Offboard Actions

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Simply put:

May an offboard squad (ready to enter the board in its MPh) attempt to place Smoke from offboard in order to cover its entrance?

If yes, may it be fired after that attempt (while still offboard)?

Thanks

Yarlis

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per A2.52: "No action is allowed by units offboard awaiting entry [EXC: ... Deployment ...]"

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks, guys, just couldn't find it.

I knew it was somewhere...

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Smoke Grenades

To stir the pot a bit, I'd say squads can try to place Smoke Grenades while offboard to cover their entry.

Here's why: since units are allowed to "move normally" while offboard, and Smoke Grenades are placed using MF, why not place a SG as part of entry? Once its MPh has started the squad is no longer awaiting entry, right? If a 6 is rolled the squad will have to advance on, and if that is not possible it sits out the scenario.

Standing by to be swept before the tide....

Mark

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi, Mark

If your interpretation is correct, there it comes the next problem:
Could that squad be fired upon (while offboard) after that 2MF expenditure? Or is that a free-from-FirstFire MF expenditure?

Yarlis

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yarlis said:
Hi, Mark

If your interpretation is correct, there it comes the next problem:
Could that squad be fired upon (while offboard) after that 2MF expenditure? Or is that a free-from-FirstFire MF expenditure?

Yarlis
Yarlis,

Free from fire, since LOS and fire are prohibited between setup boards and mapboards - read about midway in A2.51.

Mark

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Smoke Grenades

Seabee Mark said:
To stir the pot a bit, I'd say squads can try to place Smoke Grenades while offboard to cover their entry.

Mark
I disagree. Here's why: "... offboard units may move normally on the offboard map so as to enter the mapboard on a hex which is not adjacent to the one they set up in ..."

The movement is restricted. It is only allowed "so as to enter the mapboard on a hex which is not adjacent".

Seabee Mark said:
Here's why: since units are allowed to "move normally" while offboard, and Smoke Grenades are placed using MF, why not place a SG as part of entry?

Mark
I would argue that Smoke Grenade Placement is not "normal movement", because 1) only squads can move thusly, and 2) it is restricted to those squads having a Smoke Placement Exponent.

Seabee Mark said:
Once its MPh has started the squad is no longer awaiting entry, right?

Mark
I disagree. A unit is "awaiting entry" up until the very instant it arrives on board. Surely a unit cannot "enter" before it enters?

Finally, I will pull Rules Order Precedence here. A2.52 states that no action is allowed by units offboard awaiting entry. Smoke Grenade Placement seems like an action to me, though I realize that "action" is not defined in ASL.

One could legally argue that this statement in A2.52 supercedes the statement in A2.51 about "moving normally" on the offboard map. I won't go there, though... :twisted:

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is anyone aware of a Perry sez or errata on this issue.

I searched the Perry sez on the forum but found nothing. Perhaps my search-fu is weak.

I'm of the opinion that the "move normally" in A2.51 allows the smoke gernade attempts, but I'm not that invested either way.