OICW

kast06

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i've seen several sources that state the us army is going to adopt the objective individual combat weopon developedby heckler and koch as the replacement for the m-16. supposidly this is going to take place in 2007.

does any one else have any info?

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing more then anyone else.

What strikes me as bizarre is that a M16A4 has been fielded in limited numbers. I cant help but wonder why they even bothered.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing, only that they've been looking for a replacement for the M-16 for at least 15 years. Who knows what they'll come up with?. Hpefully something superior, as opposed to the transition form the M-14 to M-16.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OICW testing is not going well. The damn thing is just too heavy and battery power dependent. It has given rise though to a replacement to M2 .50 cal HB and the MK 19. I have not seen a fielding date though for any of these.

They have taken the H&K M8 and done a joint service test. One of the Stryker Brigades will be getting it as a issue weapon.

The Army has also come out with a 6.38mm (270 Win) round as a possible replacement for the 5.56mm NATO round. There is a fair amount of criticism about the effectiveness of the 5.56 round when fired from shorter barrelled weapons like the M4 and M8. The shorter barrell decreases the effectiveness and stabilization of the round.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by kast06
i've seen several sources that state the us army is going to adopt the objective individual combat weopon developedby heckler and koch as the replacement for the m-16. supposidly this is going to take place in 2007.

does any one else have any info?
Still no decision - they have been looking and give no time frame for a decision. Several options are being evaluated.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Articles in a number of 'trade' magazines seem to indicate that the Army is leaning towards the new H&K... I just hope they decide to change over to the 6mm round.

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just hope they decide to change over to the 6mm round.
Of course you realize this would lead to a push for all of NATO to adopt it...and all of the headaches that come with the tranisition process.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah the weapon sounds like a dream come true but it does look very bulky and unmanuverable. That Xm8 looks like a kids toy almost. I haven't heard any complaints about the 5.56mm round and it seems to be working fine in all NATO weapons. Accuracy problems with the M4 are something like .1mm off of the M16A2.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The complaints I have heard since '93 center mainly on 'knock-down' power. Also the loss of accuracy with the M4 vs M16 can be significant, ususally at very embarassing moments. I'm not sure of the adrenal rush or kat, but the 5.56 round reputedly would not knock down a target with one hit. The destabalizing of the round on contact with soft tissue, which originally is what made it so effective, does not occur with the current ball ammo.

It might be a PITA to NATO to follow along with us up 6.8... Since the European nations don't want to lead or being in the first rank, they damn well stumble on along behind...

Marines

Reaction score
The War on Terror has engendered many changes, and details of some new US developments have emerged over the past year. First, it now appears that the XM29 OICW will probably be abandoned in favour of two stand-alone weapons. The first is the Heckler & Koch XM8 assault rifle, which is under consideration as a replacement for the M16 and M4 family of rifles and carbines. This rifle will be evaluated during 2004, and if tests are successful, it may enter US service as early as 2005.

Alliant Technologies is now showing a semi-automatic grenade launcher chambered for the 25 mm Objective Crew-Served Weapon (OCSW) cartridge. Although US Army spokespersons state that the XM29 programme has not been abandoned, the absence of the XM29 and the presence of two new and separate systems at recent trade shows indicate otherwise. If the XM8 were to be adopted by the US Army without competition from alternative designs, it would be an unprecedented event in US small-arms history. JDW

Semper Fi

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the thing that has me irked is the replacement of the M2. My dad said that when the Navy replaced all the Colts with Berettas everyone was complaining and the ship tried to keep their M1911A1's but obviously didn't win. I heard that the Army plans to replace the M2 with a fly-weight 20mm autocannon that is crew served. Well they think that is too far off and currently will work on redesigning the M2 and making it lighter by making it out of composites...

When you make your guns out of plastic problems start happening....

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Earlier this week,I got to meet the Sgt. Maj. of the Army. Myself and a few others were selected to ask him "spontanious" questions. (I fought the temptation of having cue card in hand while addressing him) Someone else had the same question so I took the opportunity to ask about this system. Pretty much, it's being tested in different environments,etc. but that was the closest thing to a definate answer I got.

Airforce 1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
as a kinda of follow up to his quesition i was wondering if they were ever going to adobt that...x-47 i dont konw the name im sorry. but that redicuously large gun that had self guiding projectiles.