Official HASLs & CGs in the works

voyager77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any update on the Normandy HASL? Just asking from an 82nd vet...

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any update on the Normandy HASL? Just asking from an 82nd vet...
its pretty well fully baked playtesting wise and is waiting for its slot in the final development/proofing/layout lineup. 11 scenarios, 3 CGs and a few new toys. Its mostly an infantry fight with enough armor thrown in to keep things interesting. Lots of bocage. A bit of night. Some glider landings. Some of the scenarios are remakes of the previous scenarios that took place on the map (Lost Opportunities and the Roadblock, Not Apt to Drag Feet, and Raff's Dilemma).

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I can't await the Normandy HASL.

Do You remember Johnny Wayne als Lt. Col. "Vandy" Vandervoort in The Longest Day entering Sainte-Mere-Eglise? I hope there is a leader counter of him in that box. :)

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't await the Normandy HASL.

Do You remember Johnny Wayne als Lt. Col. "Vandy" Vandervoort in The Longest Day entering Sainte-Mere-Eglise? I hope there is a leader counter of him in that box. :)
So one of the things the module allows you to explore is the importance of Vandervoort vs the importance of Krause. Both were true leaders but Vandervoort got a lot of good press (he certainly deserved it) while Krause didn't get the press (and he probably deserved some press also). Krause's mission was to take St Mere Eglise and hold it. Vandervoort was directed towards Neuville au Plain but was diverted back to St Mere by orders. Of course Vandy then made the important decision to send Turner's platoon on towards NaP which is credited as one of the most important American small unit decisions of the war. Krause fought off the Georgian's (who I think turned in a surprisingly good 24 hour performance) before Vandervoort reinforced and Krause was wounded three times (some relatively minor) before reporting for medical aid. Vandervoort fought off the much stronger northern attack. Anyway one of the CG focuses on Krause and one on Vandy and then the third (bigger one) has them both.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Very interesting.

To be sure: There is a map and scenarios for the battle at La Fiere bridge. Right?

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well yes and no. This module is strictly about the fighting at St Mere Eglise Hill 20 and Nueville au Plain. la Fiere is "down the street" from these maps. I have the map drawn and the module designed for la Fiere but it isn't in this module. The intention is that is a a separate module (as is the fighting for Chef du Pont and Hill 30 which is a third module maps drawn and designed already also). But I haven't given la Fiere any playtesting or development love yet. I got sidetracked by Mokra, and Marco Polo bridge, and another SK Expansion Pack, Winter Offensive packs and a few other odds and ends.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well yes and no. This module is strictly about the fighting at St Mere Eglise Hill 20 and Nueville au Plain. la Fiere is "down the street" from these maps. I have the map drawn and the module designed for la Fiere but it isn't in this module. The intention is that is a a separate module (as is the fighting for Chef du Pont and Hill 30 which is a third module maps drawn and designed already also). But I haven't given la Fiere any playtesting or development love yet. I got sidetracked by Mokra, and Marco Polo bridge, and another SK Expansion Pack, Winter Offensive packs and a few other odds and ends.
What's the bit about Mokra and Marco Polo bridge?

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the bit about Mokra and Marco Polo bridge?
Just two more HASL modules in various states of design/testing/development. Mokra intends to be a Historical Study following the Poles from 1939 to 1945 with a CG about the Battle of Mokra, a one map, 4 dates, vehicle heavy with some additional toys. 2 new geo maps and 20 ish scenarios. Probably try to throw in some Polish distinctiveness to differentiate them a bit more (nothing too major). None of this is set in stone yet although a fair bit has been designed and playtested with the help of a few guys on VASL.

Marco Polo Bridge (or Lagou Bridge) over the Yongding RIver is another Historical Study that takes a look at the beginnings of Word War 2 (or if one prefers the War of Chinese People's Resistance against Japanese Aggression). We've got several historical scenarios and a CG so far and working on more. Some playtesting has been done but this one isn't as far along. These things take time. Playtesting is critical and that takes at least two people. MPB isn't vasl ready yet unfortunately so the PTing is only face to face which, at the moment, is difficult.

They are both a ways off. No time frame can really be associated with them.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang, Ken. I wish I knew how you Designer Types got your info. I read about Mokra in Forczyk's Case White and poked around the internet a bit, looking for more info. Sounds like you succeeded ?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Marco Polo Bridge (or Lagou Bridge) over the Yongding RIver is another Historical Study that takes a look at the beginnings of Word War 2 (or if one prefers the War of Chinese People's Resistance against Japanese Aggression). We've got several historical scenarios and a CG so far and working on more. Some playtesting has been done but this one isn't as far along. These things take time. Playtesting is critical and that takes at least two people. MPB isn't vasl ready yet unfortunately so the PTing is only face to face which, at the moment, is difficult.
This ROCKS .. it's Lugou Bridge 卢沟桥 / 盧溝橋 (simplified / traditional)

"War of Chinese People's Resistance against Japanese Aggression" or 中國抗日戰爭. Love it. You got Chinese speakers in your crew. I look forward to this.

THIS ROCKS

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang, Ken. I wish I knew how you Designer Types got your info. I read about Mokra in Forczyk's Case White and poked around the internet a bit, looking for more info. Sounds like you succeeded ?

Actually the Polish stuff was easy. I can even deal with Polish language pretty well. MMP bought me a Polish source book that was over $100 I think so I wasn't out of pocket for that. I've got a pretty extensive WW II library and access to MMP's library. I've got 20 odd sources on Mokra and the Polish stuff (although some of it can get repetitive) The Chinese stuff is way more difficult to find plus I can't read the language.

Osprey books tend to be pretty good also as well as generally inexpensive.

It just takes time and a willingness to revise everything (maps, scenarios, rules, etc) if you find additional/better info along the design and development journey. I think I redrew the MPB map four times to get it as close as the pictures I have show and to get the battlefield limits right. A lot of the battle wasn't actually at the historical bridge or the town.

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This ROCKS .. it's Lugou Bridge 卢沟桥 / 盧溝橋 (simplified / traditional)

"War of Chinese People's Resistance against Japanese Aggression" or 中國抗日戰爭. Love it. You got Chinese speakers in your crew. I look forward to this.

THIS ROCKS
Thanks. Sadly no Chinese speakers. Just a dull attempt on my part to recognize cultural perspectives I guess. Also sadly, I misspell the bridge and the town and the river names all the time. Thanks for catching that!