Official HASLs & CGs in the works

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Time for another celebration!

Normandy
82nd Airborne experience during D-Day (6 maps in 3 sets - 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20, 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville, and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont plus strategic map to connect them all together; about 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG)

• Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
Dinant
Battles around Meuse River crossings in both '40 & '44.

• CG maps (not in crayon)
  • Dan Dolan, Nadir El-Farra and Carl Nogueira
  • Submitted
  • Published in Croix de Guerre, Second Edition
Ortona
Canadian city fight in '44 Italy

• (CG map)
  • Michael Rodgers & Darren Kovacs, successors to the late Jim McLeod
  • Early playtest
  • [unknown]
Red October
Stalingrad factory adjacent to Red Barricades

• CG map connects to RB, updated RB map
  • Charlie Kibler & Gary Fortenberry
  • PUBLISHED AND SHIPPING!
  • HASL module, published as "Red Factories" with Red Barricades reprint included
Manila
'45 Japanese stand in city against US/Filipino effort to liberate

• Large CG map with scaled-down buildings, now in redraft in digital form; 5 CGs
  • Brian Blad & David Roth
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
The Dawn of Eagles
German investment of Rotterdam in May '40.

• (detailed CG map of city center, 16 potential scenarios as well as three CGs, more Dutch infantry and vehicles, gunboats and seaplanes)
  • David Meyler
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
Slaughter At Ponyri
Action on the north flank of the Kursk salient, July '43.

• (CG map, 15 scenarios in development)
  • Jim Aikens, Jeff Coyle, Pete Shelling, Chas Smith & Matt Zajac
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the strategic map idea?
Similar to the combined KGP concept (perhaps with a smaller strategic map and some kind of strategic control or units counters [not sure]?). Neat idea, I had thought of this approach for an extended Bulge CG once.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd really like to know where The Dawn of Eagle and Manilla fit on their schedule. I'd pre-order those the day they are announced!
Same here.

That said, I wasn’t wild about Red Factorys, and I bought it because it’s, “official ASL”.

But, now, having opened up the box, it looks nice and interesting.

I hope the Normandy HASL will have the same effect on me...

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same here.

That said, I wasn’t wild about Red Factorys, and I bought it because it’s, “official ASL”.

But, now, having opened up the box, it looks nice and interesting.

I hope the Normandy HASL will have the same effect on me...
I too am excited about the Normandy CG. I am definitely buying the Manila module as I want to purchase a number of Japanese CG games that are in the various pipelines.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Ortona at this time. Jim McLeod turned Ortona over to MMP at some point before he passed away (he died in 2009), but he included additional map changes as well as a small number of rule changes. In 2014, MMP asked me if I would like to take on incorporating the changes and putting everything through the playtest again. I took on the project. For six months or so, I worked on the map and rules a lot, and did some playtesting with Jean-Pierre Raymond. Then I let myself become too distracted by ASL tournaments and other pleasures of life. I have now returned to this project. Darren Kovacs is also participating.
Hey Michael,
Any update on Ortona? Need play testers or proofers? I’m really looking forward to this one!
William

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hey Michael,
Any update on Ortona? Need play testers or proofers? I’m really looking forward to this one!
William
Jean-Pierre Raymond and I finished our playtest of the ten scenarios. I was able to make a VASL (no LOS) version of the not-final map, so I have another pair of players testing the scenarios. JP and Dean Limosani are testing CG2. Erik Lindblad and I are testing CG1. There is a CG3 that sort of combines the two. Somethings we are experiencing might lead to rule changes that affect non-CG scenarios, so I am holding off involving more testers for the moment. I appreciate the offer to test and I have added your name to my list of volunteers.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Played it with Jim.
He did a fantastic job and if it follows his lead, it will be a must buy!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boy, have I left this thread get out of date...
Slaughter At Ponyri
Action on the north flank of the Kursk salient, July '43.

• (CG map, 15 scenarios in development)
  • Jim Aikens, Jeff Coyle, Pete Shelling, Chas Smith & Matt Zajac
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module

• Well I can tell you this is now in 'Late Playtest'
A few small map revisions and synching up the rules just to ensure the 'CG team' and the 'scenario team' were not too far off from each other.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Similar to the combined KGP concept (perhaps with a smaller strategic map and some kind of strategic control or units counters [not sure]?). Neat idea, I had thought of this approach for an extended Bulge CG once.
I remember the CG in Close Combat 4 (Battle of the Bulge) used this concept, improving on the CG from Close Combat 3 (Russian Front). In the earlier game you had a series of disconnected maps but a core force, in the later one you had a strategic map of the Bulge and shuffled forces between a dozen or so locations which then generated tactical fights on those maps. The only drawback of it was it got repetitive fighting for the exact same maps multiple times since there were so few of them.