Official CMN Release Date Betting Pool.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
While I can't now change my vote, to be honest I'll now be pleasantly surprised if the game does turn up before 2011.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The terrain 'leap' has them slipping-down-slippery-design-black-holes.

It is such a departure from the 'dry' modern games that they probably uncover more problemns with every 'fix' they come up with.

If anyone can tell me how NOT modeling gun depression and hedgerows mix, I would be very happy to listen.

I suspect that the minimum PC requirement may actually be ratcheting up as the CPU intensity acts as a band-aid.

I believe, in the long run, there will be 'Steve's-Law'. This is the law that says that if you try to suppress abstractions in one area of a wargame, more abstractions will be created in other areas instead. Steve's-Law will be the cautionary tale for other fool-hardy design types who get sucked into the 1:1 vortex.

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I admit that I'm probably wrong on BOTH dates.... :(

The biggest indication is lack of offical PROGRESS reports beyond a few screenshots. Most small niche developers would be keeping their "loyal" fan base updated & in the loop if things were going well. Not even announcing the games name by now is a bad sign.

Sadly we can start a new pool in 2011, the Quellist can have 2 dates!

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If it doesn't come out in 2010, anyone want to bet on the continuation of BFC as an independent company?

-dale
I suppose that's subjective. If CMSF NATO comes out and CMA then they will probably go on as before I suppose, as has been said before, they can probably survive for a wee while on that revenue. After all, according to BF, CMSF is generating as much income as the previous games, maybe more. As with everything though, you never can tell. However, I definitely wouldn't like to see that and if I thought it may be the case I'd buy CMA and CM NATO. I still have high hopes for a half decent ww2 game.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I suppose that's subjective. If CMSF NATO comes out and CMA then they will probably go on as before I suppose, as has been said before, they can probably survive for a wee while on that revenue. After all, according to BF, CMSF is generating as much income as the previous games, maybe more. As with everything though, you never can tell. However, I definitely wouldn't like to see that and if I thought it may be the case I'd buy CMA and CM NATO. I still have high hopes for a half decent ww2 game.
Good points; BFC's future may or may not be tied more closely to the continuance of Shock Force than "Normandy." Many are assuming World War II is the bread and butter. I certainly would bet on that, but I have no more real way of knowing it than anyone else. If I had to speculate, I would say that CMSF did dismally as far as sales based on all the factors we've discussed in the past. But I would have no way to "prove it."

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Something else to consider is that CMSF must have been more in the general consumers eye by being boxed in stores. CMN, I think, is only planned to be sold by BF. So casual passers by may not even know it exists. Not every gamer surfs the net and BFs net presence isn't exactly a strong one. I rarely if ever see BF games advertised or mentioned anywhere on the web.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Won't BFC give a "beta" CM:N to reviewers to stir the sales waters WAY ahead of release time like other companies do at expos? (Yes, yes I know CM:SF is the actual Beta version for CM:N)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Won't BFC give a "beta" CM:N to reviewers to stir the sales waters WAY ahead of release time like other companies do at expos? (Yes, yes I know CM:SF is the actual Beta version for CM:N)
They do, but publishing the review is only allowed right after release.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I am always a little skeptical of reviews, there were a couple of sites that actually gave good reviews for CMSF 1.00 (not 1.01 even). Those sites have zero credibility in my view. Its one thing to be excited about the subject, but another to completely ignore major game issues that players pointed out with hours of the games release. I do give some credit for one site owner coming on a forum and admitting being overly-enthusiastic.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
While I am always a little skeptical of reviews, there were a couple of sites that actually gave good reviews for CMSF 1.00 (not 1.01 even). Those sites have zero credibility in my view. Its one thing to be excited about the subject, but another to completely ignore major game issues that players pointed out with hours of the games release. I do give some credit for one site owner coming on a forum and admitting being overly-enthusiastic.
What you are suggesting (I infer) is that there is potential for quid pro quo (give good review, will provide more betas for testing and reviewing) or pure malfeasance (let's send it out to only the guys we know that will give it a good review) with some companies when they pre screen for game reviews.

I think GS does a great job of reviewing games, and have always had complete confidence in their honesty and dedication to providing spot on reviews.

Cheers!

Leto

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think in one case it was just plain bias because the guy was allowed to contribute a few scenarios. I don't think any bad intent was premeditated, but he obviously was not objective. It was the one review that BFC kept trotting out to balance the bad reviews. If not for that, not many would have noticed.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What I miss about the "old" official forums was the fact that you could count the number of new posts in even the restricted forums, and thus have a rough gauge of activity in the beta teams. It was totally imperfect because you had no idea what was being discussed or how much discussion was being done off-forum, but it was at least some sort of fuel for semi-semi-informed speculation. At the very least, you could guess that CM:Campaigns was not progressing at all based on forum activity and be proven right in the end. But now with the new forum software, no way to tell at all. I can't remember if posts in the "beta" forums contributed to post count - if anyone really wanted to stalk a certain beta tester, watching his post count at BFC (with a view to extrapolating post counts and calculating beta team activity)might be a way to do that.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, I forget, did they do one of those "meet at the betatester's house in your area and he'll show you the game so far" showcases with CMSF that they did with BB and AK? If so, is one planned for CMN?

-dale

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hey, I forget, did they do one of those "meet at the betatester's house in your area and he'll show you the game so far" showcases with CMSF that they did with BB and AK? If so, is one planned for CMN?

-dale
Yes, they did do one for CMSF. Rune is the one who hosts it.

I think they would have to complete CM:N before they preview it though. :cheeky: