Official HASLs & CGs in the works

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE="Bob Walters, post: 1862898, member: 2976] Although I do eventually plan on using ASL to examine some of the more interesting aspects of WW2.[/QUOTE]

Really?

Such as?......

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE="Bob Walters, post: 1862898, member: 2976] Although I do eventually plan on using ASL to examine some of the more interesting aspects of WW2.
Really?

Such as?......[/QUOTE]
How about an assault on Gibraltar? The afore mentioned invasion of Malta. How about what changes would have been necessary so that the Japanese would have won at Nomonhan? The list is extensive.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Hey, fellas, as the OP I'm going to ask that we stick to the (clearly defined) topic and not let ourselves get distracted by the latest troll (ignored already, btw), who is probably just the newest persona of someone we have encountered previously on the forums.
See you the next time we have news about an official HASL.

Cheers!

- G

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
How about what changes would have been necessary so that the Japanese would have won at Nomonhan?
well if you changed the Japanese mindset of 19th century "will" over technology and gave them an armored division (which they didn't have) maybe things would have been different. However, Zhukov's cav-mech cannae battle is pretty interesting as it stands and worth investigating in ASL.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really?

Such as?......
How about an assault on Gibraltar? The afore mentioned invasion of Malta. How about what changes would have been necessary so that the Japanese would have won at Nomonhan? The list is extensive.[/QUOTE]

All of these suggestions are hypothetical situations which did not occur during WWII.

You Know what Bob,
I probably should have read your introductory post in the 'new to the forum' thread a bit more closely. Perhaps then I would would have better perceived what we could expect you to contribute to the discussion of ASL. Apparently after awakening from your Rip Van Winkle -like "30 some odd year absence" from playing ASL , your litany of complaints begins with "publishers and authors" ... "no longer putting in a bibliography" , and "no Ebook version" of the ASLRB.

In addition, during the 60 plus posts since you joined the forum less than a month ago, I have been unable to locate any contribution on your part to the discussions of rules, gameplay, WWII history, scenarios played, etc. From what I have seen (and I don't think I'm alone on this), you seem to be satisfied to lurk in the 'manufacturers ' subforum, were you share your tiresome complaints about:

MMP and BFP business and marketing strategies.
No more eastern front modules.
Hypothetical battles which few people will buy let alone play.
etc., etc.

And lets not forget the ever-annoying "somebody oughtta" suggestions that people should start playtesting the modules that you want.
If you think there's room for improvement in ASL, then by all means Do Something About It instead of sitting there pounding on a keyboard.

Cue the sound of a metal hatch closing upon the Ignore Compartment.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I fail to understand is why it bothers some of you people so much. What is particularly strange is that there is no real "beefing" involved. As to other companies, I have been proactive in what I want from CH on their board. The smaller publishers do not publish counters with most of their modules plus they are not as active and likely can not afford the expense. In any case, MMP is the core of the hobby so really that is the place to discuss these things.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Filipinas Heritage Library has a very cool collection of photographs called Manila Reborn, billed as "An exhibit on the postwar reconstruction of a city" and showing some of the very impressive architecture that graced the city prior to WW2 and was unfortunately destroyed.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Filipinas Heritage Library has a very cool collection of photographs called Manila Reborn, billed as "An exhibit on the postwar reconstruction of a city" and showing some of the very impressive architecture that graced the city prior to WW2 and was unfortunately destroyed.
So THAT'S where you've been getting all those photos Tom. Gonna have to check it out.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How often do you get back there Sarge?
Was there in 1998 twice, and again in 2002. Got so sick last visit....food poisoning....airline food I suspect.
Wife's been back three or four other times. I hope to get back in another two or three years.....hope to be able to bring along with me the Manila HASL and the Corregidor HASL....and play them both with the guys in Manila. That would be awesome!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was there in 1998 twice, and again in 2002. Got so sick last visit....food poisoning....airline food I suspect.
Wife's been back three or four other times. I hope to get back in another two or three years.....hope to be able to bring along with me the Manila HASL and the Corregidor HASL....and play them both with the guys in Manila. That would be awesome!
Now THAT seems like a way cool "ASL Bucket List" add-on... play a game of KGP CG in Stoumont, AbtF in Arnhem, BR:T on Betio, etc - etc and so on.... :D :D

KRL, JonH

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now THAT seems like a way cool "ASL Bucket List" add-on... play a game of KGP CG in Stoumont, AbtF in Arnhem, BR:T on Betio, etc - etc and so on.... :D :D

KRL, JonH
I don't know.

I rather find it a bit morbid. War is not a game. Personally, I would keep visiting sites of past battles and gaming separate. For me it does not feel right to see the actual places of fighting and the graves of those who died and just afterwards go ahead like: "Wow. This was impressive. Now let's redo it in cardboard while the memory of the actual site is still just before my eyes." For me personally, this would not be taking things seriously and in a way belittle the fate of the actual people who suffered there.

Now, to make this clear, I am not accusing anyone of doing such things.
But personally I would not do it.

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Read a LinkedIn article this morning that caught my eye.

Does MMP need a "Director of Getting Shit Done?"

There is a guy here--Artistic Director of the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra--with that very job title. But the DOGSD title is actually for his day job at Shopify.

Now before you get your hair curlers in knot, I don't think MMP needs a DOGSD. It would only lead MMP's current (ASL) dogsbody to demand more compensation for his "new" position.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Does MMP need a "Director of Getting Shit Done?"
If you ask me, MMP is handling quite a lot of ASL stuff lately. And doing things right - the "Son of the Map Bundle" being the latest example. My subjective impression is that there has rarely been done more. And having said that, I have not even taken a look at anything not ASL by MMP on which I cannot give judgement.

So maybe they have already found one.

Cheers,
von Marwitz