OH NO! Pitman's left the ASL forum in a huff...AGAIN!

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many of the posters show that they are moved themselves by the expression of their bitter personal attacks vs the absentee.
I'm a little surprised that there are no posts empathizing with our poor Pitman, or pointing out some positive aspects of his past presence here. Or at least clarifying where we must point the "finger of blame" (or giving credit to...depending upon your outlook) for his new strike. Maybe everyone is just bored with all these "strikes" of his.

Maybe the Pitman lovers terrified of being villified for defending him. In the past when I defended him I was villified. I notice you are walking a dangerous line in that regard my friend...:sneak:

Come on! Defend Pitman! You gutless punks! :nofear:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I'm a little surprised that there are no posts empathizing with our poor Pitman, or pointing out some positive aspects of his past presence here. [...]
Come on! Defend Pitman! You gutless punks! :nofear:
I prefer laugh at the overly agressive and hate filled posts.
I had heard that GS forums can go wild, but the level of bitterness that is expressed in this thread is about the most high I have ever seen (and it seems that direct personal attacks are not moderated here).

What I see of Mark, either here or on other forums or from the articles he writes in the ASL Journals or from his DM site, is that it is no more easy to curse him without restraint than to celebrate him.
If one would defend him, I would say that, even when he can be stubborn and blunt, by making sweeping judgements, I don't recall him making a personal attack (I mean, cursing people). In the thread about what makes a historian, even if his definition is debatable and his not recieving the writers of the historical background as "historians" is for the least narrow minded, he did not call them names.
Even if his articles and his site do earn rightful critics (his last survey of KGS Cholm contains some blatant errors and misjudgements - about the graphics, about the impact of the historical booklet on the price of the module and about the "germanocentric" aspect of the biographies [where it is clearly explained that the Russian side actors data were out of reach, notwithstanding the efforts of the writers]), they are appreciated contributions to ASL.

Now, this thread does serve as a revelator of the "bad stuff" that people can spew out when pressed too much.
And, for the least, it shows how much Pitman is "important" to many posters - even though in a negative way. They simply cannot ignore this guy.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I prefer laugh at the overly agressive and hate filled posts.
I had heard that GS forums can go wild, but the level of bitterness that is expressed in this thread is about the most high I have ever seen (and it seems that direct personal attacks are not moderated here).

What I see of Mark, either here or on other forums or from the articles he writes in the ASL Journals or from his DM site, is that it is no more easy to curse him without restraint than to celebrate him.
If one would defend him, I would say that, even when he can be stubborn and blunt, by making sweeping judgements, I don't recall him making a personal attack (I mean, cursing people). In the thread about what makes a historian, even if his definition is debatable and his not recieving the writers of the historical background as "historians" is for the least narrow minded, he did not call them names.
Even if his articles and his site do earn rightful critics (his last survey of KGS Cholm contains some blatant errors and misjudgements - about the graphics, about the impact of the historical booklet on the price of the module and about the "germanocentric" aspect of the biographies [where it is clearly explained that the Russian side actors data were out of reach, notwithstanding the efforts of the writers]), they are appreciated contributions to ASL.

Now, this thread does serve as a revelator of the "bad stuff" that people can spew out when pressed too much.
And, for the least, it shows how much Pitman is "important" to many posters - even though in a negative way. They simply cannot ignore this guy.

It's not spewing at all. You try disagreeing with him over something and see how he treats you.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It's not spewing at all. You try disagreeing with him over something and see how he treats you.
Well, the way his contradictors answer him does not seem more polite or respectful than his.
Now, I am not trying to defend him.
But the agressivity towards him is quite high and seems - from my limited understanding of the situation - to show that both "sides" have their share of responsibility in the conflict.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, the way his contradictors answer him does not seem more polite or respectful than his.
Now, I am not trying to defend him.
But the agressivity towards him is quite high and seems - from my limited understanding of the situation - to show that both "sides" have their share of responsibility in the conflict.
With all due respect Swifty - We've been here a while and we know what we're talking about.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
With all due respect Swifty - We've been here a while and we know what we're talking about.
You are right.
I admit my limited understanding of the situation.
I still am quite astonished about the level of the conflict as it is expressed on this thread - but I also know that online expression (on forums, in chatrooms or via email) is quite often twisted by no "non verbal" communication. Things can get weird, where a "face to face" encounter would develop a quite different interaction.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I want you to go to your room and sit and think about what you just did.
You should stop believe grandma and her stories of me touching furniture with my scrotum when you're at work. Btw., do you know where are tweezers, need to pull out a chip.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My reaction to Pitman is very, very mixed. He has contributed greatly to ASL and the ASL community. He has the ability to cut through BS and muddled thinking. He is clearly well educated and keeps up with developments and discoveries in history.

However he can be very abrasive and too often sticks doggedly to shaky or dubious positions. His online persona sometimes or even often undermines the cause or position that he supports. Maybe some of that comes from what he has to deal with in real life. It is not that he is the worst here, there are others from whom you expect no better, but that given his intelligence and education you expect and hope for better from him.

My attitude towards him is not antagonistic but more of occasional sadness and disappointment. Sometimes I feel like shouting "Stop Digging". On the plus side he is challenging and a very good devil's advocate.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just one question:

Does this mean I WON'T be geting my "bribe" for my "Most Popular" vote?? He did promise us , after all !!!!

Jon H