Offmap entry hex level

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This came up in FT139 and some other places, but I cannot find the rules reference on this (or Perry Sez). What elevation are units entering at unless defined by SSR or other?

Seems to come up with a lot of the "High Ground" type boards, for me, now, FT211 "9th Compagnie Sacrifice"

Jackson references it for FT139 "Ride of the 200th" as you are treated as being at level zero when offmap getting ready to enter. This makes a lot of he entry hexes inaccessible due to triple crests and such.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
This came up in FT139 and some other places, but I cannot find the rules reference on this (or Perry Sez). What elevation are units entering at unless defined by SSR or other?
Level 0.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It depends if it is off board, on map but out of play, or Korea type hill boards. Those are covered by the rules.

But on board out of play is not covered by the rules. ^^ That was my question to Perry ^^ And I should have worded it as "divided by the in play/ out of play line" His actual answer was ............

"Ordinarily, such hexes are at level 0, barring an SSR or special (e.g., HASL)
rule."

I find it amazing that this isn't caught in playtesting and SSRed.

Seth

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It depends if it is off board, on map but out of play .... Those are covered by the rules.
I am not aware that there is a rule in the standard rules covering offboard hexes even where the playing area has been truncated so there are real hexes on the map that are considered off board. As far as I know these are all considered open ground at level zero. For example if board 2 is in play but truncated to K-GG and one side enters the K edge, as far as I know the "J" offboard hexes are considered at level zero for purposes of entry without a SSR.

The only exception I know if iis when you enter a non-geomorphic side of one of the KW boards, 80-84. And W1.1 only seems to apply if the board has not been truncated, i.e. if one of the non-geomorphic edges (or one of the geo-morphic edges) is truncated, then I believe W1.1 does not apply, and you are back to open ground at level zero.

JR

Last edited:

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not aware that there is a rule in the standard rules covering offboard hexes even where the playing area has been truncated so there are real hexes on the map that are considered off board. As far as I know these are all considered open ground at level zero. For example if board 2 is in play but truncated to K-GG and one side enters the K edge, as far as I know the "J" offboard hexes are considered at level zero for purposes of entry without a SSR.

The only exception I know if iis when you enter a non-geomorphic side of one of the KW boards, 80-84. And W1.1 only seems to apply if the board has not been truncated, i.e. if one of the non-geomorphic edges (or one of the geo-morphic edges) is truncated, then I believe W1.1 does not apply, and you are back to open ground at level zero.

JR
Right. That is a list of possibilities in the portion of my post that you quoted. The situation that you describe of a truncated board is the one that is NOT covered by the rules. Hence my question to Perry which as I noted I had still worded wrong by using the word "on board / off board" instead on "in play / out of play". Also need to differentiate "board" from "map".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a whole topic on this that I started just a couple weeks ago.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/a2-51-off-board-hill-hexes.152537/

Seth