Offboard Setup Overlay Hex Grid (Test)

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Starting a new thread to continue the discussion begun here:
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/vasl-map-online-problem-suggestion-form.88223/post-1941438

I've attached a test module extension. It adds a tab to the VASL Controls menu bar that contains the overlay. Unzip the attached file and then move the overlaySETUP-TEST-v01.vmdx file to your extensions folder.

Begin a new game in VASL. Select the SETUP TEST OVERLAY menu tab to open another window which contains the overlay. Drag and drop the overlay into your VASL map window. Roughly position the overlay then nudge it into place. When selected you right click on the overlay for overlay menu options (just like any other VASL piece). You use ALT+left click to reselect a placed overlay.

Tell me what you think.

Al

Attachments

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Works great. Thank you.

Is it possible to add a cw/ccw tab (and would the hexes still line up properly against the side)?

(Using the small size to tile along the vertical edges works just fine though... )

Last edited:

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been waiting for something like this. It works great and I just use the road overlay if I want offboard roads. Thanks!
road overlay? In the new draggable overlay system I seem to have everything but a road overlay... where to find?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Works great. Thank you.

Is it possible to add a cw/ccw tab (and would the hexes still line up properly against the side)?

(Using the small size to tile along the vertical edges works just fine though... )
Unfortunately rotating the hex grid by 90 degrees changes the orientation from hex side up to hex spine up so the answer isn't that simple. My initial thought was to add a vertical selection of sizes in addition to the horizontal, but again, I went with the KISS principal and as you say vertically tiling two 5 width horizontal grids seems to work okay. It's for this very reason I added the nudge trait. IMO it's easy enough to roughly place two 5 width grids and nudge them into perfect position.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll still take more if you got it.

How about the selection of horizontal widths; is it adequate enough?

Al

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately rotating the hex grid by 90 degrees changes the orientation from hex side up to hex spine up so the answer isn't that simple. My initial thought was to add a vertical selection of sizes in addition to the horizontal, but again, I went with the KISS principal and as you say vertically tiling two 5 width horizontal grids seems to work okay. It's for this very reason I added the nudge trait. IMO it's easy enough to roughly place two 5 width grids and nudge them into perfect position.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll still take more if you got it.

How about the selection of horizontal widths; is it adequate enough?

Al
I think it's great, more than adequate.

FYI I can't believe I couldn't find the roads. I use those overlays all the time, but those are the old transparent draggable overlays... (not to be confused with the really old completely non-draggable overlays) I was looking in the new non-transparent draggable overlays! LOL. At any rate, there's no prob. I have my roads.