Offboard Level?

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Greetings;

I have received a question about offboard level;

Now here is how it goes, You are playing a scenario that uses half of board 9 say hexrows A-P, and you are going to move your offboard forces on board. Now you're going to enter along the half board edge parallel to hexrow P, the question is

"What level are they on offboard?

He says that they are ground level and that they can not enter on hex that is hill hex say P4, P5, or P6 (all level 2 or 3) because they would have to climb and would not be able to make on to the board in time, or words to that effect.

In addition he states that nowhere in the rules does is state what level they are on.

So are there any takers? And before you answer think about offboard Glider and Paratroop Landings (E8.221 & E9.41)

George "Still in the wilderness, although I do come out once in a while" Kelln

huskerfan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Intuitively, I would guess that offboard forces are at whatever level in necessary for the hex they choose to enter through. It's not like they couldn't have spent the time to climb a hill before the scenario began.

It sounds like an excellent example of limiting your opponent's options by claiming they can only come in on ground level. This could really hurt units on the KPG maps, where there are many different elevation levels on the edge of the maps.

Ask him where in the rules it forbids entering units from selecting a elevated level, or wood, or any other increased-MP hex.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A2.51 says they are all open ground hexes

But they do not mention the level

I would assume they are the level of the hex which goes right to the board edge. Therefore a level on hill on the board edge which does not go to the complete edge would be level 0 and therefore the offboard hex would be level 0. If the hill mass goes to the complete edge, then the offboard hex would be level 1

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:
A2.51 says they are all open ground hexes
Which puts a crimp on Seaborne Assaults!

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically, I don't know for sure. A2.51 simply says all off-board terrain is "open ground" without further clarification. Only A2.6 (Exit) describes the off-board edge hexes as being mirror images of the adjacent on-board hex.

However common sense would dictate that the off-board hexes would be at the same level as the adjacent board-edge hexes, and using the mirror-image technique as described in A2.6 as well as under Paratroop and Glider landings. While I can't defend this through a specific rules citation, I'd find another opponent if someone tried to enforce your friend's interpretation.

Pete