. I am sure I will have more to say on March 13.

Dano

da priest

Reaction score
cujo8-1 said:
...Many people have asked me to explore the possibility of hosting a tournament in OKC at sometime in the future because of its central location for numerous ASLers residing in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas and Texas. ...
Any reason ya left out Missoura? :devil:

Always wondered why no 'con in OKC or Tulsa...seems centrally located and near one of the larger ASL bastions...Texico...:laugh:

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's good news. I'll start investigating in earnest...

Thanks for the responses.

Mike

Warman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any more news?

Hey hey,

Anymore news on this possible tourney?

Asking to see if it will fit in to my schedule. :)

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warman said:
Hey hey,

Anymore news on this possible tourney?

Asking to see if it will fit in to my schedule. :)
Nothing new to report Warman. I am looking into venues. Hope to have a progress report sometime next month. I'll have a better feel for timing in about a month.

Thanks for the interest.

Mike