Oh, what a Wonderful Game........

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During our game of ASL 104 this evening, my 9-1, rallies from a broken status in the RPh, he is two hexes from a fully armed and dangerous TigerI on level 2. He waltzes into the woods on the way up for 4 MF. whee a broken DM HS holds the only PIAT left. he recovers it on the 5th MF, and moves adjacent to the Tiger I on MF #6. Said kitty kat fires its MA (having already broken the 2-4-7 with the PIAT with his BMG and having a disabled CMG) point blank in the OG at the 9-1. a 1,1 DR Critical hit.....

88L so that's a 30 FP no TEM okay a 30 FP flat. rolls out for a K/4. Leader wounded - wound severity "3" dr- flesh wound....4 MC rolls a 1,2. MC Dr - net 7 pass, no effect.

the now wounded, pretty much just an 8-0, lines up for this PIAT shot in the AFPh.....

We think we have a winner for a VC recommendation. This leader has the huevos to waltz right up a fully functional Tiger I, grab a PIAT from some quivering blob of HS draftee material hiding behind a tree, and just calmly line up the shot, cock the PIAT and say "okay - I got YOUR number, boyo" - as shrapnel flies all over the area and he takes a few pieces in his legs while lining up his return shot! :D:cool:

You got to love a game like this.

KRL, jon H

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The CH should be at 30FP down (at least) one because even if the leader is not in TEM terrain, FFNAM applies as a negative DRM to the effects DR [C3.71] (as would FFMO if applicable). If the leader had survived it would have been pinned because it wounded after having spent more than three MF [A17.2]. Also if the Tiger rolled snakeeyes, it had rate.

During the DFPh, using its ROF the Tiger would have DRM of -2 for point blank range & -1 for acquisition. If it is not BU (and assuming no other positive DRM apply) the Tiger gets a hit on an eleven and a critical on a six.

JR

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty legit SMC!

Did he have to take the 4MC, though? I read 7.302 as saying only squads that K on a K/# have to take the #MC; leaders don't. Is there errata on this I'm missing?

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Huh, I suppose a very careful parsing of that rule might indicate that the leader not take the MC, as leaders are not specifically included in "...all other target units (including any just-reduced HS)...". However, why would SMC be exempted here? I've always played it that casualty reduced leaders take the MC. There is no errata that I know of adding "and just-wounded leaders" to the parenthesis after "HS", however, so who knows?

I really should have gone into law. Perhaps we should consult the framers of the ASLRB. Normally I am dead set against originalism, however since ASL is (just) slightly less complicated than a society of millions, I suppose that I must rely upon originalism when a simply textualist interpretation seems slightly inconsistent.

Ahem, I may have wandered off topic a bit there. Anyways, JR says SMCs are treated differently than MMCs during the K/# process. Seems strange, but there you go.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Huh, I suppose a very careful parsing of that rule might indicate that the leader not take the MC, as leaders are not specifically included in "...all other target units (including any just-reduced HS)...". However, why would SMC be exempted here? I've always played it that casualty reduced leaders take the MC. There is no errata that I know of adding "and just-wounded leaders" to the parenthesis after "HS", however, so who knows?

I really should have gone into law. Perhaps we should consult the framers of the ASLRB. Normally I am dead set against originalism, however since ASL is (just) slightly less complicated than a society of millions, I suppose that I must rely upon originalism when a simply textualist interpretation seems slightly inconsistent.

Ahem, I may have wandered off topic a bit there. Anyways, JR says SMCs are treated differently than MMCs during the K/# process. Seems strange, but there you go.
There is a q&a regarding SMC:

q&a said:
A7.302 If a SMC is wounded by a K/# result, must he also take the resulting MC?
A. No (e.g., see the A.9 example). [An93b; An96; Mw]
JR

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Huh. Thanks JR! I looked (I always do, promise!) but that Q&A isn't on Klas' site. Is there another Q&A repository I am unaware of? At any rate, the A.9 example definitely supports, so no question there.

Verging dangerously close to originalism, I wonder if the intent there was to make SMC slightly more survivable.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Huh. Thanks JR! I looked (I always do, promise!) but that Q&A isn't on Klas' site. Is there another Q&A repository I am unaware of? At any rate, the A.9 example definitely supports, so no question there.

