Official HASLs & CGs in the works

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As David Roth provided us with a status report on Manila today, it seems like a good time for an overall update.
Just a brief comment - not really sure why so many believe that the battle of Manila took place in 1944 but that does seem to be a fairly common error. It occurred Feb 3 1945 - March 3 1945. Also, the Filipino partisans were encouraged by the Americans to not take an active part in the fighting within the city itself, but to only provide intel in the central city. The main reason? The American command was afraid that in the smoke and heat of battle some US troops might fire upon the Filipinos in a case of mistaken identity since many of the Filipinos were armed with captured Japanese weapons....hear a Nambu, fire at the Nambu......ask questions later.

Not sure if you would consider the designer as "official", but if you have any questions you may ask Chas Argent at MMP.
I gave final approval for the digital map about a month ago which will be used to make the final print run map. About two weeks ago I gave the thumbs up on the VASL map. Perry and I still have a LOT of work to due to work out all the little issues with rules wording etc. Fine tuning and making sure everything is in ASL-speak. That process has not begun, and most likely won't until sometime 2018. Scenarios have been though extensive PTing, but Chas will coordinate some VASL PTing to verify our previous results. All five CG's have been done and I was pleased with the results. CG rules are set. The only thing that MMP has committed to is to have this ready for pre-sell by December 31 2020 at the latest....Perry said they would try for 2018 (but that won't happen), 2019 is very possible and what I am hoping for, but most likely sometime mid 2020 for pre-sell. Hope that helps.

Flames In Hatten
U.S. 14th Armored vs German Panzer-Division 21 and Panzer-Grenadier Division 25 in Alsace during Operation NORDWIND, January '45 (single map, 3-date and 5-date Campaign Games (with no Night dates) and several stand-alone scenarios)
  • Andy Rogers
  • MMP Playtest
  • Stand-alone product (format TBD)
Normandy
82nd Airborne experience during D-Day (6 maps in 3 sets - 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20, 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville, and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont plus strategic map to connect them all together; about 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG)
  • Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
Dinant
Battles around Meuse River crossings in both '40 & '44.
  • CG maps (not in crayon)
  • Dan Dolan, Nadir El-Farra and Carl Nogueira
  • Submission
  • Published in Croix de Guerre, Second Edition
Ortona
Canadian city fight in '44 Italy
  • (CG map)
  • Michael Rodgers & Darren Kovacs, successors to the late Jim McLeod
  • Early playtest
  • [unknown]
Red October
Stalingrad factory adjacent to Red Barricades
  • CG map connects to RB, updated RB map
  • Charlie Kibler & Gary Fortenberry
  • Pre-order
  • HASL module, published as "Red Factories" with Red Barricades reprint included
Manila
'44 Japanese stand in city against US/Filipino effort to liberate
  • Large CG map with scaled-down buildings, now in redraft in digital form; 5 CGs
  • Brian Blad & David Roth
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
The Dawn of Eagles
German investment of Rotterdam in May '40.
  • (detailed CG map of city center, 16 potential scenarios as well as three CGs, more Dutch infantry and vehicles, gunboats and seaplanes)
  • David Meyler
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
Slaughter At Ponyri
Action on the north flank of the Kursk salient, July '43.
  • (CG map, 15 scenarios in development)
  • Jim Aikens, Jeff Coyle, Pete Shelling, Chas Smith & Matt Zajac
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module
[/QUOTE]

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Just a brief comment - not really sure why so many believe that the battle of Manila took place in 1944 but that does seem to be a fairly common error. It occurred Feb 3 1945 - March 3 1945.
Ouch, there's an oversight long overdue for correction. Fixed. Thanks, David.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ortona in 'Early Playtest'? We playtested it the CG in 2003.... I'd love to see this one get somewhere.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Ortona in 'Early Playtest'? We playtested it the CG in 2003.... I'd love to see this one get somewhere.
Only "early" in the sense that it is prior to submission to MMP. I can personally assure you that this CG is making progress!

