ODGI Steinways

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
A colleague of mine has created a fascinating lecture recital which - surprisingly - ties my love of pianos with the world of ASL. I think might be of interest to Forumites (possibly common knowledge, though when I learned he was working on this, it was all news to me :rolleyes:). The topic was Steinway and Son's Victory Vertical project during WW2.

Like many industries, Steinway's regular production was disrupted during the war (pianos use a lot of metal - iron, brass, copper to say nothing of wood!). Instead, as one of the largest manufacturies (of anything) in the world, the company was enlisted to help the military construct gliders and caskets. When the company suggested building pianos for the troops, the Army balked at first. They liked the idea of sending pianos for morale, but assumed they could find a less-expensive manufacturer. But Steinway argued that since the Army sends only the best weapons, equipment and clothing to its troops, they should have the best pianos...

Between 1942 and 1953, Steinway produced over 5000 "Victory Verticals," special pianos distributed to U.S. forces around the world. These were designed to be dropped by parachute out of the B-17 Flying Fortress, along with a package of sheet music containing popular songs, hymns, classical music, and patriotic tunes. The little green, ODGI Pianos (olive drab general issue) were played by servicemen, pick-up orchestras, and touring entertainers. Considering the central role the early-20th century piano served in the American home, the instruments are frequently and fondly remembered by troops who encountered them overseas.

Straight outa the box.jpgSteinway at camp.jpg

Dr. Pedersen's talk contains many specifics, diving deep into music as a cultural, political, and propaganda force. He intersperses his talk by performing much music relevant to the time. From a Boogie Woogie "Chattanooga Choo Choo" (the #1 song at the start of the war) to "Moonlight Serenade" (remembering Major Glenn Miller whose plane crashed en route to entertain troops in France). But ultimately, this performer is a world-class pianist (a Steinway Artist, in fact), so you'll really be blown away by his playing of American art composers - those like Samuel Barber and Ross Lee Finney (founder of UM's composition department). Both men served in WW2, and Finney received the Purple Heart. Gary played his 4th Sonata - an awesome bit of virtuosity! - which seems to represent a struggle with PTSD (and ultimately finds comfort in an Irish hymn found among the packs of music drops along with those ODGI Steinways).

Dr. Pedersen will soon be bringing his program to Washington state and Arizona. He offers it as well to VA groups and others - just drop him an email if you're interested. Here's a link to the website he created for this project. And here is another to Steinway's own photo essay about the Victory Verticals.

Now someone needs to create a HASL that includes these pianos - I want one among my U.S. OoB counters!!

Proposed SSR:
  • Can be operated by 1-3 SMCs. M#=8.
  • ODGIs have no attack strength, but do provide +2, portable TEM to its possessor.
  • When in use, provide a +1 morale to friendly troops within 6 hexes
  • Have an attack strength of 8FP when dropped onto enemy personal (from upper-level buildings, rooftops and cliff hexsides).
P.S. and remember: the next time you play a U.S. glider scenario... your men can be proud! They're flying a Steinway!

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Proposed SSR:
  • Can be operated by 1-3 SMCs. M#=8.
  • ODGIs have no attack strength, but do provide +2, portable TEM to its possessor.
  • When in use, provide a +1 morale to friendly troops within 6 hexes
  • Have an attack strength of 8FP when dropped onto enemy personal (from upper-level buildings, rooftops and cliff hexsides).

• When in use, provide a +1 morale to friendly troops within 6 hexes [EXC: If Lili Marlene played German Personnel/Inherent Crew morale is one less than normal]
  • Cannot gain concealment while being played.
  • In a night scenario gun flash placed on its location if being played (racket/noise/music).

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
  • When in use, provide a +1 morale to friendly troops within 6 hexes [EXC: If Lili Marlene played German Personnel/Inherent Crew morale is one less than normal]
NOTE: Specific repertoire by SSR only (or by expending extra CG Purchase Points).

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

• Cannot gain concealment while being played.
  • In a night scenario gun flash placed on its location if being played (racket/noise/music).
My Brits could have made good use of their Steinways during our Rees CG last year.
I don't know if they could have been transported via carrier though.