Verging dangerously close to originalism, I wonder if the intent there was to make SMC slightly more survivable.
I copied & pasted from v22 of klas's compilation. Make sure you have the combined q&a from klas's site (ASL_QA_Total.pdf), which includes the Romanowski compilation. If you only have the gamesquad compilation you miss the official errata, of which that was one, and older q&a.That particular q&a has probably been in there from version one.

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Huh. So in a weird way, the K/# was the best result for that leader, far outside the expected badness of the rolls immediately to either side on the IFT (ie, the KIAs on the lower side and the 3-4MCs on the upper side). The odds of surviving the wound severity dr were 67%, whereas the odds of a 9-1 surviving a 4MC are 17% (GO) and 11% (Pinned).

Plus, wounds are more dramatic and cinematographic.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Huh. So in a weird way, the K/# was the best result for that leader, far outside the expected badness of the rolls immediately to either side on the IFT (ie, the KIAs on the lower side and the 3-4MCs on the upper side). The odds of surviving the wound severity dr were 67%, whereas the odds of a 9-1 surviving a 4MC are 17% (GO) and 11% (Pinned).

Plus, wounds are more dramatic and cinematographic.
It does sounds like it should have been a 2KIA and not a K/4 though. The FFNAM/FFMO applied to the CH resolution DR.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It does sounds like it should have been a 2KIA and not a K/4 though. The FFNAM/FFMO applied to the CH resolution DR.
From the description I can't tell if FFMO applied. Although the last move was for one MF and there was no TEM, it is possible that it was not open ground, e.g. orchard or path through brush, etc.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
From the description I can't tell if FFMO applied. Although the last move was for one MF and there was no TEM, it is possible that it was not open ground, e.g. orchard or path through brush, etc.
Sounds like it was Open Ground:

During our game of ASL 104 this evening, my 9-1, rallies from a broken status in the RPh, he is two hexes from a fully armed and dangerous TigerI on level 2. He waltzes into the woods on the way up for 4 MF. whee a broken DM HS holds the only PIAT left. he recovers it on the 5th MF, and moves adjacent to the Tiger I on MF #6. Said kitty kat fires its MA (having already broken the 2-4-7 with the PIAT with his BMG and having a disabled CMG) point blank in the OG at the 9-1. a 1,1 DR Critical hit.....
I also hope that broken HS did not move with the PIAT the same MPh, because then the leader (after having recovered it from the broken HS) could move that last MF adjacent to the Tiger.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
During our game of ASL 104 this evening, my 9-1, rallies from a broken status in the RPh, he is two hexes from a fully armed and dangerous TigerI on level 2. He waltzes into the woods on the way up for 4 MF. whee a broken DM HS holds the only PIAT left. he recovers it on the 5th MF,
I knew a leader could recover SW from broken units in the RPh, but checking the rule book, he can also do it in the MPh. And he can also do it without spending MF! A4.44: "Only a SMC can Recover a SW/Gun possessed by a friendly broken unit, and does this by rolling a Recovery Final dr of < 6 (Δ) in its RPh/MPh without need of MF expenditure;"

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I knew a leader could recover SW from broken units in the RPh, but checking the rule book, he can also do it in the MPh. And he can also do it without spending MF! A4.44: "Only a SMC can Recover a SW/Gun possessed by a friendly broken unit, and does this by rolling a Recovery Final dr of < 6 (Δ) in its RPh/MPh without need of MF expenditure;"
I also hope that broken HS did not move with the PIAT the same MPh, because then the leader (after having recovered it from the broken HS) could move that last MF adjacent to the Tiger.
As klas rightly points out, if the halfsquad moved with the piat, the leader couldn't recover it and move because the SW can't be double-portaged.

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<SWOOP>

Not so fast, my Swedish Friend!

Gasp! It's A2 Man!

Yes, it is I, A2 Man! And allow me to remind you, All results stand once play has progressed past the point of commission!

Yes, I see that now! THANK YOU, A2 Man!

TIS NOTHING, CITIZEN! A2 MAN.... AWAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Untitled.png

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
<SWOOP>

Not so fast, my Swedish Friend!

Gasp! It's A2 Man!

Yes, it is I, A2 Man! And allow me to remind you, All results stand once play has progressed past the point of commission!

Yes, I see that now! THANK YOU, A2 Man!

TIS NOTHING, CITIZEN! A2 MAN.... AWAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

View attachment 5096
A2 is the section titled, "The Mapboard." I suspect you want A.2 (A-point-two).

JR