Official HASLs & CGs in the works

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
UPDATE Re: Official HASLs & CGs in the works

A few changes reflecting recent remarks on Manila and Red October.

Flames In Hatten
U.S. 14th Armored vs German Panzer-Division 21 and Panzer-Grenadier Division 25 in Alsace during Operation NORDWIND, January '45 (single map, 3-date and 5-date Campaign Games (with no Night dates) and several stand-alone scenarios)
  • Andy Rogers
  • MMP Playtest
  • Stand-alone product (format TBD)
Normandy
82nd Airborne experience during D-Day (6 maps in 3 sets - 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20, 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville, and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont plus strategic map to connect them all together; about 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG)
  • Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
Dinant
Battles around Meuse River crossings in both '40 & '44.
  • (CG maps not in crayon)
  • Dan Dolan, Nadir El-Farra and Carl Nogueira
  • Submission
  • Published in Croix de Guerre, Second Edition
Ortona
Canadian city fight in '44 Italy
  • (CG map)
  • The late Jim McLeod, Chas Argent
  • Early playtest
  • [unknown]
Red October
Stalingrad factory adjacent to Red Barricades
  • (CG map connects to RB)
  • Charlie Kibler & Gary Fortenberry
  • Submission
  • HASL module, Red Barricades reprint to be issued concurrently
Manila
'44 Japanese stand in city against US/Filipino effort to liberate
  • (large CG map with scaled-down buildings, now in redraft in digital form)
  • Brian Blad & David Roth
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
The Dawn of Eagles
German investment of Rotterdam in May '40.
  • (detailed CG map of city center, 16 potential scenarios as well as three CGs, more Dutch infantry and vehicles, gunboats and seaplanes)
  • David Meyler
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
Slaughter At Ponyri
Action on the north flank of the Kursk salient, July '43.
  • (CG map, 15 scenarios in development)
  • Jim Aikens, Jeff Coyle, Pete Shelling, Chas Smith & Matt Zajac
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module

Last edited:

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: UPDATE Re: Official HASLs & CGs in the works

Interesting that you think Slaughter at Ponyri is in early playtest.
According to Journal 11 on page 19 it says that it has been in development for over 15 years
and should be submitted for publication in 2017.
Also on page 2 in The Umpires View says they hope to get it into our hands in 2017.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

IIRC, a number of the scenarios have been redesigned to account for new data. (The book from Leaping Horseman is probably that new data. It's very interesting.)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

According to Journal 11 on page 19 it says that it has been in development for over 15 years
and should be submitted for publication in 2017.
Also on page 2 in The Umpires View says they hope to get it into our hands in 2017.
"Early playtest" means playtesting that occurs prior to submission. "MMP playtest" is applied for post-submission playtesting. The project has not been submitted to MMP yet.

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I'm not saying you are right or wrong George.
It's just that MMP is implying that Flames in Hatten, Red October and Ponyri are going to be
the next 3 HASLs released (in 2017) and two of them haven't even been submitted yet.
Whereas Dawn of Eagles and Ortona we know have been submitted but have apparently fallen
back in the que.
MMP seems to playtest a long time before release so the whole situation with the implication that
two unsubmitted items will be released next year just seems implausible to me.
But what do I know?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

MMP seems to playtest a long time before release...
It is not only a question of playtesting (in house at MMP), it is also a question of available manpower to do the development (editing, rules-writing, proofreading) work.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

It is not only a question of playtesting (in house at MMP), it is also a question of available manpower to do the development (editing, rules-writing, proofreading) work.
Having worked with Klas on a submission, I can personally testify to this.

Just because a project hasn't been submitted doesn't mean that MMP isn't aware of/interested in it. If the project principals or anyone at MMP were to verify that it has been submitted, I would then update my post. The entire purpose of this thread is to provide all of the verifiable information about these projects in a single location, and to try to avoid speculating about how things are coming or how MMP interacts with outside designers.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

MMP seems to playtest a long time before release so the whole situation with the implication that
But what do I know?
Based on previous history, no one could argue with you. However, some of the submissions are probably rougher than others, so it may be that those items will come in polished and almost ready to go. Flames looks pretty straightforward and small enough to be included as an insert; Ponryi and Red Sphincter are being done by some pretty old hands at playtesting, who have worked with MMP before.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

Revised notes on Dinant in last update to reflect MMP's announcement that it will be published in Croix de Guerre, Second Edition.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

Revised notes on Dinant in last update to reflect MMP's announcement that it will be published in Croix de Guerre, Second Edition.
Bundling Dinant and the French module reprint makes sense, as it will ensure higher sales for the combined product.

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

A few changes reflecting recent remarks on Manila and Red October.

Flames In Hatten
U.S. 14th Armored vs German Panzer-Division 21 and Panzer-Grenadier Division 25 in Alsace during Operation NORDWIND, January '45 (single map, 3-date and 5-date Campaign Games (with no Night dates) and several stand-alone scenarios)
  • Andy Rogers
  • MMP Playtest
  • Mini-CG insert in Special Ops

I believe Chas commented that Special Ops will be dormant for now and that this will be a stand alone product, but I can't find the post to confirm.

I playtested a scenario from this at WO and I really liked it. Looking forward to it.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That is correct. Hatten will be a stand-alone release.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

IIRC, a number of the scenarios have been redesigned to account for new data. (The book from Leaping Horseman is probably that new data. It's very interesting.)
This is correct. The maps have also been altered somewhat based on some aerial imagery, which of course affected all scenarios and CGs. We don't think it backed things up too much, but certainly it had an impact.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Whereas Dawn of Eagles and Ortona we know have been submitted but have apparently fallen
back in the que.
Ortona is still in playtest in Canada and has not been submitted. Rotterdam is waiting for us to find an interested playtest group.

MMP, with a few exceptions, doesn't playtest CGs at all. We rely upon the designer to oversee their own playtesting before we take a submission for final development and layout. When they say playtesting done, we take it over for production.

Red October has been submitted within the last few months. We have already begun working on it.

We are assisting with the playtest of Hatten.

We are waiting on completion of playtest of the CGs and the stand-alone scenarios for Ponyri before commencing on it.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

had a lot of fun playtesting RO. That one I think will be just as popular as RB.

Scott

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

had a lot of fun playtesting RO. That one I think will be just as popular as RB.

Scott
I agree, and to top it off it has some good guiding hands in its design. This one tops my " must keep ASL dollars to buy it" list.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

Ortona is still in playtest in Canada and has not been submitted. Rotterdam is waiting for us to find an interested playtest group.

MMP, with a few exceptions, doesn't playtest CGs at all. We rely upon the designer to oversee their own playtesting before we take a submission for final development and layout. When they say playtesting done, we take it over for production.

Red October has been submitted within the last few months. We have already begun working on it.

We are assisting with the playtest of Hatten.

We are waiting on completion of playtest of the CGs and the stand-alone scenarios for Ponyri before commencing on it.
Revised the last update (previous page) to reflect Chas' communication. Thanks Chas!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Wrong thread.

Last edited: