Official HASLs & CGs in the works

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope this was sarcasm. The number of DR in an ASL scenario is nowhere near enough to approach the "bell curve" distribution from rolling 2D6. It takes thousands of rolls to approach that with reasonable error bars. Alas, my stat books are in storage and I need them to do the exact calculations.
Carl, is saying exactly that. Although, everything from 'especially' to 'scenario' should be deleted for clarity.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the majority of games I have played on VASL, the difference between a staggering dicing and one that feels like a staggering dicing, is often less than one pip. Since VASL allows you to pull up averages now, for any giving sitting, you can see that before you. What really constitutes a dicing is far more often WHEN the dice break your way, or not.

So the qouted statement is merely part of a much larger point. Even if you could program in truly average dice, you wouldn't want to, as it would not be an accurate representation of the game. That was my larger point and the context in which the statement is made.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What really constitutes a dicing is far more often WHEN the dice break your way, or not.
I fully agree with this statement. All it takes is a few badly timed, very high (or very low) DRs.

What's really good with the dice statistics of VASL is that no matter how badly you played, they will give you a way to justify your losing. If it's not your average DR, it's your average MC DR, or your average IFT DR.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I fully agree with this statement. All it takes is a few badly timed, very high (or very low) DRs.

What's really good with the dice statistics of VASL is that no matter how badly you played, they will give you a way to justify your losing. If it's not your average DR, it's your average MC DR, or your average IFT DR.
Absolutely. Selective bitching I like to call it. Which of course goes hand in hand with selective memory ;-).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which provides more justification to my belief that seriously "good" play means being able to position one's pieces to take advantage of the fortuitous streaks of DR "luck", while mitigating unfavorable streaks of DR "luck". When I can do that consistently, I will know I am getting better at this game. :D

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How many are actually going to see the light of day? That is a big ambitious list and he hasn't even to bother with CH.
Regular exercise & good habits should increase everyone's chances in continuing to see the "light of day". Live long.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Manila HASL looks like it went back to its original designer after he complained about the lack of activity on it for the last 15 odd years. I read this on FB, thats where he complained.

How many are actually going to see the light of day? That is a big ambitious list and he hasn't even to bother with CH.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Manila HASL looks like it went back to its original designer after he complained about the lack of activity on it for the last 15 odd years. I read this on FB, thats where he complained.
I once read on facebook that someone was convinced filling their automatic transmission with cow's milk was the correct answer to stop the noise it was making, so they took it to the dealership to ask for a fill up of cow's milk in their transmission....

If it's on the internet, it must be true....

(quote by Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter)

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once read on facebook that someone was convinced filling their automatic transmission with cow's milk was the correct answer to stop the noise it was making, so they took it to the dealership to ask for a fill up of cow's milk in their transmission....

If it's on the internet, it must be true....

(quote by Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter)
I agree. I get all of my info off of the internet. I haven't seen a live opponent in 10 years. :)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
As David Roth provided us with a status report on Manila today, it seems like a good time for an overall update.

Not sure if you would consider the designer as "official", but if you have any questions you may ask Chas Argent at MMP.
I gave final approval for the digital map about a month ago which will be used to make the final print run map. About two weeks ago I gave the thumbs up on the VASL map. Perry and I still have a LOT of work to due to work out all the little issues with rules wording etc. Fine tuning and making sure everything is in ASL-speak. That process has not begun, and most likely won't until sometime 2018. Scenarios have been though extensive PTing, but Chas will coordinate some VASL PTing to verify our previous results. All five CG's have been done and I was pleased with the results. CG rules are set. The only thing that MMP has committed to is to have this ready for pre-sell by December 31 2020 at the latest....Perry said they would try for 2018 (but that won't happen), 2019 is very possible and what I am hoping for, but most likely sometime mid 2020 for pre-sell. Hope that helps.

Flames In Hatten
U.S. 14th Armored vs German Panzer-Division 21 and Panzer-Grenadier Division 25 in Alsace during Operation NORDWIND, January '45 (single map, 3-date and 5-date Campaign Games (with no Night dates) and several stand-alone scenarios)
  • Andy Rogers
  • MMP Playtest
  • Stand-alone product (format TBD)
Normandy
82nd Airborne experience during D-Day (6 maps in 3 sets - 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20, 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville, and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont plus strategic map to connect them all together; about 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG)
  • Ken Dunn
  • MMP Playtest
  • HASL module
Dinant
Battles around Meuse River crossings in both '40 & '44.
  • CG maps (not in crayon)
  • Dan Dolan, Nadir El-Farra and Carl Nogueira
  • Submission
  • Published in Croix de Guerre, Second Edition
Ortona
Canadian city fight in '44 Italy
  • (CG map)
  • Michael Rodgers & Darren Kovacs, successors to the late Jim McLeod
  • Early playtest
  • [unknown]
Red October
Stalingrad factory adjacent to Red Barricades
  • CG map connects to RB, updated RB map
  • Charlie Kibler & Gary Fortenberry
  • Pre-order
  • HASL module, published as "Red Factories" with Red Barricades reprint included
Manila
'45 Japanese stand in city against US/Filipino effort to liberate
  • Large CG map with scaled-down buildings, now in redraft in digital form; 5 CGs
  • Brian Blad & David Roth
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
The Dawn of Eagles
German investment of Rotterdam in May '40.
  • (detailed CG map of city center, 16 potential scenarios as well as three CGs, more Dutch infantry and vehicles, gunboats and seaplanes)
  • David Meyler
  • Final playtest
  • HASL module
Slaughter At Ponyri
Action on the north flank of the Kursk salient, July '43.
  • (CG map, 15 scenarios in development)
  • Jim Aikens, Jeff Coyle, Pete Shelling, Chas Smith & Matt Zajac
  • Early Playtest
  • HASL module

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks for the synthetic update... though I'm not sure what the order for the various stages is. I can understand that "Early playtest" if before "Final playtest"; how does this compare to "MMP playtest"? (also, is "Pre-order" the last stage before publication?)

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw Hatten at playtest at WO17 and it was nearly complete in all phases. In fact Chas seemed to feel it was likely to go out in 2017. I can't see them doing anything without a Pre-order but I wonder if it's the release planned for WO18.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I saw Hatten at playtest at WO17 and it was nearly complete in all phases. In fact Chas seemed to feel it was likely to go out in 2017. I can't see them doing anything without a Pre-order but I wonder if it's the release planned for WO18.
I think it is going in the journal

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Thanks for the synthetic update... though I'm not sure what the order for the various stages is. I can understand that "Early playtest" if before "Final playtest"; how does this compare to "MMP playtest"? (also, is "Pre-order" the last stage before publication?)
Here's the format key again from the OP:

Title (or Concept, if untitled)
  • Description (content in parentheses)
  • Designer/Honcho
  • Status (Design, Early Playtest, Submission, MMP Playtest, Pre-Order, Production)
  • Publication/Format
Early playtest is simply any testing prior to submission by MMP. It means nothing in terms of stage of development.

Note that although I occasionally reproduce statements about publication dates from project principals, but as these are moving targets I do not include that information in the summary.