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Normandy
  • 82nd Airborne experience during D-Day (6 maps in 3 sets - 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20, 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville, and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont plus strategic map to connect them all together; about 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG)
  • Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
now THAT sounds interesting. Anyone have any more details on that, those that can be shared at least.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Jon. Safe to say it's not in the pipeline?
A ways off George, just coming back to it after years away from it. Likely to be self produced, or freely released via VASL or some combination of the 2. Haven't decided on that, that is a long ways off, I'm looking over what my father started and leaning toward going a different direction with it and not focusing on a single location HASL, for which I had already mapped and done the specialized rules covering that hostile terrain and weather as well as the challenging tactical challenges each side had, but leaning toward doing several of the actions covering the Norwegian 6th Division's offensive against Gruppe Windisch in the barren mountains and valley's east of Narvik. Likely to be a historical study of sorts.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought I remember Red Factories and AoO being slated for release in June of this year, but saw Red Factories is now listed as Autumn 2018. Is this right? An ASLOK release?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Updated following MMP's announcement today:

Hatten In Flames
U.S. 14th Armored vs German Panzer-Division 21 and Panzer-Grenadier Division 25 in Alsace during Operation NORDWIND, January '45 (single map, 3-date and 5-date Campaign Games (with no Night dates) and several stand-alone scenarios)
Normandy
82nd Airborne experience during D-Day (6 maps in 3 sets - 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20, 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville, and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont plus strategic map to connect them all together; about 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG)
  • Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
Dinant
  • Submission
Ortona
  • (CG map)
  • Early playtest
  • [unknown]
Red October
  • Pre-order
  • HASL module, published as "Red Factories" with Red Barricades reprint included
Manila
'45 Japanese stand in city against US/Filipino effort to liberate
  • Large CG map with scaled-down buildings, now in redraft in digital form; 5 CGs
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
The Dawn of Eagles
  • (detailed CG map of city center, 16 potential scenarios as well as three CGs, more Dutch infantry and vehicles, gunboats and seaplanes)
  • David Meyler
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
Slaughter At Ponyri
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Time for the update we've all anticipated:

Hatten In Flames
  • Andy Rogers
  • PUBLISHED! :jig::cry::thumbsup::clap::hellyes::highfive:
  • HASL module
Normandy
  • Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
Dinant
  • Submission
Ortona
  • (CG map)
  • Early playtest
  • [unknown]
Red October
  • Pre-order
Manila
'45 Japanese stand in city against US/Filipino effort to liberate
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
The Dawn of Eagles
  • David Meyler
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
Slaughter At Ponyri
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module
That's one down, seven to go. At least until the next project comes over the horizon.

Congratulations to Andy & MMP.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
(quick comment ... I don't know how you playtest those!)
Same way you playtest anything else, I guess. You play 'em until you're confident that the rules "work" as intended and that there aren't any hidden surprises that will cause game problems. Obviously it will take a lot longer than just playtesting a regular scenario.

I would put forward the opinion that RB was playtested "enough" as there were not many problems found after publication, and few of those were of any real consequence. KGP I was not playtested "enough" as it needed fairly serious revisions, but those revisions seem to have done the trick. Other HASL releases have possibly not seen enough post-release play to really make any qualitative judgements just yet? Everyone gets excited by new HASL releases but I'm not sure that CGs (as opposed to individual HASL scenarios) see a lot of actual play in the wider ASL community. (Certainly I have played very few, and I know many folk who have never played one.)

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Same way you playtest anything else, I guess. You play 'em until you're confident that the rules "work" as intended and that there aren't any hidden surprises that will cause game problems. Obviously it will take a lot longer than just playtesting a regular scenario.

I would put forward the opinion that RB was playtested "enough" as there were not many problems found after publication, and few of those were of any real consequence. KGP I was not playtested "enough" as it needed fairly serious revisions, but those revisions seem to have done the trick. Other HASL releases have possibly not seen enough post-release play to really make any qualitative judgements just yet? Everyone gets excited by new HASL releases but I'm not sure that CGs (as opposed to individual HASL scenarios) see a lot of actual play in the wider ASL community. (Certainly I have played very few, and I know many folk who have never played one.)
Funny and strange story buried someplace in GS about one of the playtest group leaders for KGP I who used to where an SS uniform while playing (guess which side) and would cheat like hell so his side won. I don’t think he had many repeat partners for PT. I always wondered how much influence this guy had on the final product.