Okay, I'm convinced...

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just bought TacOps 4 a little while ago. I also picked up a copy of the Military Reference CD. Has anyone here used that and is it any good? Sounds like it will come in handy.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I just bought TacOps 4 a little while ago. I also picked up a copy of the Military Reference CD.
Yee haw! Another steak night for the Holdridge family next month. :)

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI. Shortcuts (and some hidden features) that are hard to find or undocumented or often overlooked.

Trust me ... you should print this.

Also, explore right clicking on unit markers and on text lines in every window that you open. You may find many useful surprises. Example: Right clicking on a unit line in the Logistics Report will produce a pop up menu that allows you to (a) open that unit's Unit Orders Window, (b) Resupply the unit without having to leave the Logistics Report, or (c) Find that unit's marker on the map. Similar goodies can be found in the other report types, the air support window, the arty support window, etc.

Best regards, Major H.

- - - - - -

Appendix X - Shortcuts - Windows

F1 Help/Display User Guide.
F2 Change Unit Symbol Size.
F3 Change Unit Symbol Info.
F4 Change Unit Symbol Style.
F5 Turn on/off a map overlay.
F5 + Shift Load a different map overlay.
F6 Turn on/off map place names.
F8 Turn on/off map terrain analysis.
F9 Turn on/off continuous display in the info line of the UTM coordinates of the current cursor location.
F11 Turn on/off automatic map scrolling.
F12 Open the network chat window.
Esc Often closes an open window.
Esc Cancel a pending request for user input.
Esc Unselect all selected unit markers.
Tab Turns on/off the display of descriptive text to the right of unit markers.
Tab + Shift Turns on/off the display of Player Identification Numbers (PINs) to the right of unit markers.
Ctrl + Add One Unit.
Ctrl A Artillery Support.
Ctrl B Begin Combat.
Ctrl C Copy Orders.
Ctrl D Duplicate Units.
Ctrl F Set engagement range.
Ctrl H Hide All Units.
Ctrl L Line of Sight Check.
Alt L Thermal Line of Sight Check.
Ctrl M Show Situation Map.
Ctrl N New Game.
Ctrl P Pause/unpause a network game.
Ctrl Q Quit.
Ctrl R Redraw Map.
Ctrl S Save Game.
Ctrl Shift J Join Unit.
Ctrl Shift L Load Unit.
Ctrl Shift S Split Unit.
Ctrl Shift U Unload Unit.
Ctrl T View Terrain.
Ctrl W Often closes an open window.
Ctrl V Paste Orders.
Ctrl V + Alt Append Orders.
Ctrl X Delete Units.
Ctrl Z Air Support.
Ctrl + click On unit, opens a unit popup menu.
Right click On unit, opens a unit popup menu.
Alt + click On arty target marker, opens Artillery Support Window.
Alt + click on air target marker, opens Air Support Window.

Special Cases when the Unit Orders window is open

U Unload Unit.
L Load Unit.
S Split Unit.
J Join Unit.
X Deletes all unit orders.
- Deletes one unit order.
Shift + click On map, orders a unit to move to a way point in reverse gear.
Double click On unit, closes current unit orders window. Opens new unit orders window.
window.

Special Cases when the Deployment window is open and one or more unit markers are selected.

U Unload all selected units.
L Load all selected units.
S Split all selected units.
J Join all selected units.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
TacOps just arrived a few minutes ago. Great service. Looking forward to installing it later tonight.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
TacOps just arrived a few minutes ago. Great service. Looking forward to installing it later tonight.
What version did you receive? The version string will be in the lower right corner of the game startup window (first window after the splash screen), just over the OK button.

If it is not v405AM then go to the link below and get the appropriate Mac or Windows patch package.

http://www.battlefront.com/downloads.html

By my calculations the distributor should not have any CDs older than v405AM but there is always the chance that the inventory was not freshened properly at some point in the past.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Please, please, please read and do the Basic Training tutorial first. Resist the urge to just jump in.

The tutorial is the fast track to early, low effort play and low to no entry frustration.

Last edited:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the FM reference library CD. It is very good. With the exception that you can't enlarge Acrobat Docs and retain clarity. For the Most part the quality of the source material is pretty good. A few illustrations are grainy but overall if you don't already have them, It's a great buy! Tacops IS easy to pick up but the tutorial will get you off to a smooth start. If you can figure out POA-2 and TAOW you should have no problems ;)

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
MajorH said:
If it is not v405AM then go to the link below and get the appropriate Mac or Windows patch package.
It is v405AM. This is the latest version?

JWW

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TACOPS is a fabulous game. I have had it on three different computers, far longer than any other game I've ever played. I currently have BCT, AFT, and DA on my computer, too, and play them, but I always end up coming back to TACOPS, too. I may get an argument from some, but it just seems to do some really neat things in a very simple manner.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks.

I've been very busy the last few days with the webpage so I havn't had much of a chance to do much except fiddle around a little bit. At first glance this game ins't that inspiring, however, the longer and deeper you dig into it--the more you find to like. There is quite a bit more to this title than meets the eye and I'm glad I picked it up. This looks like a real winner.

One thing that is very impressive is the inclusion of all the little extras on the CD. The game comes with a ton of additional maps and a bunch of Army publications in pdf format. Some of these I already had from DA, but nevertheless this is still an invaluable tool.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Red said:
Even tough I have a few second thoughts, Iv ordered too :)
Please let me know how long it takes for delivery. Unless things have changed recently, European orders are shipped from Ireland rather than from the US.