OK so ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1 is back what else is coming.

Reckall

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
OK, speak up! I know of Starplayer(*), where is the other one?

(Starplayer stocks some very little ASL stuff - the Pocket RB, Yanks, one SK, maybe an Action Pack - not enough to get you properly started as a new player)
Ironically, I started playing ASL thanks to Starplayer. In 2013 (IIRC) I bought the 2nd Ed. Rulebook, BV, FKaC and Rising Sun - throwing in ASLSK #1 as a form of tutorial.

The problem was not the price I paid for the games - the problem was the price I paid to DHL to ship them back in Italy :D

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ironically, I started playing ASL thanks to Starplayer. In 2013 (IIRC) I bought the 2nd Ed. Rulebook, BV, FKaC and Rising Sun - throwing in ASLSK #1 as a form of tutorial.

The problem was not the price I paid for the games - the problem was the price I paid to DHL to ship them back in Italy :D
Actually, there are at least 3 brick-and-mortar stores in Paris that carry some ASL material (Starplayer and Descartes were mentioned previously; l'Oeuf Cube has some as well). All three are within short distance of each other (but all together, last time I checked, they only had very limited stuff - internet is really the way to go these days).

And, ironically too when compared to your own story, I also had to order online for some stuff a few months ago, but the French places were out of what I needed (I found more on a Germany-based online store).

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've gotten three since they've been released; Alex Keys for the 1st one, Ebay at the same price as Alex's price on Ebay and a SK2 with the ASLSK EP inside for only $35 (well less than the MMP price).

The 1st two are for my Grandson, the last will help to complete the SK series I have in a Plano container.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I guess ASL is more popular in Paris than it is in Silicon Valley.
We're talking about the Latin Quarter in Paris; this has several schools and universities, and a long history of gaming stores. All three I mentioned are more than 20 years old (and two, I would guess, more than 30). I doubt many new ones would open in the area, but for some reason (like, the former students who spent way to much time and money there 25 years ago, like me) they managed to keep afloat.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I visited Descartes in Paris very briefly a few years ago. Like most US game stores, heavy on Eurogames (duh!), Magic and other card games, Warhammer minis, and a handful of wargames.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess ASL is more popular in Paris than it is in Silicon Valley.
Maybe, Didn't Gamescape, the closest to a wargame store in the south bay close? Whenever in the city, I try the store there, but it has been a while.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
GameStop in Berkeley had a few ASL products. I was surprised to see them in a store. Somehow it looked wrong.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Maybe, Didn't Gamescape, the closest to a wargame store in the south bay close? Whenever in the city, I try the store there, but it has been a while.
GameKastle in Santa Clara has (had?) a decent mix of war-games in both the 20th and 21st century styles. Last time I was there it seemed like their ASL stock had been slimmed down.

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I haven't seen an ASL product in a swedish store since the '90s. I think. It was KGP 1 or 2. Should've bought it..!

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GameStop in Berkeley had a few ASL products. I was surprised to see them in a store. Somehow it looked wrong.

JR
Mmmm, I know up here in Sacramento/No Cali, there is nothing that isn't washed with M:TG, Flames of War, Axis/Allied stuff and role playing games. It is hard finding a good B&M war game store, but I understand. I am not at a loss with mail order stuff.

Next time I am down in the bay I may quest for some ASL stuff. There was a Gator Games in San Mateo that milked the M:TG tip all day, but had a few war games.